Preview AFL Round 1 - Hawthorn v Geelong, MCG, Monday April 6 3.20PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that all the NAB games are done our focus turns to the first round of the premiership season, so time to start looking ahead to our first opponent.

Pre match discussion to be here, fire away.

My guess is Haw would be confident that they could cause enough turnovers while not giving many in return. We will need to find a 3rd way to goals but m guess is Clark and Hawkins playing will worry them.
The form of Kelly and Bartel is positive for us being competitive in the midfield but we need more form our younger players.
Our backline is not perfect , far from it. Hardly any of them are still at their best. The sooner we start groom other down there the better , but for the Hawks it may be better for us long term to go in with these guys and if they get shown up , it will put a peg in the ground.

My guess is Haw would be confident that they could cause enough turnovers while not giving many in return. We will need to find a 3rd way to goals but m guess is Clark and Hawkins playing will worry them.
The form of Kelly and Bartel is positive for us being competitive in the midfield but we need more form our younger players.
Our backline is not perfect , far from it. Hardly any of them are still at their best. The sooner we start groom other down there the better , but for the Hawks it may be better for us long term to go in with these guys and if they get shown up , it will put a peg in the ground.
Interesting analysis. I always viewed your back half as being the strength of your. Why has this all of a sudden changed?

Interesting analysis. I always viewed your back half as being the strength of your. Why has this all of a sudden changed?
It still is. I think people are getting nervous because it hasn't changed in composition for quite some years, as a team we have slid and people are putting two and two together and getting eleventy.

It is not perfect , far from it doesn't mean its not a strength.... but I do think our forwardline is more vibrant. I look at Rivers & Enright , and neither look like to take a high leaping mark. Still very steady but on the way down.

Things im looking forward to seeing.

• Simpson vs Hale. I think Dawson can beat him. I reckon he has ran each of the NAB cup games out better and better and another 2 week of concentrated running will see him getting better on a weekly basis.
  • Bews on Rioli. I reckon thats gonna be a great one to watch.
  • Would LOVE to see Caddy be given a run with role on Mitchell.
  • Hawkins vs Frawley. Hawk could dominate like a GI at a brothel.
  • Clark vs Lake. Extra height and athleticism. Love the look of that.
  • A center square of Johnson, Selwood and Bartel, with Cocky and Motlop sprinting in off the wings. thats as good as any center square they have.
  • Blitz drifting forward, to make that lurking seagul flog Gibson actually accountable. He is a poor mans Nick Maxwell and the minute he gets an opponent he is found out.
  • Taylor vs Roughy. Mouth watering.
  • Rivers vs Gunston. Rivers will beat him like he stole something.
  • Guthrie to run with Lewis when he has it and to make him accountable when we have it.

Cats by 45 points.

Things im looking forward to seeing.

• Simpson vs Hale. I think Dawson can beat him. I reckon he has ran each of the NAB cup games out better and better and another 2 week of concentrated running will see him getting better on a weekly basis.
  • Bews on Rioli. I reckon thats gonna be a great one to watch.
  • Would LOVE to see Caddy be given a run with role on Mitchell.
  • Hawkins vs Frawley. Hawk could dominate like a GI at a brothel.
  • Clark vs Lake. Extra height and athleticism. Love the look of that.
  • A center square of Johnson, Selwood and Bartel, with Cocky and Motlop sprinting in off the wings. thats as good as any center square they have.
  • Blitz drifting forward, to make that lurking seagul flog Gibson actually accountable. He is a poor mans Nick Maxwell and the minute he gets an opponent he is found out.
  • Taylor vs Roughy. Mouth watering.
  • Rivers vs Gunston. Rivers will beat him like he stole something.
  • Guthrie to run with Lewis when he has it and to make him accountable when we have it.
Cats by 45 points.
Lake will go to Hawkins and the two ex Dees will be on each other. Hawkins would be too strong for Frawley and Clark would be too athletic for Lake so to do those match-ups would be a coach killer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt it will be that way CMIA ,

Id say Hawkins V Lake , Clark V Frawley.

Boy it makes it real interesting if we had a third marking tall.

Riolli on Bews , that will be difficult
I reckon Bews will learn a lot from it. And yeah a 3rd marking forward will be good. I expect to see Blicavs spend a lot of time forward stretching their defence.

I'm strangely looking forward to this game. Previously, it's been so stressful going in thinking "can we do it again?" Now, we are deservedly underdogs, and yet we have a list that if it plays for 120 minutes, could worry Hawthorn a lot.
They are so classy with their kicking game, and score goals from so many avenues, and easily.
MITCHELL- this guy is a freak. The only player I would love to see go hth with him is KELLY. Caddy needs to learn to get his own ball, imho. Kelly is clever, fit, strong, can concentrate, and would probably love the challenge.

I'm strangely looking forward to this game. Previously, it's been so stressful going in thinking "can we do it again?" Now, we are deservedly underdogs, and yet we have a list that if it plays for 120 minutes, could worry Hawthorn a lot.
They are so classy with their kicking game, and score goals from so many avenues, and easily.
MITCHELL- this guy is a freak. The only player I would love to see go hth with him is KELLY. Caddy needs to learn to get his own ball, imho. Kelly is clever, fit, strong, can concentrate, and would probably love the challenge.
Maybe - but who is gonna win his own ball and damage Hawthorn more VDubs? - Kelly looks fit and sharp. And he to me is gonna be more damaging in the midfield without a run with role than Caddy at the moment. And Caddy will learn a bunch running with a player like Mitchell. And Caddy is stronger than Kelly.

Maybe - but who is gonna win his own ball and damage Hawthorn more VDubs? - Kelly looks fit and sharp. And he to me is gonna be more damaging in the midfield without a run with role than Caddy at the moment. And Caddy will learn a bunch running with a player like Mitchell. And Caddy is stronger than Kelly.
Good points.
Not sure about the highlighted though. Kelly is a brilliant tackler, and rarely goes to ground.
Mitchell is so vital for them, maybe we assign a different player each quarter.

Feels quite appropriate, really. First game of the season: Hawks. Back together again. Can't live with them, can't live without them. In the words of the Joker, "you ... complete me".

To cut a long story short, I think it'll be an amazing game and we'll play better than most expect. Can't wait!

Actually , I think Jerry Maguire said it first... but I think I like your imagery better.

Jerry was moaning and all syrupy , room full of women and him loving one.. Barh Humbug.

The Joker was trying to draw the bad side out of Batman , just how bad did the righteous have to become to win a battle with bad. And the Joker would be Batmans most acknowledged adversary.

When was the last time we did that? Round 5 last year?

Actually , I think Jerry Maguire said it first... but I think I like your imagery better.

Jerry was moaning and all syrupy , room full of women and him loving one.. Barh Humbug.

The Joker was trying to draw the bad side out of Batman , just how bad did the righteous have to become to win a battle with bad. And the Joker would be Batmans most acknowledged adversary.

Yeah not a big fan of Tom Cruise but I do like Cameron Crowe's films generally, Almost Famous especially. The quote itself works much better in terms of the dichotomy of the hero and the villain, neither is truly themselves without each other. I would expect Geelong to be Batman in this scenario, of course :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back