Preview AFL Round 21 - Geelong v St Kilda, Etihad Stadium, 7:50PM Friday 17 August

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL Premiership Round 21
Geelong v St Kilda
Geelong-logo-2008.gif
--------- V ---------
StKilda-logo-1995.gif
________________________________________________________​
Friday August 17​
Etihad Stadium 7:50 PM (Local Time)​

The unofficial official preview

Another Friday night game for the Cats and this time it’s the Saints, a team that needs to win to stay in the hunt. The Cats will want the points to secure a top 8 spot and ensure a home, well Victorian, final first up.

These two sides have shared the honors in the past with the last 6 meetings going 3 all. In 4 of those games (and 2 of which were finals in 09 & 2010) there was a kick in it when the final bell rang. One stretched out a little more in the final game of 2009 thanks to our much loved and admired VFL assistant coach Maxy Rooke. While both teams are vying for a place in the finals, the Cats are the ones that can really shape September.

images

Hats off to the AFL for being able to diffuse almost all mention of the deliberate out of bounds rule that went from an average of 0.6 frees paid per game up to 9 last Friday night. To think that it was livid amongst the print media and all over the airwaves from Friday night till 4.30 on Monday afternoon. Something of this magnitude would need something so ludicrous, so beyond belief, so F@?!en stupid that would make even the staunchest AFL fan check their brains in at the door. Ladies and gents, I present the MRP findings!!!!

DSL-selwoods-at-war-blog.jpg

So the cats accept the reprimand and Joel is free to lead out his charges yet again although he has some major points sitting over his head for the remainder of the season. The big question is do we, us being fans of the once great game of AFL, want consistency, something we often plead for from the men in white (or fluro). If that’s the case, every hands in the back and push in the back free kick paid should at least be looked at by the MRP……….end rant!!

Changes
Things didn’t go according to plan for the big blokes last round with the Big O suffering an injured hand that will have him missing for at least a week and the key forwards at either end in a race against time to be right for Friday’s match. Roo sent a massive scare through the Saints camp wrenching his knee and ending the game on crutches. From all reports he’s walking pain free but he’d want to at least get up to a light job if he’s hoping to have an impact on Friday night.

232426-nick-riewoldt.jpg

604907-tom-hawkins.jpg

Geelong are sweating on big Tommy Hawkins pulling up OK after knocking himself out in a marking contest last week. Apparently he has pulled up well but if there’s any doubt the match winning big man will be rested.
Of the others Kelly, Corey, West and Josh Hunt are rated good chances to resume while there’s a bit of doubt to be sorted on Chappy. West will be the main one structure wise with Vardy & Simpson the only rucking backups on the Geelong list. Neither played VFL last week and have only managed a handful of matches between them this year. If West doesn’t make the cut, key forward and very part time ruckman Josh Walker will handle the bulk of the ruck duties. For the Saints, little big man Jason Blake is a chance to come back as well as Siposs & Milera, who both snagged 4 in the VFL. Clint Jones and Schneider have also put their hands up for a recall. Selection on Thursday will be interesting. The sides that take the field on Friday no doubt even more so.

Ones to watch (that most others wont tell you to be watching)

Jack Steven – Has really felt a sense of belonging this year as part of the Saints midfield. Has added some much needed pace to the not so quick Hayes, Dal, Jones & co that really relied on Montagna in years gone by. Certainly one that the cats will want to keep under control.

Ahmed Saad – Great posture this young man has. Has a set shot routine that is no doubt mimicked on football fieldsAustralia wide. Saad had shown his worth in the VFL for the last few years and has been able to step straight into the AFL and deliver more of the same. Has taken some of the reliance away from Milne in the small forward role and adds a bit more dash and excitement to a side that had that strangled out of them by former coaches Grant Thomas and Ross Lying, oops Lyon.

Beau Wilkes – The man with the second oldest head in AFL (Josh Fraser takes the crown as the oldest) stepped up to the plate last week bagging 5 majors and clunking a few marks in the process. If Roo struggles to get up the ex-Eagle will be looking to play a major role up forward.

BW499x.jpg
2uy14sh.jpg

West – Went from back up VFL ruck/key forward/key defender to finish with a premiership medal last year backing up Otto. Retirements and injuries have cast Westy as the main man and he has handled it better than expected. Battles manfully and plays his role but would love to see him get a bit more of the ball, especially in the air.

Motlop – Stepped up in the absence of Varcoe this year and has provided some razzle dazzle. Looks to be the fittest of the Motlop clan and combined with the undoubtedly family talent he has really impressed. Dropped off a bit of late but on the slick track of the Dome it might be just the time for him to shine.

Josh Hunt – Came under severe scrutiny earlier in the year when he didn’t commit to the contest against the Pies. Redemption was only a week away with a strong mark running with the flight of the ball. Has had a pretty good season and is really using his left boot as an offensive weapon more than ever. Some of the barrels he has unleashed from kick outs make you wince in pain for the ball that has just been smashed.

mad-maonday-right.jpg

The form line
The Saints did what was needed to be done against the Dees to get the points. When the skipper went down so did the momentum in the match. Still strong performances from Hayes, Steven, Dal & Joey in the guts and rebounding from Fisher & Dempster saw sufficient scoring opportunities for Wilkes, Saad & Milne to kick a winning score. The week before they suffered a controversial, heartbreaking loss to the Pies in a match where they refused to give in, showing plenty of guts and determination. Unfortunately, relying on umpires to make correct decisions in close games, especially those against the Pies, is fraught with danger.

images

An undermanned Geelong side kept their noses in front for most of the game over in the West only to fall short at the final siren. A brave performance but also one that could cost us a home final in the wash up. The week prior the cats made it 9 from 9 against the Hawks thanks to a commanding 6 goal performance from the Tomahawk, including the match winner from outside the paint after the final bell.

The contest
Fast starts have been the norm for the cats over the past month and expect that trend to continue. The Saints will take some beating but an early lead may create some season ending doubt amongst the Saints, especially if they are without their skipper.

The battle of the midfields will be a sight to see. The season that Lenny Hayes has put in defies belief, the man is a gun and his courage, leadership and will to win will be sorely missed when he decides to hang up the boots. Dal & Steven will be doing their best in the guts and the whereabouts and form of Goddard will be an interest in itself. BJ has been playing a little under par in 2012 but really needs to be the rebounding rock at half back if he is to help his Saints over the line.

images

Expect the likes of Selwood, Kelly and Bundy to extract the sherrin from the middle more often than not and if Hawk is feeling no ill effects from last week, he’ll be a tough one to match up on. Too much big firepower up forward for the cats and the back six will look to mark and rebound anything that comes their way.

images
images

A good tune up for the cats finals tilt should see us home by 5 goals plus. They’ll want to make sure of this one and get that winning feeling back on track before a couple of sell out games in front of the partially completed state of the art grandstand at Skilled Stadium to wrap up the home and away season.

images

IN: West, Brown, Kelly, Corey, Chapman, Smedts, J Hunt
OUT: Orren, Hawkins, Sheringham, Wojo, Motlop, Murdoch, Guthrie

Whatever happens there will be plenty of changes, time to settle the team down. Grunt for the finals.

Hawkins should be given a week off. If so Brown is our best key forward option. Could play back and Taylor switch to key forward line

Would not surprise me to see Johnson miss a week for a rest.

We can rest a few for the Dogs game but must put our best available team out there v Saints - they are no easy beats and will be playing to keep their season alive.

I really hope Hawkins plays but I'm sure the club will make the right decision during the week.

From what I've read Kelly and Smedts will be straight back in. Corey and West are maybes. JHunt and Chapman, no idea.

I don't want to drop the kids but this is a must win game so we must put out the best side we can and the Saints will be tough.

From what I heard of Scott's presser I suspect Smedts may be in doubt and given his young age I think they will be conservative. The rest should be close. Maybe I will assume Josh needs another week and the others come back in.

West for Walker is the easy choice.

Kelly Corey and Chapman take three spots.

For me Sheringham goes out-he is stiff but he and Simpkin can play similar roles and after last night Simpkin deserves a couple of full games before the club has to make a call on him at the end of the year.

Then it's probably Guthrie and Murdoch that make way, although I'd rather not drop either. Wojo as the sub again.

I'd actually be happy to keep one of those two kids and give Motlop a rest (note rest not drop) but I'm not sure if that will happen this week.

Hawkins must play if fit as St Kilda have a good midfield, Riewoldt plus some good small forwards and some great running defenders, but they lack a big key defender. Simpkin's brother has been beaten by bigger bodied forwards before and will struggle with Hawk.

IN: West, Brown, Kelly, Corey, Chapman, Smedts, J Hunt
OUT: Orren, Hawkins, Sheringham, Wojo, Motlop, Murdoch, Guthrie

Whatever happens there will be plenty of changes, time to settle the team down. Grunt for the finals.

Hawkins should be given a week off. If so Brown is our best key forward option. Could play back and Taylor switch to key forward line

Would not surprise me to see Johnson miss a week for a rest.
Good ins, why not walker but orren? and why murdoch?

Must win 2 of the next three, if we beat Saints we can rest some players against the dogs. Oren is doing ok as well, he can stay.

It all depends on the injuries really, pending them we will be seeing our best possible team this week.

Good ins, why not walker but orren? and why murdoch?

Orren has been very good the last two weeks and West is just as good up forward as Walker and better in the ruck. Therefore him coming in for Walker is obvious (though I like Walker and he will be on the senior list next year).

we need to win this to stay in the eight i reckon..

Well we will be 7th or 8th after this weekend so you may be right.

Realistically we need to win 2 of the last three to be sure of making it, and I wouldn't want to be in the position where we have to beat Sydney just to make it, so this is a massive game.

If St Kilda lose they can't make finals so they will be well and truly up for it.

This is now a must win game, even more so if Freo gets up over Adelaide.

Without meaning to sound arrogant, the doggies match the week after is a straight up win, if players need a rest, thats the week to rest them.

This week against the Saints we need as close to our best side as possible. No kids get games for the sake of getting games into kids, this is as serious a game as we've had this year.

Bring the big guns in.

I understand Hawk needs to be monitored and looked after, but this is almost our season, we need him out there.

Hawkins must play if fit as St Kilda have a good midfield, Riewoldt plus some good small forwards and some great running defenders, but they lack a big key defender. Simpkin's brother has been beaten by bigger bodied forwards before and will struggle with Hawk.

Really hope that Hawkins can get up for this game - clearly our most important player at the moment. Saints will be no easy beats - are playing solid footy at the moment. They would love nothing better than to ruin our run into the finals.

If we can get Chappy, Kelly and Corey back in then we should win. I'd be inclined to keep Sheringham in instead of Simpkin - I think his composure under pressure is a lot better. If Smedts doesn't come up then keep Murdoch in - this kid looks like he will become a player - just needs another pre-season or two in the gym.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really hope that Hawkins can get up for this game - clearly our most important player at the moment. Saints will be no easy beats - are playing solid footy at the moment. They would love nothing better than to ruin our run into the finals.

If we can get Chappy, Kelly and Corey back in then we should win. I'd be inclined to keep Sheringham in instead of Simpkin - I think his composure under pressure is a lot better. If Smedts doesn't come up then keep Murdoch in - this kid looks like he will become a player - just needs another pre-season or two in the gym.

We need Hawkins for sure, our most critical player.

St Kilda will be up for this, for many in that group this is their last shot at finals and with all that's gone before between the two clubs, they would love to beat us.

I actually thought Simpkin's composure was good last night-great pressure with 2 fantastic turnover tackles and a great goal. Sheringham's been a little bit quieter the last two weeks-we know he can play but it might be time for him to have a freshen up. Definitely think Simpkin deserves a couple of full games like Jackson and Walker have had, and now's the time. He offers us pace and pressure in the front half too which we need if Smedts isn't there.

Geez I love Murdoch. Needs to develop the confidence to use his pace more (basically like how Poodle always takes off because he feels he has the backing of the coaches to do so) but once he does he will be a player, great selection.

I actually thought Simpkin's composure was good last night-great pressure with 2 fantastic turnover tackles and a great goal. Sheringham's been a little bit quieter the last two weeks-we know he can play but it might be time for him to have a freshen up. Definitely think Simpkin deserves a couple of full games like Jackson and Walker have had, and now's the time. He offers us pace and pressure in the front half too which we need if Smedts isn't there.

Simpkin was better defensively - those 2 tackles you referred to were terrific. It is with the ball in his hand that I worry still. He wasn't Robinson Crusoe last night but he was responsible for 2 turnovers in the 3rd quarter I think within a couple of minutes that were costly. I'd still keep in for Woja though at the moment - his disposal was appalling for most of the night.

Simpkin was better defensively - those 2 tackles you referred to were terrific. It is with the ball in his hand that I worry still. He wasn't Robinson Crusoe last night but he was responsible for 2 turnovers in the 3rd quarter I think within a couple of minutes that were costly. I'd still keep in for Woja though at the moment - his disposal was appalling for most of the night.

Simpkin's a bit like Pods sometimes (much as I love him), when he keeps it simple and actually kicks to the first option he sees he's fine, when he overthinks it and looks short and long he gets pressured into mistakes. Once he worked out the tempo was quicker than vfl he made that mental adjustment I think and no coincidence his kicking was much better in the second half.

Just love the pressure that he brings around the ball carrier, really worthwhile. They actually put him on Kerr at a few stoppages in the second half which I thought was quite interesting. I think he Sheringham and Walker can all be players-we are doing really well with the rookie list this year.

Woj is tricky, his pace is very useful to us if he can find the tempo but I'm not sure whether he's best 22 now, but I think the coaches will give him the next 2 weeks to re-adjust after injury and state his case.

My concern for the Saints game

Murdoch must stay in before Wojo
Simpkin need more games but atm , one would say Stringer shows more capabilities at AFL level. Give Simpkin the rest of the season and that may change.
Is Simpson close to playing? If OS went down now we would be really in trouble.
Fatigue factor; we have had several tough game in a row now and who will be sore this week. The amount of players out now would mean a sore Bartel or Selwood would mean they would play sore. Playing at teh Dockland is not ideal when sore.

Coming back from WA , is this an effect.

Will Hawkins come up?

Tough game coming up now.

My concern for the Saints game

Murdoch must stay in before Wojo
Simpkin need more games but atm , one would say Stringer shows more capabilities at AFL level. Give Simpkin the rest of the season and that may change.
Is Simpson close to playing? If OS went down now we would be really in trouble.
Fatigue factor; we have had several tough game in a row now and who will be sore this week. The amount of players out now would mean a sore Bartel or Selwood would mean they would play sore. Playing at teh Dockland is not ideal when sore.

Coming back from WA , is this an effect.

Will Hawkins come up?

Tough game coming up now.

Don't think so, has missed the last 2 in the vfl with injury and only back tomorrow. After the year he's had probably doesn't have the fitness. We need to play Orren and West the next couple of weeks to allow Westy to get back up to speed without carrying the whole load, then come finals we decide whether we play 1 or 2 ruckmen.

Agree on the rest and hope Hawk comes up, I think he will.

Would be nice to see Chappy and especially Corey back in. I have been a bit off Corey for a while, but his last game was outstanding, up to the half. Wonder
if he will be available. Corey is TBC on AFL.com.

Twas a hamstring strain and not a tear. 21 days is usually the timeline so friday will be right on the borderline for him.

Don't think so, has missed the last 2 in the vfl with injury and only back tomorrow. After the year he's had probably doesn't have the fitness. We need to play Orren and West the next couple of weeks to allow Westy to get back up to speed without carrying the whole load, then come finals we decide whether we play 1 or 2 ruckmen.

Agree on the rest and hope Hawk comes up, I think he will.

Pure , not saying to dump Orren but I felt sick last night watching OS in the rooms so early in the game.
I presume you mean OS and Walker.
My concern , is we are on the verge of having no ruckman fit and having no ruckman in a game of footy. Walker may be good down the track but thats a looooong way down the track. Simpson has a bad back , Vardy is probably a better version of West but still not a bloke you want in the centre bounces for 4 quarters.
We are running out of cattle.

Agree with what many are saying here. We can't hold anything back against the Saints. Best available 22 must play, any guys with niggles can get a rest when we play the Dogs, but this game is too important to be resting anyone.

Pure , not saying to dump Orren but I felt sick last night watching OS in the rooms so early in the game.
I presume you mean OS and Walker.
My concern , is we are on the verge of having no ruckman fit and having no ruckman in a game of footy. Walker may be good down the track but thats a looooong way down the track. Simpson has a bad back , Vardy is probably a better version of West but still not a bloke you want in the centre bounces for 4 quarters.
We are running out of cattle.

Yes agree. Will hep to get West back but ruck stock health still a worry.

I don't want to dump Orren, has been good and we need to keep him next 2 weeks so West doesn't have to ruck 100 % TOG in his return. Then we decide in the finals whether we play West solo or both (I hope for the latter).

Hopefully Vardy and Daws have no injury issues next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back