Review AFL Round 22 autopsy - Hawthorn defeats Geelong by 23 points

Remove this Banner Ad

only means we can't afford to rest next week and have to play 3 or so hard fought quarters which opens the door to injury or possibly suspension.
We struggle with Brisbane occasionally, their run is impressive but they don't have much forward.
I reckon brissy will trouble us.I agree with there run and Sef martin in the ruck is something else around the ground.

note your avvy reminds me of that roughy looking feller having a bath in dity water in that ad.

Precisely my sentiment.. Squishy...
It was good loss to have... for the reasons you stated
The Cats showed enough early...
They weren't exactly going flat out in the 2nd half
They won't take the foot off the gas in September
I still believe they can get the job done in the finals
Geez Hecker!!! :hearts:
Firstly, I invite you to call me Kitty, as I prefer my friends to do so :)

Not often we have a 'good' loss, but the Finals are also about 'head games', yes? So, after our 11-zip record, it's in our favour to let them win in the H&A series. So IF tables are to be turned, let them win this H&A game, so that *fingers crossed* we might win 'when it counts'!

Go Cats!

I honestly don't know. Seemed like we put the cue in the rack after half time. I think Scott wanted to try a few thing - saw that they worked and then said **** it.
And Hawks got their act together. Their 2Q was woeful.

If we'd won today Hawks supporters would be saying same thing

Only Thurlow & Kersten (2 touches) at 100% efficiency. Shows how good Thurlow's foot skills are! Give it to him more to help set up plays on Wing!
AFL site says team DE was 77% or so but our numbers look WAY bigger than that. Loads of players in 70s and high 80s...
Sigh... do I really want to argue with the computer??? No.....

Changes I could see for next week:

Out
- Kersten
- Hartman

In
- Walker
- Stevie J

Who goes out for GHS though?! Please not Thurlow :(
I'd be surprised if SJ plays next week

You said large proportions of the list were going nowhere and werent going to make it. Big changes needed to be made. And yet here we are R22 sitting third. I also remember you whingeing about posters attacking others for having differing opinions - which you have now done yourself.

Maybe, those same players are the same ones who were down tonight?

Instead of making useless arguments, perhaps look the statements. Some of our team go missing, which is why we lost tonight.

But as usual, Varcoe haters come out. I just rubbed your nose in it as it was a ridiculous statement.

Good first half , second half showed some issues. Discuss away .

** Trolls be warned ..... zero tolerance will be used in any rubbish posts.
Story of the year. We get bashed-up late in games. We just don't run out games as I'm sure every coach in the finals race will know only too well.

The Hawks demonstrated they are a well organised, hungry outfit with the talent to give the flag a real real shake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives from Match:

- Varcoe really contributed with possessions & pressure, now needs to keep it up!
- Thurlow deserves to stay in.
- Hawkins 3 goals pretty good can't see any injury there & will be freed up a bit more when Walker/Brown come in for Kersten for a full game.
- Youth had great games! (Duncan, Guthrie, Christensen)
- Hartman brings good pressure but not in 22 yet.
- Have time to review this game thoroughly and work on what we have to work on.

Negatives:

- Typical Geelong. 2nd halves are s**t.
- Murdoch needs to find a way to stay in the game when he is having a quiet one.
- Not experienced enough now to slow down another team's momentum against us...
- Worrying that our younger guys even had good games and we still lost...There is a good chance we are just not good enough for the Hawks & Swans (no matter what we try)
- Walker/Brown/McCarthy whoever comes in for Kersten will have only 1 match practice before finals... (With Kersto most likely out for 2+)
- Worried we will come out slow against Lions, lose, and finish 4th heading to Sydney in QF...
Our worst nightmare?

Bizarre game. Not really sure what to read into it. Was chatting to a Hawk mate of mine on the way home and he was similarly mystified. Funnily enough he was as worried about their first half as I was about our second. Guess it depends on whether you are a glass half full or empty type of guy. Being in my mid 40's I'm conditioned to be the latter.

Nice to see Varcoe though having an influence. He was one of our better performers I thought.

I'm not sure what happened in that second half but the addition of SJ and Horlin-Smith will be handy. Hartman I though was excellent in the first half but barely sighted after that (though he did have stacks of mates).

Was Rivers worst half this year I thought. It was almost like he was lulling his opponent (Ceglar) into a false sense of security. Taylor was uncharacteristically poor in that second half as well. That can't happen again surely.

The worry is the fade out of Duncan, Caddy, Selwood, Everyone in our midfield.. Scott hardly changed a thing too. It wasn't until the game was over that he brought Bartel into the middle which could have helped much earlier.

As I say a weird game. Strangely not too upset. Not sure why though..

He's an arrogant idiot, and you can see the players following his lead. Real contenders don't flirt with their form and pick and choose when to win. Regardless of whether it was in some way intentional or not, conceding ten straight goals like that in a half is a disgrace.

The game actually reminded me of the late season game we played against Collingwood in 2010. Late in that game, it looked like the Pies had found a way to crack us and ended up winning comfortably. In the prelim, they played the same way and completely dominated. I fear that's what will happen against the Hawks if we play them in September.

Wow. Passionate response.

Maybe he's got it covered. Who knows. I'm happy to go along for the ride and see what transpires.

That presser was as strange as they get.

Pretty much said we put the cue in the rack at half time...
I have never ever heard such things from a senior AFL coach. Scott appeared supremely confident re 1st week of finals.
I guess we'll find out.

Not what I got from it. For once he looked and sounded as though he was totally perplexed and had finally been caught with his hand in the cookie jar, particularly at the start. Got no doubt we'll fight it out better in the finals but that was a significant win for Hawthorn and Scott will need to look at a few different matchups.

We lost the 2nd last games in 07, 09, 11, and we recovered reasonably well?.
But the way we capitulated tonight was not what I would expect from a premiership contender.
Really don't know where we are at, but our intensity in September will have to be more consistent, and I'm sure it will be, but maybe just not good enough anyway.
Anyway, next week is now a must win game if we are to play in Victoria.
That is our only worry right now. We focus on Brisbane- they have been a difficult prospect for us recently.

And Varcoe.. what can I say? Creative, dangerous, busy, involved. And 80% eff.

For such a high-scoring, ostensibly attacking team, Hawthorn's style of game isn't particularly exciting to watch. Kamikaze, through-the-corridor, plan-on-at-all-costs football is a thousand times more entertaining than build-up play based around piercing, low trajectory kicks and uncontested marks. They're brilliantly skillful, I'm not denying that, but when it comes down to it I'd describe them as ruthlessly efficient rather than aesthetically pleasing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back