Preview AFL Round 1 - Hawthorn v Geelong, MCG, Monday April 6 3.20PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the match committee overlook them, P. I feel it's more that a) we've had no better options offering his flexibility at times and b) they've been using him over other possible options with a view to the long term picture and have been prepared to take the hit, regardless of short term failure.
18-4 and 17-5 while playing Blicavs- could we have done better without him?
I hope you're right with the long term prediction on Blitz....I'm sceptical. I'll tell you what if Blitz could somehow start becoming a contested marking player I could definitely see his value in the ruck down back or forward, but for a tall man he's pretty useless in that area of his game at the moment.

On that I agree. Not quite in the way others would though.

It's an interesting comparison to make between Waite for North and Clark for us this season. Both have been frustrating players at many times through their careers. I'm still not convinced on either, although Clark has been encouraging. And I'd rather have Clark than Waite. Clark for all his ills (at times), is still only 27, and doesn't turn 28 until after the season ends. If fit, he's got plenty of footy left. Waite is already 32, and hasn't played more than 16 games in any one season since 2008. He's also equally liable to get injured or suspended at any given point.
Clark may be better than Waite, but NM def got him for a flag tilt- this year; likely based on his great performance against NM, and against Geelong. We (or I) are talking about this season, 2015, and Waite = Clark. Besides, NM has several other very good tall options up fwd- BBrown, Tarrant, Daw- all capable of worrying defenders, apart from Petrie. And an excellent ruck setup.

I'm of the belief that we should forget about a three pronged tall attack up forward, it'll play into their hands a little. They have Frawley, Lake, Stratton and Gibson to take care of that.

We need to play the 2 big guys plus a few crumbing and pacy types who apply pressure.

Isolate Clark or Hawkins deep against Frawley and have Lang and Gregson or similar at his feet. We need to prevent their swift ball movement from defence and pressure will play a part in this. We can't afford to be top heavy up forward... It'll play into the hands of their game plan. Frawley dropped his bundle one NAB match when he made a few errors and was soundly beaten by White, and could do so again.

Make Gibson accountable by playing a smaller type on him and move him around, away from our dangerous talls.

Name names please.

I hope you're right with the long term prediction on Blitz....I'm sceptical. I'll tell you what if Blitz could somehow start becoming a contested marking player I could definitely see his value in the ruck down back or forward, but for a tall man he's pretty useless in that area of his game at the moment.
I don't think his marking is as bad as you think - but he took only half of the amount of contested marks last season than in his first year. Is that a bad thing- ie is he not contesting the marks or does it mean that he's getting out into the open and taking uncontested marks instead? He averages 4 marks per game, which is not a bad average and it improved from about 3 the previous year, though it's a bit behind some of the other talls- but they can't all be a Tom, Dick or Harry, can they?

I'm not sure if his progression last year was as sharply upward as it was in his first year but I do think that he's a quick study of whatever roles he's been given and hope that he can be given one role to learn and stick with for this season- whether it be in the AFL or VFL. Hopefully it won't be in the ruck- and I say this because if he's not in the ruck, that should mean that we have Simpson and/or HMac chuffing along quite nicely and not needing a chop out from Blicavs. :)

I'm of the belief that we should forget about a three pronged tall attack up forward, it'll play into their hands a little. They have Frawley, Lake, Stratton and Gibson to take care of that.

We need to play the 2 big guys plus a few crumbing and pacy types who apply pressure.

Isolate Clark or Hawkins deep against Frawley and have Lang and Gregson or similar at his feet. We need to prevent their swift ball movement from defence and pressure will play a part in this. We can't afford to be top heavy up forward... It'll play into the hands of their game plan. Frawley dropped his bundle one NAB match when he made a few errors and was soundly beaten by White, and could do so again.

Make Gibson accountable by playing a smaller type on him and move him around, away from our dangerous talls.

You've pretty much nailed it. Two key forwards with the drifting ruckman like McIntosh is probably the way to go. Often in the past it was always the Hawkins/Podsiadly combination that troubled as well as the small crumbing forwards like Johnson, Murdoch, Bartel and co. Whether or not Clark can do what Pods did and draw the footy to him remains to be seen. Personally though I reckon Clark will be a handful. If Johnson is fit he's one player who's been a difficult match-up for us to shut down over the years.

Chris Scott did say on Friday that both Cockatoo and Gregson were in the frame for Round 1. :D
I'm hoping Lang's ahead of both, even based on limited possessions. These are the types of games where kids grow.

You've pretty much nailed it. Two key forwards with the drifting ruckman like McIntosh is probably the way to go. Often in the past it was always the Hawkins/Podsiadly combination that troubled as well as the small crumbing forwards like Johnson, Murdoch, Bartel and co. Whether or not Clark can do what Pods did and draw the footy to him remains to be seen. Personally though I reckon Clark will be a handful. If Johnson is fit he's one player who's been a difficult match-up for us to shut down over the years.
We're working on cloning him :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We did, but he's had 4 ACL recos in the interim
Funny you say that. I said when Menzel was first drafted that he was an SJ clone. I often wonder what would have been... sad story.

I know what you mean, but I gave up on that long ago. Questioning a Hawthorn fan's behaviour is like asking why serial killers are evil.

It's a worrying sign but I think it may be some of them are on the Jenkem.

John C. Zulu, director of the Ministry of Sport, Youth and Child Development in Zambia, said in November 2007 that jenkem usage is less common than glue-sniffing and, "Initially, they used to get it from the sewer, but they make it anywhere [...] They say it keeps them warm and makes them fearless."

Chasing that b2b cup dragon and takin' the "poos & wees" thing to the next level may explain why some Hawk fans come across in a haze of psychotic delusion like no other species of footy fans.
When the pieces fit....
:drunk:

I think if Lang starts the season as a FP he will be ok. He will need games to get the pace and feel of the game - but he will contribute. I think be season's end he will also be getting 10-15 % game time in the middle as well. Not sure how good he could be but he has started ok by me. I think he just needs the backing of the MC to give him games - and strategic rests thru the season.

I think he may well go match or pass Murdoch this season.
People's expectations are too high, they seem to expect every kitten to play like Selwood, Bartel or GAJ + forget that all our veterans took time to develop. With Lang JD, would you play him in Rd1?

People's expectations are too high, they seem to expect every kitten to play like Selwood, Bartel or GAJ + forget that all our veterans took time to develop. With Lang JD, would you play him in Rd1?
The class of 2001 were performing pretty well by 2004 but even in 2002 we had a run of 5 wins in a row including a win over the pies when they were Grand Finalists, Lang and co won't be consistent but they will still perform pretty well in some games and that's all you can expect. Hopefully round 1 is one of those games.

Blicavs is the interesting one, I mean what do we do with him? Say we don't sub out Mcintosh then where does Blicavs go when Mitch Clark is rucking and McIntosh is having a rest? I don't back him in defense, definitely not in attack (as he can't take contested marks) and I fear Clarkson would exploit his lack of real pace in the midfield.
There was an article on the Cats website, which I posted previously. Blitz will be playing more in the midfield this year as well as everywhere else Scotty wants him to play - back + ruck.

There was an article on the Cats website, which I posted previously. Blitz will be playing more in the midfield this year as well as everywhere else Scotty wants him to play - back + ruck.
His role. Mr.Fixit who can't really fix it. He's not a forward or a wingman on exposed evidence. 2nd ruck or prospective defender.

Id have concerns on going in too tall , but Im also of the opinion that what ever both side serve up R1 will not be the peg in the ground , I think it may be a "look and see". So I rule nothing out.

Personally I see the attraction of Clark/Hawkins/Walker forwardline is that when Clark moves into the ruck we still have two talls. Simpson is no forward. There were times in NAB when we had Clark,Hawkins and Blitz forward so again I think nothing set in concrete.

Ideal to have a medium forward like a Fyfe who can play tall with leap , but we do not really have that..but SJ as the third forward could present serious issues for defenders , just not sure if he is what Id call a pressure forward. Id not really want to see him going lame chasing defenders.

So Simpson/Hmacs game this time will be watched for affect. Having both restricts us, Hmac a little more flexible but not a heap. Stanley may present us with more options down the track

Funny you say that. I said when Menzel was first drafted that he was an SJ clone. I often wonder what would have been... sad story.
Exactly- those early almost cocky shots for goal and penchant for trying the near impossible, and mostly coming off.
We can hope.

Hey mate, what's the word on Birchall? Is he likely to play or will he be held back?

And also, I've always been curious, what does WWSD stand for? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back