Preview MATCH CANCELLED: AFL Round 14 - Adelaide v Geelong, Adelaide Oval, 3:20PM Sunday 5 July

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fine players once upon a time. Bartel definitely ahead of Kelly but David, you've been living in Switzerland too long. I doubt even Bartel would make it amongst our best 10 players at the club these days.
I'd have to pick Blicavs, Hawkins, Duncan, Caddy, Taylor, Thurlow, Motlop, Enright, Rivers & Selwood ahead of him.
Lang and Bews quickly closing the gap as very important players to our team structure too.

Well Bobby….you can put your condescending "been in Switzerland too long" remark and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

As for your top ten……wasn't it you who was saying that Hawkins wasn't performing well enough and should be replaced only a week or so ago? …that he was past his best and should get games in the VFL….…but of course...he's still better than Bartel ...:rolleyes:

I'm interested…...What do you base your denigration of Bartel on exactly?

1)He has played…wait for it…one game in 2015 (he lasted only a few minutes against GCS). So let's write him off on that 28 possession performance?

2) He was a fine player "once upon a time"?…based on what exactly…your calendar? You have zero evidence of Jimmy's present abilities to rely on….because he hasn't played! The most recent empirical evidence you have on Jimmy Bartel would be last years Carji where he finished in the top 10 (7th as it happens)…but s**t, he was a fine player "once upon a time"…..:cool:

IS he as good as he was when he was 25…no….but is he still a very good footballer? and will he be picked when fit?….you bet he will be.

Now I know denigrating older players fits your agenda of playing young players no matter what and taking advantage of higher draft picks because we lose games...( but its not tanking..really its not)…well you can have that agenda……..….meanwhile I want Geelong to pick the best players available, try to win every game no matter what, give kids games when its warranted (see below) and apply the same criteria to the older players.

If you do that, Bartel will be picked every time, and I would suggest Kelly gets a game pretty regularly as well. Young players get opportunities to put their case, as we have seen this year…lets see….players under 30 games…..Gregson, Cockatoo, Thurlow, Cowan, Bews, Lang, Kersten, Kolo, Luxford and Walker have all had games this year, ( most multiple games) and we are only half way through the season...…Gore and Blease will probably get a run along with Jansen in the second half of the season if form warrants it.

I think you need a holiday in Switzerland to regain some perspective…..

Smedts has a golden ticket so I'd expect him to come in for Kolo

Kolo hasn't done anything wrong but unless they drop one of the big defenders he shouldn't be getting games

If Simpson is serviceable it should be close

Ffs this is getting ridiculous now. This obsession with the future. How about the now? Let's worry about winning games of footy NOW!

Bartel and Kelly coming back in is somehow bad now. Well that's a head scratcher. Lack midfield depth but denigrate two experienced mids coming in to help out Joel who's getting battered and bruised.
Yeah at the end of the day we ARE playing plenty of kids, and winning games of footy is still important. For the development of the kids, for the support in regards to sponsorship dollars off field and for the culture of the place.

Look how many years Melbourne have been down and out for, it's taken them ages to get to a position to be able to do what they did to us the other week.

We need to play kids and look ahead yes... but we can't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Don't worry about Bob... he is just being overly negative to compensate for being overly positive the last few years and being wrong

Interesting to see how we handle Betts & Cameron after the run around Jeffy Garlett gave us last game.
I was thinking about that the other night... hopefully Bews is better this weekend and I'm guessing Boris takes the other and does what Boris does

Seriously run me through the logic of how he wouldn't make a difference to our midfield at present, how he wouldn't help Joel, who we all acknowledge desperately needs help? **** I'd say at present he'd give us more than SJ as a mid so why not drop him for Jim.

The question is though, how likely are they to play in midfield? There haven't been too many times in recent seasons where both have played there at once. Bartel spent most of 2013 in defence and Kelly spent most of 2014 there.

Smedts has a golden ticket so I'd expect him to come in for Kolo

Kolo hasn't done anything wrong but unless they drop one of the big defenders he shouldn't be getting games

If Simpson is serviceable it should be close

To be fair to Smedts, he wasn't our worst in the opening two rounds prior to suspension, and he did the right thing and played well at VFL level on his return from injury. It would make it better balanced too for him to come in for Kolodjashnij. Just hoping with Thurlow and Bews more established, he can be played up forward.

The question is though, how likely are they to play in midfield? There haven't been too many times in recent seasons where both have played there at once. Bartel spent most of 2013 in defence and Kelly spent most of 2014 there.
With our midfield in the state it is now? Going up against a good midfield from Adelaide getting supply from a good ruckman.

I'd say there's a good chance at least 1 of them will play midfield.

Raising 2013-14 is irrelevant right now. We're yet again dead last for clearances and Joel desperately needs help. I'd say one would play midfield for sure if fit and selected.

Kelly could play ahead of Luxford and Bartel ahead of Kersten. Bartel playing across half forward while rotating into the midfield, possibly rotating with Caddy?

Kelly could and has this year played midfield now that Thurlow and Bews have bedded down defenders spots for themselves.

Damn. Must be a helluva calf injury.

Bugger .... he was vital for me, with Talia taking Hawk a Clark could really open up Cheney/Hartigan
as well as the ruck chop out giving Walker more of a chance to be forward as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would feel so much better about this game if we'd beat Melbourne. Anyways, like others have said, we could beat them by 20 points, we could lose by 60 points, depends which teams turn up.

1)He has played…wait for it…one game in 2015 (he lasted only a few minutes against GCS). So let's write him off on that 28 possession performance?

On top of averaging twenty two possessions and kicking twenty seven goals last year, yeah think that proves he's "just about cooked" I'd say. ;)

*Not sure if Bobby's taking the p**s or he's completely lost it* :)

Anyway, bit clearer now with Clark ruled out so .............

In Bartel, Kelly and Simpson

Out Luxford, Kersten and Kolodjashnij.

On top of averaging twenty two possessions and kicking twenty seven goals last year, yeah think that proves he's "just about cooked" I'd say. ;)

For the meat tray

In Bartel Kelly Simpson
Out Murdoch (inj - Won't come up), Luxford, Kolo

Overall, a much much better team than the one rolled by the dees

Both spent the preseason training heavily in an effort to be fit enough to both play midfield this season. It's anyone's guess as to what effect their injuries have had on their fitness levels but I reckon both looked OK early this season- i.e. OK enough to be able to play a large proportion of the game in the midfield.

That's a bugger about Clark. I'm starting to think "HMac" every time Clark gets injured now, though to his credit, he's played a lot more games than Hamish played in his first season at the Cats.

For the meat tray

In Bartel Kelly Simpson
Out Murdoch (inj - Won't come up), Luxford, Kolo

Overall, a much much better team than the one rolled by the dees

Forgot about Murdoch, if he doesn't come up I'd bring in Smedts, making it four changes.

That's a bugger about Clark. I'm starting to think "HMac" every time Clark gets injured now, though to his credit, he's played a lot more games than Hamish played in his first season at the Cats.

Don't think we'll ever feel confident about Clark to be honest, just have to expect the worst while hoping for the best. *fingers crossed*

Don't worry about Bob... he is just being overly negative to compensate for being overly positive the last few years and being wrong

lol, not really Shane, I'm not as wrong as often as you seem to believe. And I was positive for a reason as we were winning and rocking up to preliminary finals back then. These last 12-18 months have been quite a wake up call and it's unfortunate yourself and most of the other posters who have been here for a while happen to take sides all because your opinion disagrees with my own, or anyone else who is concerned about the direction our once mighty club is taking.

Well Bobby….you can put your condescending "been in Switzerland too long" remark and stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

As for your top ten……wasn't it you who was saying that Hawkins wasn't performing well enough and should be replaced only a week or so ago? …that he was past his best and should get games in the VFL….…but of course...he's still better than Bartel ...:rolleyes:

No David, I wasn't saying he should get games in the VFL, I was saying he isn't jumping at the ball these days because he's physically past his best due to the back issue he sustained a couple of years ago. You really need to read over posts a lot more clearly ok.
And as for top 10, yes, I've been stating for a while now that Bartel has declined to the point he, along with a few other veterans are well past their glory days of dominating the competition.
Hawkins is currently still dominating so it's quite obvious he's well ahead of Jimmy even with the bunged up back.

2) He was a fine player "once upon a time"?…based on what exactly…your calendar? You have zero evidence of Jimmy's present abilities to rely on….because he hasn't played! The most recent empirical evidence you have on Jimmy Bartel would be last years Carji where he finished in the top 10 (7th as it happens)…but s**t, he was a fine player "once upon a time"…..:cool:

IS he as good as he was when he was 25…no….but is he still a very good footballer? and will he be picked when fit?….you bet he will be.

I believe Bartel is one of the better performing veterans we have at the moment. Go search some of my posts in the history tab and you can clearly see I mentioned this so don't start twisting my words around.
Bartel is still a decent player but your kidding yourself if you think he's one of our best. And using last previous years B&F results is completely irrelevant.

Now I know denigrating older players fits your agenda of playing young players no matter what and taking advantage of higher draft picks because we lose games...( but its not tanking..really its not)…well you can have that agenda……..….

So it's ok to slag off Joel Selwood and ask him to do more in the roasting thread but at the same time, you don't want Geelong to slide as you want them to keep on fighting the good fight, finish as high as possible which again devoids us the opportunity of finding top end midfield talent at the national draft. Don't you see the irony there?
You are happy to give Selwood a clip behind the ears for not doing enough but at the same time, you don't wish for the club to find him some much needed help? Righteo.

meanwhile I want Geelong to pick the best players available, try to win every game no matter what, give kids games when its warranted (see below) and apply the same criteria to the older players.

If you do that, Bartel will be picked every time, and I would suggest Kelly gets a game pretty regularly as well. Young players get opportunities to put their case, as we have seen this year…lets see….players under 30 games…..Gregson, Cockatoo, Thurlow, Cowan, Bews, Lang, Kersten, Kolo, Luxford and Walker have all had games this year, ( most multiple games) and we are only half way through the season...…Gore and Blease will probably get a run along with Jansen in the second half of the season if form warrants it.

I think you need a holiday in Switzerland to regain some perspective…..

As for Pops, he's gone on for one year too many and that was unfortunately not his fault but the clubs for signing him a contract extension in the middle of last year, prior to his form slump but nope, Kelly is just about finished. Wonderful career but the likes of Bews and Thurlow have gone past him as defenders (something you didn't think would happen), and if he is going to be playing midfield, Bartel cannot be in there either which then means another youngster like Kersten will probably get the chop so that Bartel can go forward where he's only ever averaged about the same number of goals as Kersten.

lol, not really Shane, I'm not as wrong as often as you seem to believe. And I was positive for a reason as we were winning and rocking up to preliminary finals back then. These last 12-18 months have been quite a wake up call and it's unfortunate yourself and most of the other posters who have been here for a while happen to take sides all because your opinion disagrees with my own, or anyone else who is concerned about the direction our once mighty club is taking.
Bobby you've gone a complete 180 on the club in the last few months, but pre season you still thought we could be top 4 which you mentioned in the inquisition that you then bailed on.. also I don't take sides with anyone, I just call it how I see it.

Posters like myself saw us dropping last year... many predicted a finish of around 6th, it was clearly obvious throughout the year we were over achieving pinching several wins we arguably didn't deserve.

I in no way think everything is positive, nor am I a drama queen... it's ok to be balanced and question some things while being happy with others

Anyone see on channel 9 they just had Joel Selwood injured at training expected to play didnt get to hear what the injury was.

Anyone see on channel 9 they just had Joel Selwood injured at training expected to play didnt get to hear what the injury was.
F*************K

Bobby you've gone a complete 180 on the club in the last few months, but pre season you still thought we could be top 4 which you mentioned in the inquisition that you then bailed on.. also I don't take sides with anyone, I just call it how I see it.

Posters like myself saw us dropping last year... many predicted a finish of around 6th, it was clearly obvious throughout the year we were over achieving pinching several wins we arguably didn't deserve.

I in no way think everything is positive, nor am I a drama queen... it's ok to be balanced and question some things while being happy with others

you have always had habit of quoting me mate.
I don't respect you much as poster as you know fair well some of the crap you use to post before changing your username from ShaneO to Willo.
If you really wish to get stuck into me, how about I go search for some of your great blunders? The Lonergan s**t you use to post is comical. At least I never gave up on the guys who eventually became champs. I'm merely giving up on the ones who are now becoming a great liability, something you seem to be very eager to blast me on.

Anyways, as for my prediction of our position this year, I didn't take into account the amount of injuries which have kind of impacted us. We'd probably be sitting at 8-4 had it not been for the losses of Duncan, Vardy, McCarthy, Simpson, Horlin-Smith or Smedts, the players I thought would be giving us their most productive footy since joining the list. Even Thurlow missed the start of the year and he was one I had penciled in for r1 (ahead of Mackie).
The North Melbourne game and that Melbourne game are the ones we could have won if we had the depth devoid of some injuries.

Good luck to you Shane. Stick to the ASADA crap you seem so interested in and stop policing my posts whenever one of your longtime buddies on here is being questioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back