Game Day AFL Round 22 - Collingwood vs GWS Matchday Discussion (SS - 4.40pm)

Expectations of the GWS game?

• Gotta win this and win well, we could still mathematically make finals!!

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • Any win would be good

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • A bit of fight would be nice to see

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • Happy just to see some of our kids, our future run around

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Getting through the game with no injuries would be a result!

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Zero expectations

Votes: 13 20.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 AFL PREMIERSHIP SEASON
ROUND 22
COLLINGWOOD vs GWS
SATURDAY 23RD AUGUST
4.40PM
SPOTLESS STADIUM

logo1.jpg

Could it get any worse? That's the question been asked in regards to Collingwood's injury crisis and the answer may well be no. Last weekend the Pies started favourites in a matchup vs the lowly Brisbane Lions, only for everything that could go wrong actually going wrong. From late in the week until the final quarter of the game vs the Lions, Collingwood lost as many as 7 players to injury, including 3 season ending injuries to absolute stars (Beams, Cloke, Reid). Yes the performance wasn't up to scratch against the Lions but for once there were real excuses, with an injury plague so big that it became either something you laughed or cried at, depending on your individual response to such things occurring. That loss, and the loss of those players to injury, basically ended Collingwood's 2014 finals hopes and leaves them with two rather meaningless games to play still.

The first of those games comes on Saturday when the Magpies travel north to face the league's newest team, the Greater Western Sydney Giants, for only the second time on their home ground. The Giants themselves have no hope of playing finals, and like the Pies have been hit hard by injuries recently so this game then becomes about restoring pride and looking to the future rather than what is relevant this season. The Giants have had a much improved season and for the first time in their short history they aren't going to win the wooden spoon, the hypothetical object given out for the team that finishes on the bottom of the ladder. Their win last week over Melbourne at the MCG may well have been their greatest yet, as with several players injured they fought through to record a commanding victory over a hapless Demons outfit. Compare that to Collingwood who are coming off yet another demoralising loss and the Giants will go into this game believing they can notch another win.

COLLINGWOOD PREVIEW

pies12.jpg

The Magpies have had a shocking season in terms of injuries but that is only part of the reason why they won't play finals for the first time in 9 seasons. They've had a woeful second half of the season (2 wins, 7 losses in the last 9 games) and some of the losses, and the ways they've gone about it in those losses have been totally inexcusable. The loss to the Lions last week was a perfect example of this, as although the Pies got several injuries on the night they still weren't competitive for large periods of the game, and their customary fight and intensity just wasn't present at all. Of course the injuries don't help but GWS managed to destroy a weak Melbourne side with several injuries of their own, so that's not an excuse for such a capitulation by the Pies. There are positives though, with plenty of youngsters getting games they may well have not had without the injury crisis occurring. Possible stars of the future like Kennedy, Adams, Witts, Grundy, Broomhead, Martin, Frost, Langdon and Keeffe have all had more games then they probably would have under different circumstances, which bodes well for the future. And that's why the Pies have to think about now, their future and we may well see another debutante or two this weekend for the Magpies.

In regards to selection there were always going to be plenty of changes and Thursday’s team announcement didn't disappoint with 6 changes, 5 of them through injury of course. Into the side came White, Pendlebury, Ramsay, Langdon, Dwyer and Thomas, although the inclusion of Thomas raised a few eyebrows. His form in the VFL hasn't been good and when Ben Kennedy is basically the player making way for him it doesn't make a lot of sense. Even with the loss of 5 player due to injury the Pies will still feel that they should be winning this game.

OPPOSITION ANALYSIS

gws1.jpg

It's been a good year for the GWS Giants so far, especially considering the very low base they were coming off. In their first two seasons of senior AFL football they only managed three wins, yet this season they've already notched up five and they still have two more games to go. Some of those wins have been statements too especially the wins over Carlton and Sydney, too very good football teams. The win against Melbourne last week was as good as any of them though, especially considering the injuries they had on the day and the way they destroyed the Dees when given the chance. The young Giants are improving and the addition of experienced players like Mumford and Pies premiership player Heath Shaw have added to their list immeasurably. This will be the first time Heath Shaw clashes with his former side and with several leaders missing he may well be captain on the day. The Giants go into this game with about as much injury decimation as the Pies, so the side they will field won't be their best.

The Giants backline has held up ok this year considering their defensive leader, Phil Davis, has only managed half of the games so far this season, and is likely to be missing again this week. In fact ex Pie Heath Shaw is almost certain to be the only experienced player in the defense this week. That may not be as a big a problem as it seems though, with the Pies themselves having several forwards missing this week, namely Cloke, Reid and maybe Elliott. The young Giants backline may very well be able to hold it's own against what will be a makeshift Collingwood forward line. One interesting aspect is James Stewart, who actually qualified to be a Pies father/son choice but Collingwood's recruiters decided to pass on him, so he will be wanting to prove them wrong on Saturday.

The GWS midfield has improved this season with the addition of Shane Mumford as the primary ruck. Mumford bought leadership, experience, talent and strength to a central grouping that was lacking in all areas. The problem now is it is one area of the ground where the Giants have been hit hard by injury. Missing this week will be Whitfield, Scully, Ward and Coniglio, arguably their best four midfielders. Once again though they face off against a Collingwood midfield that has been hit hard by injury too. No Beams or Adams and the inability of Swan and Ball to play significant midfield time really will hurt the Magpies in the middle this weekend. If Mumford can give his young midfielders first use of the ball they may be able to get on top of the young Pies in this crucial area.

If they are all fit, which of course they aren't this week, the Giants forward line is scary for even the best defenses, let alone one with several players missing like the Pies backline. But with two absolute young guns, Patton and Cameron now missing for the rest of the year the GWS forward line isn't as intimidating as it was, although it still might pose a problem for the Pies. The two key forwards this weekend are likely to be Giles and last year's number one pick, Tom Boyd. Boyd is a monster of a kid and moves better than anyone his size in the game really, so this might be his breakout senior game. Collingwood of course will be without Brown, Maxwell, Toovey and maybe Lumumba down back which once again just about evens the score on the injury front.

The Giants have been decimated by injuries but they will look at the Pies side that will be selected and smile just a little, knowing their opposition is gettable this weekend. GWS will have gained a tonne of confidence out of their win at the MCG last week and will be wanting to continue that form into this game. They will still field some of the best young talent in the AFL and with several experienced players still around to provide leadership it's not beyond possibility that the Giants may win two games in a row for the firs time in their history.

TEAMS

Collingwood
B:
Jackson Ramsay, Jack Frost, Ben Sinclair
HB: Tom Langdon, Lachlan Keeffe, Tony Armstrong
C: Steele Sidebottom, Dane Swan, Sam Dwyer
HF: Josh Thomas, Tyson Goldsack, Tim Broomhead
F: Alex Fasolo, Jesse White, Brodie Grundy
Foll: Jarrod Witts, Brent Macaffer, Scott Pendlebury
Int: Jarryd Blair, Luke Ball, Clinton Young, Marley Williams
Emg: Ben Kennedy, Patrick Karnezis, Corey Gault

IN: Sam Dwyer, Tom Langdon, Scott Pendlebury, Jackson Ramsay, Josh Thomas, Jesse White
OUT: Dayne Beams (knee), Travis Cloke (ankle), Heritier Lumumba (leg), Ben Reid (hamstring), Alan Toovey (groin), Ben Kennedy (omitted)
NEW: Jackson Ramsay (19, East Perth)

Greater Western Sydney
B:
Adam Kennedy, Phil Davis, James Stewart
HB: Lachie Plowman, Heath Shaw, Matt Buntine
C: Toby Greene, Adam Treloar, Rhys Palmer
HF: Dylan Shiel, Tom Boyd, Josh Kelly
F: Will Hoskin-Elliott, Adam Tomlinson, Devon Smith
Foll: Shane Mumford, Tomas Bugg, Mark Whiley
Int: Josh Hunt, Tim Golds, Jono O'Rourke, Nathan Wilson
Emg: Curtly Hampton, Zac Williams, Sam Frost

IN: Tim Golds, Josh Hunt
OUT: Jonathon Patton (knee), Callan Ward (calf)

TIP

How do your provide a definitive tip to a game where as many as 30 first choice players may be missing from both sides? It's almost beyond a joke for both clubs now and it's fitting that off the back of their worst games injury wise these two face off. GWS have the home field advantage and there's little doubt this is where they play their best football so that gives them a chance for sure.

The inclusion of Pies captain and champion Scott Pendlebury may well be the difference here though, he is just that good.

I expect Collingwood to respond well after a poor performance last week and sneak home in a close game.

MAGPIES BY 9 POINTS.

Really have no idea where our goals are going to come from this game. Might have to rely on Elliot kicking 6 if we're to have any chance of winning.
On the bright side, we get to see a lot of our youngsters playing together in a rare glimpse of what our future team may look like.
Going to be interesting to see how we front up without cloke. A lot of people don't understand how important it is for a side to be able to look up and see a strong, contesting forward option. We may see a lot of blind kicks forward or it may force a few of our players to look harder for alternatives.
I'm feeling a touch apprehensive about this game, but in the spirit of optimism I'm going to tip us to win by 5 points.

Really have no idea where our goals are going to come from this game. Might have to rely on Elliot kicking 6 if we're to have any chance of winning.
On the bright side, we get to see a lot of our youngsters playing together in a rare glimpse of what our future team may look like.
Going to be interesting to see how we front up without cloke. A lot of people don't understand how important it is for a side to be able to look up and see a strong, contesting forward option. We may see a lot of blind kicks forward or it may force a few of our players to look harder for alternatives.
I'm feeling a touch apprehensive about this game, but in the spirit of optimism I'm going to tip us to win by 5 points.
You may have to re-assess your 5 point margin if it is reliant on Elliot to kick 6 - he isn't playing.

Go Ramma :thumbsu:

Probably the least excited I've ever been for an interstate trip...the price of $0 being spent on my match ticket is symbolic of this.

At least the Bunnies v Cowboys game is literally over the road starting at 7.30. Will go to Kogarah Oval on Sunday too.

#weekendofhogg

Can we just forfeit this game please.

I don't want anymore injuries.

They will get injured in bed then. There will always be another way they will cop injuries.

Not a game I am looking forward to at all because I think we are close to no chance of winning this game. This team beat Carlton and Sydney this year and were impressive last week while we have our best 5 of our best 6 out. Take 5 of the best players in any team and they will struggle to beat anyone. I really can't see how we are going to win this game tomorrow.

GWS by 30 Points

Im off to the game today, its a miserable looking day in Sydney.I paid for 8 tickets for my family and I about a month ago, now I'm spewing because at work they were giving them out yesterday. They had a bunch of 100 ticket to give away so don't expect a big crowd

Go Pies

Yea the pies may sneak in for a win. I mean, GWS also have an insane amount of key players out like Cameron, Patton and Scully.

Pies by 5 points ;)

Am looking forward to this game as it will give us a chance to see the youth. I am worried about losing this one as the Giants are like the Suns last year. When they are on they can really look good, they just cant sustain it for more than 2 quarters atm.

I am interested to see how the forward line functions without Cloke, might force players to actually look where they are kicking instead of bombing it long to Cloke. Perhaps our forwards might even give the midfield some LEADS...

I refuse to get frustrated with this game, will just watch and look to see how Bucks tries to cope with all the outs and watch the youth get some much needed experience. I am happy we have gone the youth route and hope it stays in for the rest of the year.

They will get injured in bed then. There will always be another way they will cop injuries.

Not a game I am looking forward to at all because I think we are close to no chance of winning this game. This team beat Carlton and Sydney this year and were impressive last week while we have our best 5 of our best 6 out. Take 5 of the best players in any team and they will struggle to beat anyone. I really can't see how we are going to win this game tomorrow.

GWS by 30 Points
Giants have 9 of their best 22 out. Hampton, Cognilio, Whitfield, Ward, Scully, Patton, Cameron, Haynes, Mohr.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yea the pies may sneak in for a win. I mean, GWS also have an insane amount of key players out like Cameron, Patton and Scully.

Pies by 5 points ;)

I would love to have a win so we can have 1 more win before seasons end.

Given the state of GWS's injury list I will say the pies in a close one. With Pendles, Ball and Swan in the middle should control things and what's left of the senior core of Collingwood is better then GWS. Will say pies by 7 points.

Trackwork on the western suburbs lines today... Give a bit extra as there are bus replacements if staying in Parra or adjoining suburbs...like I am.

Seriously, every time I come up here, wherever I choose to stay, it has trackworks. This toilet of a city will never be finished.

Giants have 9 of their best 22 out. Hampton, Cognilio, Whitfield, Ward, Scully, Patton, Cameron, Haynes, Mohr.

Oh, I have not really worried about looking at their team this week but that is a lot of players out and they are their better players.

I believe the difference will be who has the will to win we havn't had it for a while now, if GWS come out tackle, apply pressure and do what they did last week they will probably beat even with those players out.

There would be players at Collingwood who will be playing for their careers over the next two weeks so I would be fairly devastated if we rock up and play with no passion again.

Did the emergencies play last night? If so, who was the 'extra' we took with there?
All 3 played last night but Kennedy was supposed to fly up this morning as the carry over player.

Will find out soon if there's any late change.

Weather update - absolutely teeming down at the moment about 10min from the ground.

Expect a low scoring scrappy affair.

Back