Preview AFL Round 5 - Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG, Monday 21 April 3:20PM

Predict the margin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
is the type to give all the s**t in the world and then report you the moment you gave some back

you can spot his type at the footy from a mile away.
Same goes for that Hodgepodge (see below)

fmln.jpg

Why would someone under 40 not get it?

Even the kids these days still study ww2 surely.
I think the kids get a quick lesson just before ANZAC Day, which is lost to them because they're more excited about the holidays.One of my kids said to me the other day that the only history she was taught for years was aboriginal history. Must be a favourite of the teachers, perhaps. OR maybe they just CBFed drawing up new lesson plans and used the same old, same old.

I remember taking on an undefeated Collingwood in 2011, and eagerly anticipating a match against the read hot premiership favorite, and after handing Nth Melbourne a thumping the week before, in a game similar to last weeks effort. Missed targets, skill errors, but constant pressure that wasn't really that evident in the preceding 6 weeks. That match against Collingwood marked the start of a game plan in which I left the ground that night absolutely certain we'd win that years premiership, so much so that I outlaid a substantial amount of money on Geelong for the flag. (1 and only time I have done so) That 3 point margin wasn't indictive to the way we absolutely monstered the Pies in every aspect of that match. They couldn't get the ball forward of centre for much of that match and it laid the foundations for the rest of the season.

Anyway the moral of this post lies with a similar vein of performance so far this season. Sloppy at times, skill errors and turnovers, but almost a similar game plan of ferocious pressure akin to 2011. I recently inquired as to the identity of our game plan, that was until the last half of the round 3 match against Collingwood 2 weeks ago, where it became evident that we've in someway reverted back to the plan that won us the 2011 premiership. Our tackling pressure is tremendous, we're hunting in packs again, we're playing for each other and our opponents are having great difficulty creating viable avenues to goal.

This match in my opinion shapes as another remake of 2011, where against the belief of the 'sliding' media pack, and against the odds and against the overwhelming premiership favorites, we create another piece of history. This is the match that will shape our season and tell us where we're headed in regards to our fortunes for 2014. It'll be tough, they're a great side, make no mistakes. If we hunt the man as tenaciously as we have been in recent matches, limit their time in possession, and force them to panic, manically hunt the ball carrier, we'll win this match and the confidence in this group will evolve from there. A belief that another 2011 can be achieved.

It's easier said than done against this formidable foe, but in 6 days time we'll truly know where we stand in terms of premiership credentials. We have 2 fit ruckman who are becoming damaging, we have youngsters up forward in Burbury and Murdoch who are hungry, quick and do their utmost to keep the ball in attack. We have a ruthless and damaging midfield duo in Johnson and Selwood, and we now have a viable negator in Guthrie who limits the effectiveness of the oppositions best midfielder. Hawkins in back to his powerful best and our back 6 have worked in tandem to become the best in the caper.

Carried away....dare to believe ladies and Gentlemen.
Magnificent post mate. I've been thinking the exact same thing for a few weeks now. This game will define our season, and the way we're playing right now, our defensive pressure should hold us in great stead.

Last edited:

I'd prefer someone who can take marks and kick goals, or at the very least use the ball well. The other stuff might impress some fans but isn't going to help us win games.
Just trying to read the minds of the "powers that be" in response to a post on the matter.

That said, if you don't reckon Walker can take grab you're seeing a different player to me. Have a gander at his twos GF game and his last outing in the twos. In that respect he is leaves Mitch Brown in his wake.

Unfortunately I have to agree , he is at the stage now of being gone for good...till he isn't. Think not of what he could do in the past or what he may have added , he is now just another stat in the churn of players. In a way the AFL should allow teams an extra player on the list to cover longer termers like him.
They do- they're called "rookies"... ;)

I was probably feeling particularly pessimistic when I typed that. Having had the week to think about it I still think we are going to get burned on the turnover and by giving Hawthorn too much space, but perhaps the difference is more like 4-5 goals. Caddy out is a real blow though. We needed to be on top in terms of midfield grunt and we lose there whoever his replacement is.

BTW, remember Caddy's Prelim sub effort? :(

Not even going to look at that .... until Tues... it makes me want to cry :(

Just trying to read the minds of the "powers that be" in response to a post on the matter.

That said, if you don't reckon Walker can take grab you're seeing a different player to me. Have a gander at his twos GF game and his last outing in the twos. In that respect he is leaves Mitch Brown in his wake.
And his kicking for goal?

true but I been disappointed in him this year so far and I'm one of his biggest fans but he's failed to impact any game after looking set to have breakout season during the NAB challenges. I thought he'd have a similar game to what Duncan did a fortnight ago against Collingwood but he is probably just another year away before elevating his game to that level.

Basically put, if we get 15 & 1 and hopefully 3-5 tackles from Schroder, it's enough to match what Caddy has done this year.
Schroder is a great goal sneak- he can put away the ball from difficult angles and out of congestion like you wouldn't believe! I hope that, if he plays, he gets a few chances to get these snaps because so many teams get them against us but we don't seem to be able to get the ball between the big posts from those snaps out of stoppages like they do.

I think that if we play the "zone off game" they will cut us to ribbons with their precise kicking game. We need to play close and force them into contests and burn them on the turnover. We allowed the Hawks too much room last time to move the ball freely around the ground. Give no room for them to play their style of game. If we don't we are done.
It always seems so clear to us supporters, rabbi- why can't the coaching staff and players see and implement these plans properly?

- Aka gifting the ball to Midget! :eek: :confused: ;) Who hopefully will be totally 'Guthried' (forgive me for not honouring the person who coined the term).
- With Kelly's current terrific form, Selwood also head first into contests, Stokes + Varcoe snaffling the ball, Duncan too! It's a good plan Maxy!
- What's the plan to "get a bit more value for effort from our forward entries"?
Straighter kicking at goal and hopefully getting more from the second tall forward option I'd say. The smalls seem to be locking it in well though so mainly just taking the chances that present themselves

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And his kicking for goal?
His kicking generally is a major weakness. Something I'm sure the coaching staff are working on. That said, the ball came off his boot very well in the twos GF so he's shown he has the capability to do it. It may be a confidence thing.

He's a competitive beast, can take a contested mark and is very agile for a big bloke. Think he's only 21 and it's generally considered big players take longer to develop. He's worth persevering with in my view.

Apologies upfront,
Just want to let you know anybody who wants a free pass into the Social Club please pm me.
My friend cannot go anymore so ticket paid for, happy to supply to a Cats fan for Zilch.

You will be sitting next to me, hope that doesn't worry anybody.

Cheers.
Who would like to sit next to a bad tempered badger?? lol Do you bite??

I hope you got a taker or three, btb- wish I could put my hand up but am too far away, unfortunately :(

The prelim definitely. But agree with the rest of your post it has been a defiantly slow build but like Guthrie I'm sure he has been tasked with improving certain aspects of his game first rather than getting a free run at it.
Bringing to the seniors what he went back to the twos last year to work on, perhaps? Then WHAM! Free run?

Agree with the bolded. In percentage terms, last year our last quarters were our worst (501 points for, 489 against, 102.45%). So far this year they're our best (102 points for, 49 against, 208.16%). That suggests to me we're not busting a gut in chasing tail from the start and have more petrol in the tank at the end of games.
I love how some people know just what stats to pull out to prove a point. Well done, Winty!

yeah, we may have won... but they are hopeless against hawthorn, whereas geelong dont hold the same fear for them. they almost certainly wouldnt have played like that against us.

anyway, who knows how it would have played out. im certainly not claiming it as a flag won had we only held on against hawthorn. freo were/are a very good side.
Freo know they can physically beat up on the Cats and (apart from Scarlo) it will remain unpunished. The Hawks aren't too afraid to punch back because they know the MRP never checks footage of their games.

Ha you say.. convoluted , hard to understand and too complex... I doubt that for someone of your wisdom;)

4.8 verses us in last years PF in the last quarter to 1.1
12 scoring opportunities to 2. I really wonder( if we had the ability to check ) how many quarters in the last 10 years where we have given 12 chances and allowed another team to beat is from 20 points up. Its obvious that our method as well as personnel desroyed us last year.

This year so far our defence and our midfield has change that.
The boys were cooked from playing catch up after losing the Freo game :( Sad...

His kicking generally is a major weakness. Something I'm sure the coaching staff are working on. That said, the ball came off his boot very well in the twos GF so he's shown he has the capability to do it. It may be a confidence thing.

He's a competitive beast, can take a contested mark and is very agile for a big bloke. Think he's only 21 and it's generally considered big players take longer to develop. He's worth persevering with in my view.
somehow i dont think they're working on it at all.
hes been at the club for 2 years and its hardly improved.
Dont footy clubs have all these fancy phsycologists these days saying goalkickers shouldnt actually practice goalkicking because its bad for their confidence in front of goal, or some other such rubbish?!
competitive. agile. contested mark. whatever. means sweet F.A. if he cant actually kick straight, which, call me old fashioned, is the MOST important skill, as Sam Newman would say.
Doug Wade is still alive, get him to teach young Walker before he carcs it.

He has been "dead weight" since 2011 but have we had one extra player on our lists because of his injuries?
We've had Cowan,Vardy, Simpson and others there on the LTIL for extended periods as well. I guess we just have to hope that the club knows what it's doing. We are starting to see the results of their perseverance with Simpson. At least if Menzel doesn't come back, the club can say they've given him every chance to get that knee right. He has enormous talent- imagine if we dumped him 2 years ago and he went to another club (Hawks/Freo, anyone?) and played against us in a GF.....

.... and scored a bag of goals against us? huh?I'm happy to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back