Review AFL Round 2 autopsy - Geelong defeat Hawthorn by 2 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: AFL Round 2 - Geelong defeat Hawthorn by 2 points

I think he has a point. But I'm glad they are still favorites. Maybe Carlton? Collingwood? West Coast?

I can't think of anyone else. :D

We are fourth favourite.
Well we were at 2pm

At 3/4 time they read the odds out.
I said to the wife " they are crazy odds. Yes we'll have trouble winning this but I'll bet my arse that at some stage we'll be inside 10 points"

The odds were $6.00

You know who we really needed in the 3rd quarter today?

Graham "Polly" Farmer?

But he, like the option that you actually went for, is a part of our glorious history and will probably never take to the field in the Blessed Hoops ever again. Both were great for us in their time, but that time has passed.

There comes a point when we should stop regretting about what may have been or what once was, and simply rejoice in what is here and now. And today, for all the faults, was still the manifestation of greatness, the beau ideal of our magnificent band of warriors.

Go Cats!

What an amazing win. Sheer heart got us over the line. Selwood lying on the ground half conscious but still shouting instructions. Bartel in the middle of a pack trying to mark a ball he knew had been touched off the boot. There were times I wished we had Lingy out there but young guys like Guthrie and Hunt stepped up.

Thought Motlop was better than Rioli

Love the descriptions from the past players of the boys

@CameronLing
Another great game between these two teams! Both teams deserved the win but amazing character by the Geelong boys to get over the line!

@tjrharley
Unbelievable resolve from an unbelievable group of players
@RalphyHeraldSun
@tjrharley What did you call them - competitive beasts. Amazing

@tjrharley
@RalphyHeraldSun yep... Cats supporters are in that envious position as sports fans. If their team loses, it is not through lack of effort.

and my favourite

@cam_mooney
Never doubt this playing group… they are the most resilient, competitive group in the afl #justlovethem

We are fourth favourite.
Well we were at 2pm

At 3/4 time they read the odds out.
I said to the wife " they are crazy odds. Yes we'll have trouble winning this but I'll bet my arse that at some stage we'll be inside 10 points"

The odds were $6.00

Did you get on a the sixes VC?

4 Questions. Can anyone help?
1. Captain Courageous gets knocked out and hawks get a free kick? Why?
2. Captain courageous gets knocked out with a shoulder to the head, is that a reportable offence?
3. What did Steve Johnson say to the umpire whilst "stepping out" what seemed to be 3 metres, and then got given a 50 metre penalty.? I'm guessing the player has to be 5 metres away?
4. Paul Chapman made contact to Franklins head, deliberately. Anything to worry about?

This side is amazing. Regardless of whether we win the flag this year or not, this team never says die. It amazes me that players like Bartel, who have now won three grand finals, still push hard, still try their best, still throw everything at the opposition. If the other teams were hoping Geelong would just go away quietly and wilt, they were hugely mistaken. If we have come to fight, and fight we will with every ounce of determination and skill.

You know who we really needed in the 3rd quarter today?

You're going to hate it.

Gazza. We just needed clearances. And no one was getting the job done. He would have.

Ablett schmablett.
I thought the guy we really could have used today was Varcoe.

But the 22 we had did it anyway. :)

Re: WE WON I ****ING LOVE THIS CLUB...GO Cats!!!

I love these wins over the fragile Hawks.. Doesn't get much better.

Just got back from the ground and couldn't be more stoked with such a fine performance.

The fact that Guthrie, Smedts, Motlop were all important contributors just makes it all the more better.

Our forward line is lethal....Tommy Hawkins has arrived and HOW! Seriously, I don't think people realise just how good he actually is right now. Absolutely destroyed anyone in the contest and probably was unlucky not to clunk a few more. Pods felt like a spectator as people were just holding there breath for Hawkins when it went in long!!

West was very good and pulled a great performance against McAuley, his leap at the centre bounces is very impressive. Made a couple of skill errors though.

Just a great performance and to consider we have some serious muscle in Hunt and Scarlo to come back in and sure the backline up. Through in competition for spots with Vardy, Menzel, Varcoe and Wojack and I think we are going to be pushing hard at the pointy end of the season again!

As for Byrnes.....looked a little rusty, but still, manages to find himself in great positions through a strong work rate, will be a strong addition to the overall depth this year.

Now to back up strongly against north!!!

I can only answer this one, the ump paid a throw from Bundy for his over the head handball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you get on a the sixes VC?

ha ha. no. Not in a betting mood.

Got home from golf late in the second 1/4 and just sank a few beers watching barbarians play footy.

3. What did Steve Johnson say to the umpire whilst "stepping out" what seemed to be 3 metres, and then got given a 50 metre penalty.? I'm guessing the player has to be 5 metres away?

And for me it started when SJ argued with the umpire about the distance of the Hawks players when having a shot at goal.

"I've got this sorted Steve. Leave it to me Steve. Steve, steve, this is your 20 seconds"

Result?

Sj puts the ball on the ground to stop the clock.

10 seconds later.... 50 metres.....goal.

THAT is leadership.

*The players never moved. SJ sucked them in. High 5's all around

2. Captain courageous gets knocked out with a shoulder to the head, is that a reportable offence?

It was accidental. The Hawks player was pretty good, looked after Selwood a little bit on the ground after the collision knowing he was in a bad way.

Edit : the Hawks player was Whitecross

Already answered to a tee.

Umpire called it an accident, but he didn't see the far shoulder get lowered into Captain Courageous' noggin. My guess is that the MRC will review it, but there'll be no further action as the shoulder will have sustained more long term damage than CC's teak hard skull.

You got it.

4. Paul Chapman made contact to Franklins head, deliberately. Anything to worry about?

No. He was 10 metres away, and it was entirely due to Buddy's somewhat enhanced self image taking up more space than he's allowed under several United Nations' resolutions. ;)

Theres an old saying.....you can beat a team of champions but you cant beat a champion team...dont know if I can take to many finishes like that ....great stuff

It's been mentioned, but the fact that Smedts, Guthrie and Motlop are all in the side to go along with T. Hunt and Christensen just shows how much we have to give. To win a game like that with most of those players contributing and learning along the way. Not to mention the fact that we're missing Varcoe and Menzel. Our young brigade is looking solid.

I would say chappy is in trouble and whitecross shouldnt be.
But the MRP works in mysterious ways

One thing I like about our current side is that at the moment it's hard to see who we'll drop to fit those players we're missing back into the side.

I'm guessing Brown will probably come out for Stephenson next week, but which one of Hunt, Guthrie and Smedts would you drop at the moment for Josh Hunt to come back in? Similarly, which of Motlop, Stokes and Byrnes would you drop for Varcoe to come back in?

Then we have the likes of Horlin-Smith, Schroder and Walker busting a gut in the VFL to get a game in the seniors. Competition for spots is a good problem to have, and we seem to have it in spades, even if we are probably missing about half a dozen of our best 22 at the moment.

It's been mentioned, but the fact that Smedts, Guthrie and Motlop are all in the side to go along with T. Hunt and Christensen just shows how much we have to give. To win a game like that with most of those players contributing and learning along the way. Not to mention the fact that we're missing Varcoe and Menzel. Our young brigade is looking solid.

I think the most important thing was that although those guys worked hard, Christensen actually stood up and tried to win the game.

I know they'll all trying to win, but some players try to make the team win.

Gotta reiterate that. Coming in I was worried by how inexperienced we were but they all handled it - made some blues but hardly alone in that department. Bundy was our second highest disposal winner, Guthrie was fantastic defensively, Hunt shut down Mitchell in the second, Smedts looked great for a bloke in his second game. Motlop wasted it once or twice, but how many tackles did he spin out of? Hopefully can continue to grow. Also interesting that Brown was used as a backman late. Might be one for Tweet the Coach - was that the plan all along, to play on Gunston?

Just another awesome effort from his hardened group , with great contributions from the younger brigade. Our hardness and appetite for the contest in the last was simply breathtaking. Hawkins and Pods looked fantastic today with West grinding it out solo extremely well.
I relish the thought of Motlop and Varcoe in the same team , exciting times ahead.
I would like to see GHS, Shroder and Hogan pushing up for selection as well which will push Stokes and Byrnes to perform every week.
Selwood - what an inspirational leader !!

Theres an old saying.....you can beat a team of champions but you cant beat a champion team...dont know if I can take to many finishes like that ....great stuff

In many ways we got out of jail today. However our never give in spirit was something to behold and got us over the line. What a ride our club has been giving us in recent years. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back