Review AFL Round 4, North Melbourne defeats Geelong by 16 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I posted some thoughts on Harry last year and got screamed down for it. I'd thought his drop off had coincided with his signing a long term contract.

I didn't suggest that he may have done anything consciously, but subconsciously, with a young family, he's just secured his employment on good coin for the next 4 or 5 years.

He may just be feeling a little bit too comfortable now. Cloke really dropped off following signing of his long term contract at the Pies.
I think Harry is an honest chap. Can't see him resting on his laurels, so would disagree with that line of thought, HHH. Who knows, though, what goes on between the ears of these boys? with respect to Cloke, I've always thought he was overrated. Can do a few things but I thought his reputation was most just hype and he is inconsistent.
Having said that, though- and Hawkins-lovers beware... I was comparing their stats the other day when I heard Carey say some nasty things about Cloke and that he had only once kicked 7 goals and realised that Clokes' numbers really aren't that much different to Hawkins' :(

Was a contest in the third quarter when he squibbed out of putting his body on the line. No other word for it. I bet he wouldn't have done that back in 2008-2013. Not sure what's wrong with harry but his mind just doesn't look like it's on the job.

New father again only a short time ago, although probably can't be used as an excuse. The structure that he played with for years is now much different, and the volume of ball coming his way is higher too. Maybe like how Rivers looked like he struggled at the Dees. Our midfield engine is nothing like it was a few years ago.

We may not have won the 2011 premiership.

These "just imagine if" posts are moronic.
They are completely worthless and can demonstrate absolutely nothing.
They can only serve as a means of scoring cheap points to those who post them.
Totally agree best left to internet forums.:)

Hope you guys don't mind me having my say…

First up, have to say thanks to all the geelong posters who came over to our board for a bit of pre-game banter, you guys are always classy compared to a lot of others.

I wouldn't be throwing the baby out with the bathwater at this stage, in regards to your on field performance. We had a lot more experience out there compared to you guys and I think it would have been a different game had Stokes and Bartel been there. We got the sway of the green too today, we've had a few bad experiences with the umps in the past few games, but pretty much all 50/50's went our way and I can understand your frustrations in that regard!

Kudos, to Tommy Hawkins. Would have been as hard as all hell to go out there and play considering what he has been through. It wasn't his best game, but his tribute to his mum was incredibly touching. Showed a lot of courage.

Think Gregson is going to be a gem, a lot to like about the young man.

Bews is a jet. Flogged Thomas and provided some good dash.

Your forward line I think is still one of the most powerful in the comp, guys like Murdoch, Horlin-Smith and Caddy just have to lower their eyes a bit more when going forward.

Have to ask what the hell was Johnson sub for? I thought he could of been the difference.

Head up, with your a-graders and the leadership of Selwood you'll still give finals a big shake up.

At one stage the way Harry was moving reminded me of how Scarlet moved towards the end of his time. He may have jarred his back??
He always looks like he's got a burning hot rod stuck up his ummm... you know where... and he seems to always struggle with bending and turning.
We seem to have a few boys looking like they could do with a spine replacement.

Missed the 1st quarter doing homework, might have to do that for whole games maybe! But then I don't get to watch :(

Forward entries were just idiotic. Didn't have it on TV so I'm not sure whether North forced poor choices or the midfield were just collectively stupid but we need a ban on bombing the ball in. STOP IT. Naturally the only times we scored were when someone actually thought it through, activated the brain and decided to smartly kick to advantage. So frustrating.

SJ much better this week, can he do it for more than half a game though?

Umpires were horrible. Just so frustrating.

If we don't offload two talls at the end of the year, our list will be even more top heavy than it is, Bobby. Do you reckon HMac and Big Daws are both shot?

I'll butt in and say I think they are.

HMac will retire I reckon, and Daws simply doesn't have what it takes. He looked good a year or so ago, but I think the back surgeries have brought on his premature demise.

He always looks like he's got a burning hot rod stuck up his ummm... you know where... and he seems to always struggle with bending and turning.
We seem to have a few boys looking like they could do with a spine replacement.

No point looking at Daws. They've already taken most of his.

I'll butt in and say I think they are.

HMac will retire I reckon, and Daws simply doesn't have what it takes. He looked good a year or so ago, but I think the back surgeries have brought on his premature demise.
Sadly, I think it might be a combination of that and the evolution of the game. i.e. the phasing out of the game's dinosaurs. Players like 211 can get away with playing because Freo have the players around to paper over his shortcomings (almost said 'his crack' :eek:) but we just don't have enough foot soldiers to make up for what Simpson lacks. We can't afford to carry a half-player around the ground. He has played much better in the clearances recently but, if he was going OK, he'd have been played over the past 2 weeks, so you'd have to think he was feeling pretty ordinary. If we are picking and choosing who to play him against- didn't work against the Hawks, didn't work against Freo- then we can't afford to keep him on the list. Same goes for Hamish. If he's going to spend the next 5 months on the 'getting AFL-fit' list in the VFL then, sadly, there just can't be a space kept for him on our list any longer.

Don't get me wrong- I'd love nothing better than to see these two players chop it up in the VFL, get into the AFL team and blitz the opposition rucks but I have just started to remove my blinkers and am feeling very very worried about their future at the club.

Sadly, I think it might be a combination of that and the evolution of the game. i.e. the phasing out of the game's dinosaurs. Players like 211 can get away with playing because Freo have the players around to paper over his shortcomings (almost said 'his crack' :eek:) but we just don't have enough foot soldiers to make up for what Simpson lacks. We can't afford to carry a half-player around the ground. He has played much better in the clearances recently but, if he was going OK, he'd have been played over the past 2 weeks, so you'd have to think he was feeling pretty ordinary. If we are picking and choosing who to play him against- didn't work against the Hawks, didn't work against Freo- then we can't afford to keep him on the list. Same goes for Hamish. If he's going to spend the next 5 months on the 'getting AFL-fit' list in the VFL then, sadly, there just can't be a space kept for him on our list any longer.

Don't get me wrong- I'd love nothing better than to see these two players chop it up in the VFL, get into the AFL team and blitz the opposition rucks but I have just started to remove my blinkers and am feeling very very worried about their future at the club.

I don't wish ill on anyone, but I think the papers have all but been stamped for HMac and Daws.

Injuries and surgeries have taken their toll, and Scott's comments on Daws a couple of weeks ago were very telling I thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lock it in Eddie!

Same goes for Dawson for mine. He's also cooked.
It's looking that way. The only way I can see it being different is if, when Stanley inevitably needs a rest, Simpson comes in and plays a blinder against good opposition that gives them a reason to keep picking him. The only hope for Dawson to continue his career is to be absolutely flying by the end of the season. It's a very slim hope I'd have to say.

yeh' you and I seem to be the only ones in here who think similarly on that one.

He's also played 60 games. Compare it to Simpson's 26 games, and you can see why some of us are eager to get more games into the other one before they show him the door.
Why compare the amount of games they played ?
Stanley didn't play all 58 of his StKilda games as a ruckman.He was used on the odd occasion at StKilda in ruck.
Simpsons entire career has been as a ruckman......well also as a benchman.

Why compare the amount of games they played ?
Stanley didn't play all 58 of his StKilda games as a ruckman.He was used on the odd occasion at StKilda in ruck.
Simpsons entire career has been as a ruckman......well also as a benchman.
I pretty sure for most of the time he's counted in the ground attendance figures.[/QUOTE]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back