Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL Premiership Round 22
Hawthorn v Geelong

Hawthorn-logo-2007.gif
--------- V ---------
Geelong-logo-2008.gif

________________________________________________________​

Saturday 23 AugustMCG 7:40 PM (Local Time)
Melbourne Forecast Melbourne Radar

Last edited by a moderator:
Huge game,decides if we get a top 2 spot or not.

Despite our recent form i am excited,given the history of these games its likely to go down to the last 5 minutes, and the players really get up to plsy hawthorn.

Prematch discussion here

I'll be there, these are some of the best games to watch. Despite last night I'm quite confident of victory.

Out: Varcoe, Bews, Smedts
In: SJ, Bartel, Murdoch

Yep - agree ins / outs, but got a sneaking suspicion SJ won't get up again, and if so, Bews to stay in.

EDIT: on further consideration, reckon Kersten might be another out too. Brown or Walker in. Toss a coin

Last edited:
Huge game,decides if we get a top 2 spot or not.

Despite our recent form i am excited,given the history of these games its likely to go down to the last 5 minutes, and the players really get up to plsy hawthorn.

Prematch discussion here

I'm nervous as hell.

Really, really want to beat the Hawks , just because, and I know the boys get up for them, but our form is so unconvincing - whereas the Hawks are playing pretty damn good - that I fear we mightn't be able to bridge the gap.

Their pace is a worry too, and Carlton made us look slow last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel a bit strange about this game. Almost indifferent as to the outcome. If we win, we'll clearly be up and about and that will be a great thing. But if we don't I think it will take a bit of pressure off, cause us to refocus and work harder on some things and may help ensure we get a 'home' qualifying final.

To stomp on my already broken record though, I hope they mix it up in the forward line. We are running out of time to fix a problem that will hold us back from being a premiership chance.

In : Simpson Murdoch Bartel
Out : Kersten Varcoe Smedts

Sub : Murdoch

Bews to play on Bruest
Simpson 65 % ruck
McIntosh 65 % forward to stretch hawks defence who love playing against mediums and hate playing on monsters
Guthrie to Mitchell

I like Simpson, and at the start of this season I would have had him as our number one ruckman, but right now, no way. The club seems to have sensibly shelved the two big ruckmen + Blicavs idea (good), and the rucks seem to be functioning pretty well with McIntosh and Blicavs. Can't see Simpson playing again this year to be honest.

The other nice thing is playing McIntosh and Blicavs as ruckmen allows a much better forward setup: Hawkins + someone else.

I feel a bit strange about this game. Almost indifferent as to the outcome. If we win, we'll clearly be up and about and that will be a great thing. But if we don't I think it will take a bit of pressure off, cause us to refocus and work harder on some things and may help ensure we get a 'home' qualifying final.

To stomp on my already broken record though, I hope they mix it up in the forward line. We are running out of time to fix a problem that will hold us back from being a premiership chance.

I'm edgy on this game already. Hate losing to the Hawks.

Agree with you on the forward line. Watching Blitz float forward last night suggests we might have another option there, and Bartel / Murdoch back in this week will help out there too.

But we really need to do something different at CHF. Our only options are Brown and Walker, who seem to divide opinion pretty evenly. Toss a coin.

I like Simpson, and at the start of this season I would have had him as our number one ruckman, but right now, no way. The club seems to have sensibly shelved the two big ruckmen + Blicavs idea (good), and the rucks seem to be functioning pretty well with McIntosh and Blicavs. Can't see Simpson playing again this year to be honest.

The other nice thing is playing McIntosh and Blicavs as ruckmen allows a much better forward setup: Hawkins + someone else.

Got to agree Partridge.

I can't see Simpson coming back in this year either. He and HMac slows us down too much. Blitz gives us a lot more ground coverage and is also beginning to give us an option forward.

Simpson will play rnd 23

I don't think the problem will be fixed this year. There aren't enough games left now to really find out who the best option is going to be.

I don't think the problem will be fixed this year. There aren't enough games left now to really find out who the best option is going to be.
You're probably right. But at worst we could return to this setup for the first final. At best we might find something that clicks.

It's just a damn shame they let it fester this long.

Geez we could wait until Monday for the thread couldn't we?
Should definitely wait until after their game tonight.

Lots more context after that game.
I bet their preview thread will have more pages and tears :cry:
Let the obsession live

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back