Preview AFL Round 1 - Hawthorn v Geelong, MCG, Monday April 6 3.20PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it was a praccie game but Bartell got 22 possessions after coming on at half time against the Blues...not bad for an old fella.
He's ready.
But can he play 4 quarters of quality footy against Hawthorn rd 1 2015?

Well Im sure there are plenty but of the top of my head.... 1995 , we finished 2nd played in the GF...they finished 15th second last. So we play a bottom team at KP
and.....
View attachment 120311
Looks like another case of bad kicking too, and yep, you have a point-countless times have they done that to us! What about the game at Princes park when we were so far ahead at half time -they got us.
Still, I believe that during the streak from Round 1 2009, Hawks would have started favorites in more of those matches. Yet we won them all.

A fit Bartel - he clearly rivals Hodge.
As a player , you are correct Bartel does rival Hodge talent wise, but what Hodge brings to the table is his leadership, his amazing ability to read the game and organize our defenders and all those around him, he is like having a coach out on the ground.

The tone of mainstream of fans sounds totally the other way around after we got defeated last two times. Stand firm, guys. Our team will turn the tone back. Our team can win the match.

Our team will be more prepared. Stand tall and fight hard. If our team can do so, I actually don't care win or lose, specially it's the first game.

As a player , you are correct Bartel does rival Hodge talent wise, but what Hodge brings to the table is his leadership, his amazing ability to read the game and organize our defenders and all those around him, he is like having a coach out on the ground.

And James Bartel, the browlow medal winning midfielder doesn't offer the same to us? sorry RH but they are both on field leaders at their respective clubs. To suggest otherwise is actually quite disrespectful I feel.

Yep Hodgey is great but to be fair, a drover's dog could lead Hawks through this period. The hardest thing he has had to deal with is getting done time and again by Geelong!;)

Bartel does the same and has also been a big game performer - winning matches with clutch performances. Hodge doesn't edge him out at all.

But can he play 4 quarters of quality footy against Hawthorn rd 1 2015?

Coming in fresh like everyone else in Round 1? He will but like everyone else he will be buffered at 3/4 time.
Same goes for SJ , Kelly and Enright as long as they are fresh.
But flog them all season to finish top 4 and history will repeat itself
We need to play our depth and rest our Champs so they are fresh for the Finals , do that right and anything can happen

What are you talking about?!?!?!

Between win 1 and 11 of that 'streak' we accumulated 2 more flags. That sounds like backing it up to me.

Winning 2 H&A games per year against the Hawks helped us achieve a ladder position which aided our title tilts in 2009 and 2011.
And assisted the slipping out of the 8 that year by that club, who missed the 8 by 6 ladder points, or 1.5 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Respectfully Disagree BC.

Sure Bartel is not Selwood, but Selwood is another level again. Bartel is still an exceptional on field leader. Just goes about it differently is all.
I suppose we'll agree to disagree then. I fear Bartel cares more about modelling than on field leadership these days. When he's down back I never see him barking instructions or being vocal out there like Hodge. He's still a good player but just not in Hodges class re: leadership.

Kelly didn't roll his ankle until the warm-up of the final against North. It had no bearing on the Qualifying Final.
This is wrong. He hurt it against Brisbane in the last game before the finals. It was clear for everyone to see and I remember it vividly. Unfortunately for him it was also an inverted sprain (it rolled inwards). These sprains take longer to heal due to the fact that the ligaments on the inside of the ankle support the weight of the body which means that they are constantly under stress.

It definitely played a role in his poor form during the finals series IMO.

This is wrong. He hurt it against Brisbane in the last game before the finals. It was clear for everyone to see and I remember it vividly. Unfortunately for him it was also an inverted sprain (it rolled inwards). These sprains take longer to heal due to the fact that the ligaments on the inside of the ankle support the weight of the body which means that they are constantly under stress.

I too vaguely remembered that. Fanfooty which I use for SC scores still has the bandaid next to him which would suggest that yes he was contrary to Partridges recollection injured prior to finals.

I too vaguely remembered that. Fanfooty which I use for SC scores still has the bandaid next to him which would suggest that yes he was contrary to Partridges recollection injured prior to finals.
Had to go back to the game day thread but it's there in black and white. You and Stan The Caddy are both correct- here's the call by Catdog http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...long-v-brisbane.1074902/page-25#post-34809109
then the anguish in the voice of coylez http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...long-v-brisbane.1074902/page-25#post-34809130
Podsnap explains what happened:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...long-v-brisbane.1074902/page-26#post-34809133

Great pick up, StC. :)
Your memory is much better than the memories of us old codgers!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back