Predict the margin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vardy, Josh Hunt, Blicavs, Kelly.

That was really easy too.
People have short narrow memories.... Duncan made the same mistake twice, but for the rest of the game was reasonable and did a lot more than a fair few

People have short narrow memories.... Duncan made the same mistake twice, but for the rest of the game was reasonable and did a lot more than a fair few

It's our old friend cognitive dissonance too. There are players who some fans simply cannot or will not criticise. It's easier to apply laser-like focus to whoever is the player out of favour, then blame him for everything.

For those at the game that wasn't a massive mistake either. Yep he panicked a little but there was zero movement from the Cats up field, he literally had nothing to kick to.
A long kick to a contest along the boundary would have probably have been higher percentage though.
Still if we had scored from one of those kicks, and won the flag the following week we would be lauding his "daring" and "risk" and his match winning performance.

Mistakes are usually in hindsight.

It's our old friend cognitive dissonance too. There are players who some fans simply cannot or will not criticise. It's easier to apply laser-like focus to whoever is the player out of favour, then blame him for everything.
its possible that the duncan hate could stem from him ''taking'' menzels spot in the gf.

its possible that the duncan hate could stem from him ''taking'' menzels spot in the gf.
No

That's one of the more ridiculous posts I've ever read on this board sorry FTW

For those at the game that wasn't a massive mistake either. Yep he panicked a little but there was zero movement from the Cats up field, he literally had nothing to kick to.
A long kick to a contest along the boundary would have probably have been higher percentage though.
Still if we had scored from one of those kicks, and won the flag the following week we would be lauding his "daring" and "risk" and his match winning performance.

Mistakes are usually in hindsight.
Correct- looks like he just made a junior-league mistake. Why wasn't there a more experienced player in the backline for him to pass off to, as we so often do before we run it out via the boundary? Did he just try to keep the ball moving, as per instructions, so the opposition didn't have time to set up their own defensive structure? How did it happen a second time?

Duncan did very well to take those two good marks in defence- as he's done before in other games against the Hawks. Why are we blaming him for the loss, when it's a game that 22 of our players were involved in? Why don't we blame those kicks for goal that missed during the game? If a couple of them had been converted... Well, it'd be a different story for sure. The pressure would've been off, the players would've been more relaxed and taken better options, etc.

It's silly to blame just one player- or even a small handful of players- for a loss.

Not sure why there would be any 'hate' for Duncan, if indeed it exists. Sure, he made two pretty big errors toward the end of an extremely high pressured match. But then Bartel - Mr Ice Veins himself - also made a similarly horrible error around the same time (from memory). It happens.

I was annoyed at Duncan at the time, but it is pretty easy to forgive such a young player in such an intense situation. You just hope he learns from those mistakes and, judging by his comments in interviews this year and his form to start the year, it seems he has.

Really hoping that 2014 is the year that Duncan steps up to become a truly A grade mid. He has all the tools to do so.

I have a lot of respect for Geelong (and I enjoy the way they play!). I know I bit by responding but I raised some valid points regarding where we have improvement in our team to come throughout the year. You obviously don't agree (and cut the names I raised for where we have improvement when quoting my comment) but it is your board and I'm not here to troll or talk rubbish. However if you have spent time on the HTB you will have noticed there are a lot of us that are genuinely nervous about this game and respect Geelong for the sustained success they have managed to achieve over an extended period of time along with some of us who are cocky due to our outstanding start to the season. I have seen examples of the same on this board but that is your right as it is your board.

I would like to argue though that it is dangerous to get confident if you guys get close but just lose and assume you will get us at the end of the year because you believe we have little scope for improvement.

Thats true although that was the logic used by the Hawks mid way thru 08 ... we would blow others away yet the Hawks knew they were close (17 points form memory I think). It was enough to know (at least convince themselves) that they could win. Far better to be close and look at the lost opportunities , the missed passes or goals than to be blown of the park by 80 points etc. The dumbest tactical thing I've ever seen from smart footy people was that last H&A game in 2011 when Geelong blew the Pies away , sure they stopped and put on ice when we were around 40 up , but the mental edge it gave us was huge.

I notice your respect for our board:thumbsu: , I hope you notice that this board is most open to other contributing fair and reasonable comment. Not something I can say for all boards. Some Cats supports have received Cards over on some other boards for very little in the past.

On the game , I say on League teams last night a graphic that had 8 players for Geelong under 60 games and 9 players for the Hawks shows both clubs have a similar amount of AFL inexperience. Go deep than that and its not quite as clear, Simpkin for instance is no 19 year old Rookie with ten years ahead of him. What are the names that you say will make the difference on Monday?

Just heard on the news a quote from Luke Hodge apparently from the Footy Show last night. Players "hit harder" and he "feels sorer" after a game way more than when he started 13 years ago. An instructive lesson for the couch critics here who claim the game is getting softer.;)

Of course everyone feel like that as you get older , but I think that has a lot to do with the current mauls and tackling. Im starting to come around to the idea that we have to do something a bit radical to rid ourselves of this pack rubbish, 30 off players ina quarter of the ground. Does anyone really doubt this affect attendance? I don't pay $$$ to have all the players and play 150 Metre's away from me. I might as well stay home and watch in on TV

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course everyone feel like that as you get older , but I think that has a lot to do with the current mauls and tackling. Im starting to come around to the idea that we have to do something a bit radical to rid ourselves of this pack rubbish, 30 off players ina quarter of the ground. Does anyone really doubt this affect attendance? I don't pay $$$ to have all the players and play 150 Metre's away from me. I might as well stay home and watch in on TV

I think it's more than Hodge has never been the most enthusiastic or dedicated trainer either.

Not sure why there would be any 'hate' for Duncan, if indeed it exists. Sure, he made two pretty big errors toward the end of an extremely high pressured match. But then Bartel - Mr Ice Veins himself - also made a similarly horrible error around the same time (from memory). It happens.

It did happen. And Bartel did the same thing in the early stages of the Collingwood game that we lost last year by a kick. But Jimmy gets a pass somehow while certain other players get drawn and quartered on this board.

Welcome, catgirl93!!
I just had to laugh at your last comment above- I clearly remember the GF the same year, when I wasn't convinced that we were going to win until the middle of the final Q. I was still yelling at the boys to kick more goals, just in case Port got a run on .....
I felt pretty stupid afterward, though.
:oops:
I have a clear memory of the uneasy silence of the crowd in the canteen at half time. Someone then whispered to a mate, "I reckon we've got this one!", and as one everybody said, "Shut up!"...

i should have said HTB by rioli... duncan was running it out of defence, 25 from goal, and cyril nailed him. very lucky not to be called.
Yeh, I remember thinking that we'd dodged a bullet there. Nine times out of ten that would have been gone, I suspect that if it had happened on the wing it would never have been called play-on.

Brereton’s actions were responsible for a rule change. Now you can’t unreasonably or unnecessarily collide with a player who “....although within 5 metres of the ball, is not in the immediate contest for the football and would not reasonably expect such contact”

They changed the rule due to Brereton, but only after 20 years of deliberation and coincidentally after Nick Maxwell broke McGinnity's jaw?

:confused:

Yeah he has acquitted himself pretty well so far at AFL level. Started his career as a defender, so that probably helps. Certainly not at Guthries level yet though.

I would have thought that he lines up on Selwood given his start to the year. So far this year Clarko has just gone the most important midfielder in the opposition, so that would be Selwood for me.
Selwood doesn't get the shits when he gets a heavy tag he just runs harder and somehow works harder.
Johnson is easily distracted and can fall into the trap of scuffling with taggers.
So Johnson for me.

On a side note of course I hate Geelong but I can't help but be impressed with the way your club goes about its business on and off the field.

On a side note of course I hate Geelong but I can't help but be impressed with the way your club goes about its business on and off the field.

The feeling is mutual as much as it pains me to say it..

Really looking forward to this game. Great chance for Simpson, Guthrie, Horlin-Smith, Caddy, Burbury and Murdoch to show everyone that there is a new cat team coming through.

I am confident that we can get on top in the midfield battle and you don't often lose when that is the case, but I fear they will be more efficient with their entries. I think we lack a bit of cutting edge without Motlop and Christensen.

Mr Ice Veins

Haha!

Sorry guys, read this and couldn't help myself.... :p

Google image:
mr+cool+ice.jpg

Damn, is it Monday yet?? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back