Cupcakes are muffins who believed in miracles
Jun 25, 2013
Medicoland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Replayaholics
What I heard:
A Constant booing noise during the whole game.
Hawkins was good (broke even with Lake I thought). He's definitely not injured.
Lonergan thrashed Gunston
Hawthorn moved players around too much for us. Roughead and Hale good examples. Our rucks offered nothing up forward compared to theirs.

Our coaching panel was among the fizzers.
Nowhere near their man in the second half.
Taylor move too late.
Genius of dawks to pick tall.

Last edited:
Nah its a euphemism for cutting the front lawn.
Yeh? Ah nup! I live in Sydney, we don't have Lornes, we have Brontes + Clovellys, but no lawns/Lornes, so I have NFI what you are talking about. So if we could just stay on topic please :thumbsu: the posters + Mods would appreciate it :rainbow:

Boobies, what can we take away from this game - second half obviously - to win in Finals?

With Kersten's injury, DID it impact on the game? Obvioulsy no, because he only played a short time. Still, Boobies - tell a Budney lassie what our mighty Cats need to do to murder Poos+Wees in the Finals?

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
That presser was as strange as they get.

Pretty much said we put the cue in the rack at half time...

I have never ever heard such things from a senior AFL coach. Scott appeared supremely confident re 1st week of finals.

I guess we'll find out.
He looked far too calm in the coach's box late in the game, too- in a nose-tapping, nudge nudge wink wink kind of way....

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeh? Ah nup! I live in Sydney, we don't have Lornes, we have Brontes + Clovellys, but no lawns/Lornes, so I have NFI what you are talking about. So if we could just stay on topic please :thumbsu: the posters + Mods would appreciate it :rainbow:

Boobies, what can we take away from this game - second half obviously - to win in Finals?

With Kersten's injury, DID it impact on the game? Obvioulsy no, because he only played a short time. Still, Boobies - tell a Budney lassie what our mighty Cats need to do to murder Poos+Wees in the Finals?
bringing sharp objects to our next meeting oughtta do it, Kitty; brains included!

SleazySimon

Club Legend
May 23, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Not a fan of Chris Scott's press conference. Clearly looking forward to week 1 final v Hawthorn. Um, still need to beat Brissy to guarantee that (if Freo win their last two)
Now nervous as hell that we'll lose that...!
Everything seems just a bit too comfortable at the moment.
Scott has his contract extension. I have no idea why coaches get these. It's not as if another club is going to try and poach him or anything.
10 straight goals in the 2nd half for Hawthorn and not a single coaching move. Again thrashed in clearances and no moves made whatsoever.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
I honestly don't know. Seemed like we put the cue in the rack after half time. I think Scott wanted to try a few thing - saw that they worked and then said * it.

Jun 2, 2006
Point Cook
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Supersonics, Greenbay
Says the poster who came out after the Sydney game to said the list is hopeless, coach is hopeless - going nowhere etc. I can find it for you if you like.

Sorry bud, I've never that. Maybe, that cs had no options, or didn't try them. Never said going nowhere.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
Scott has his contract extension. I have no idea why coaches get these. It's not as if another club is going to try and poach him or anything.
10 straight goals in the 2nd half for Hawthorn and not a single coaching move. Again thrashed in clearances and no moves made whatsoever.
Got no problem with it. Big dance happens in two weeks. Scott would be on the shopping list of a lot of clubs.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars

There's no denying our guys were like a different team after half time. I ended up feeling the whole thing was tactical, rather than a fade out. Scott always looked cool as a cucumber in the box too during that time. Not like a coach frustrated at poor play. It's dangerous flirting with form, and I guess we won't know for sure until the QF if tonight's game was tactical or not. Weird night overall, but it's a dead rubber really.

Jun 2, 2006
Point Cook
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Supersonics, Greenbay
I honestly don't know. Seemed like we put the cue in the rack after half time. I think Scott wanted to try a few thing - saw that they worked and then said **** it.

No cat player, would want to lose. Neither the coach. Beaten by a better team, that simple.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep i agree. So many went missing, or when they got it the disposal was ineffective. Even McIntosh, looked like gold, but just was woeful in the end.

Duncan had 26 in the first half, 9 or so the rest of the game. We laid it up.....don't think we can play the queue in the rack story
I agree the disposal efficiency did drop off as the game wore on- but we still had a lot of good players whose disposal was well above the AFL average.

Yes…how interesting.

Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
That presser was as strange as they get.

I have never ever heard such things from a senior AFL coach. Scott appeared supremely confident re 1st week of finals.

I guess we'll find out.

He's an arrogant idiot, and you can see the players following his lead. Real contenders don't flirt with their form and pick and choose when to win. Regardless of whether it was in some way intentional or not, conceding ten straight goals like that in a half is a disgrace.

The game actually reminded me of the late season game we played against Collingwood in 2010. Late in that game, it looked like the Pies had found a way to crack us and ended up winning comfortably. In the prelim, they played the same way and completely dominated. I fear that's what will happen against the Hawks if we play them in September.

SpryCorpse

Team Captain
May 17, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Geelong
Pretty sure I saw Taylor in the forward line for a while...

Daniel McL

Brownlow Medallist
May 21, 2014
ACT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
Positives from Match:

- Varcoe really contributed with possessions & pressure, now needs to keep it up!
- Thurlow deserves to stay in.
- Hawkins 3 goals pretty good can't see any injury there & will be freed up a bit more when Walker/Brown come in for Kersten for a full game.
- Youth had great games! (Duncan, Guthrie, Christensen)
- Hartman brings good pressure but not in 22 yet.
- Have time to review this game thoroughly and work on what we have to work on.

Negatives:

- Typical Geelong. 2nd halves are s**t.
- Murdoch needs to find a way to stay in the game when he is having a quiet one.
- Not experienced enough now to slow down another team's momentum against us...
- Worrying that our younger guys even had good games and we still lost...There is a good chance we are just not good enough for the Hawks & Swans (no matter what we try)
- Walker/Brown/McCarthy whoever comes in for Kersten will have only 1 match practice before finals... (With Kersto most likely out for 2+)
- Worried we will come out slow against Lions, lose, and finish 4th heading to Sydney in QF...

Cheshire Cat

Cancelled
May 31, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal, Red Sox, Celtics
Sorry bud, I've never that. Maybe, that cs had no options, or didn't try them. Never said going nowhere.

You said large proportions of the list were going nowhere and werent going to make it. Big changes needed to be made. And yet here we are R22 sitting third. I also remember you whingeing about posters attacking others for having differing opinions - which you have now done yourself.

Play it Sam

Cupcakes are muffins who believed in miracles
Jun 25, 2013
Medicoland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Replayaholics
I don't blame you! Throttle up the ride-on and put your feet up- woohoo!!!

I have enough energy to go and clean my ceiling fans while they're going full bore, right now, I think :( Might have to cut the coffees for the rest of the night.... :(

You should get Hamish to help you with that.

Back