Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL Premiership Round 5
Geelong v Hawthorn

Geelong-logo-2008.gif
--------- V ---------
Hawthorn-logo-2007.gif

________________________________________________________​

Monday April 21 MCG 3:20 PM (Local Time)
Melbourne Forecast Melbourne Radar

Been waiting 6 months for this!

Finally have fit ruck stocks and the back-line looks as solid as it has been in a few years. Taylor Hunt looks to have found his niche alongside Enright and Kelly while Blicavs (and Brown) have been a lot more effective when floating back to help out our KPD's.
Murdoch was a little quiet yesterday but his pressure is supreme and that's what we will need plenty of, tackles, tackles and more tackling.

Will be a good game for the development of the kids, as the Pies game was.
This will be more of an outside / run,run, run contest than the Pies game though.

Can anyone tell me if Lewis tagged Gazza last night?
I didn't watch any of it.

I reckon he will tag Selwood.

We've lost a few great players since we last met- Motlop and Christensen in particular- but the young lads who have stepped up in their place (Guthrie, GHS, Murdoch, etc) have filled the void very well. If all of our boys are switched "on" on Monday, I can't see that we have too many cracks that the Hawks can exploit and play through.
I would like us to give them a drubbing- can't stand those 1-kick wins because they're no good for my heart- but I think we should keep this game low-key and save the smashing for the GF.

no it was young Langford who seemed to be playing on Ablett most of the game but he was worked over by a few. The Suns have the potential to be a great midfield but they are not anywhere near Geelong's level so if they wanna tag Selwood, good, that allows Stokes or Johnson to get off the leash while Duncan is in career best form so this will be Hawthorn best test for quite a while.

We've lost a few great players since we last met- Motlop and Christensen in particular- but the young lads who have stepped up in their place (Guthrie, GHS, Murdoch, etc) have filled the void very well. If all of our boys are switched "on" on Monday, I can't see that we have too many cracks that the Hawks can exploit and play through.
I would like us to give them a drubbing- can't stand those 1-kick wins because they're no good for my heart- but I think we should keep this game low-key and save the smashing for the GF.
Getting excited (& terrified!) for this game already.

Really looking forward to us having 2 ruckmen (get so happy every time I think of this :)), and a fit Hawkins playing. All players/positions are going to have to be so switched on (& ready for a lot of physicality) if we're to have a chance, and I'm sure they will be. Heard Stokes interviewed after the game last night and he said that they were talking about next week as soon as they left the ground-they love the "big" games :thumbsu:.

Hoping the extra time helps Mackie's recovery-vital player in this game.

Both sides have a different look about them to the Prelim and the streak era. Hoping we can get on top at the stoppages with Simpson, Selwood, Johnson and the young trio, Caddy, Horlin-Smith and Guthrie.

Difficult to predict this game. I will be going with a lot more hope than I did in the prelim because we look healthier and our structure is better. Opposition obviously in imperious form.

Hawks have come out of the blocks firing this season. Really look impressive. Will certainly take our best effort, but think we can do it. Last nights effort improved my confidence-we just need to pressure, pressure than more pressure them!!!

Hope we get a great crowd-surely we will-should be a fantastic atmosphere.

Will be a good game for the development of the kids, as the Pies game was.
This will be more of an outside / run,run, run contest than the Pies game though.

I didn't watch any of it.

I reckon he will tag Selwood.

Hey vinum, Langford mainly came in off the wing or back of the square to tag Ablett last night. Did a much better job than the stats suggest as Ablett rarely had a damaging disposal for the 35 he had.

I think Langford will get the job on Selwood as he has so far been given Maloney, Watson, Mundy and Ablett. You guys are a little tougher though as I think teams really need to close check both Selwood and SJ. We certainly rarely run 2 hard tags as it messes with out own structures too much. We went to Selwood with Shiels in the PF and Stevie J cut us to pieces. We switched it around late in the second and Selwood cut us up in the second half so what do you do?

This will be the game of the season so far I think. Finally a true blockbuster. With the traditional blockbuster teams all being below par, despite all the pre season hype. Heres looking at you Richmond, Carlton and Collingwood. I have said this for about 5 years that Hawthorn vs Geelong games are the best modern day rivalry and far better quality games than any of the traditional rivalries. These are the current versions of the Essendon vs Collingwood or Richmond vs Carlton games of the 80s

Hey vinum, Langford mainly came in off the wing or back of the square to tag Ablett last night. Did a much better job than the stats suggest as Ablett rarely had a damaging disposal for the 35 he had.

I think Langford will get the job on Selwood as he has so far been given Maloney, Watson, Mundy and Ablett. You guys are a little tougher though as I think teams really need to close check both Selwood and SJ. We certainly rarely run 2 hard tags as it messes with out own structures too much. We went to Selwood with Shiels in the PF and Stevie J cut us to pieces. We switched it around late in the second and Selwood cut us up in the second half so what do you do?
Ask the MRP to help out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In : Sheringham
Out : Mackie

Sub : Sheringham

T Hunt to play on I.Smith
Guthrie to play on Hill

Go head to head with Mitchell with Selwood

I don't think a win against Hawthorn at this stage of the season means anything (other than to the fans), and the club won't be too fussed if the hawks beat us as long as we compete. It'll be good to see where we are at the moment compared to the inform team of the comp, and it'll give CS a good idea of what needs to be done to be a real challenger at the pointy end of the season.

I'll be interested to see if we can shut their midfield down defensively, and how our forwards compete against their rampant half-back line at the moment. I think this is the biggest reason for the hawks improvement this year, their backline players (which have always been seen as their greatest weakness) have become one of the best in the comp (if not the best).

I know our lads will give it a red hot crack that's for sure. But if we lose, I won't be too fussed about it. It's only round 5, and the result (regardless of a win or a loss) will really mean nothing come the start of the finals. If we win, then that will be a good achievement for the club in terms of publicity and membership growth.

Last edited:
Match ups will be interesting. For me:

Taylor - Roughead
Rivers - Gunstan
though these 2 could be reversed if things don't go to plan as Rivers had a great record on Roughy when at Melbourne.

Lonergan - Hale (he will spend the first half wondering where the hell Buddy is!)
Enright - Bruest

Guthrie - Mitchell or Rioli
Hunt - I Smith

Rioli and Smith are their barometers. Contain them and we go a long way to winning this game.

The other thing I'd like to see is some physical intimidation of both Gunstan and Bruest. Both are physically quite fine and need to be assaulted when the opportunity is there. Similar with young Hill. When you tackle them, make it hurt.

They're the main ones. With Lake out I think Hawkins has an opportunity to have a big game here. Although they have functioned well thus far, I'm looking forward to seeing how a backline with Cheney, Duryea and possibly Spanger fair against us. I think there is an opportunity to exploit them here.

I feel with our 2 ruckmen up and about we also have potentially a big advantage. We didn't have this in the PF last year although our rucks that night battled admirably. If Selwood, Johnson, Caddy, Guthrie, Kelly and Duncan can get first use for most of the game we can win this.

Cats by 10 pts.

Its 2008 in reverse. They are the outright fav's and we are threat but one im sure they feel they can handle. Neither will have their best side in , most will pick Hawks. But is its true to form it will display that both side will have a say come Sept and both side will be sore the following week.

Its 2008 in reverse. They are the outright fav's and we are threat but one im sure they feel they can handle. Neither will have their best side in , most will pick Hawks. But is its true to form it will display that both side will have a say come Sept and both side will be sore the following week.

Gee we have as close to our best side as you can expect.
Every club has 2 best 22 missing during a year.

Port Adelaide will be hoping we win this week. We played them 3 times last year, and each time was after we lost. They'll be hoping that doesn't happen again.

I don't think a win against Hawthorn at this stage of the season means anything (other than to the fans), and the club won't be too fussed if the hawks beat us as long as we compete. It'll be good to see where we are at the moment compared to the inform team of the comp, and it'll give CS a good idea of what needs to be done to be a real challenger at the pointy end of the season.

I'll be interested to see if we can shut their midfield down defensively, and how our forwards compete against their rampant half-back line at the moment. I think this is the biggest reason for the hawks improvement this year, their backline players (which have always been seen as their greatest weakness) have become one of the best in the comp (if not the best).

I know our lads will give it a red hot crack that's for sure. But if we lose, I won't be too fussed about it. It's only round 5, and the result (regardless of a win or a loss) will really mean nothing come the start of the finals. If we win, then that will be a good achievement for the club in terms of publicity and membership growth.

Mackie will play as his injury was only a corky and we have a 9 day break to get ready
Sometimes we can get more out of a loss than a win- I'm OK with either but don't want to paper up any cracks in the team now if we can have the loss that shows them up and assists in us fixing them up permanently (the cracks, not the Hawks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back