Preview AFL Round 5 - Richmond vs Geelong, MCG, 1:45PM Saturday 2 May

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
whens the last time you seen Hs rack up five clearances in a game. Caddy had a stinker and still managed it against North as did Kelly. HS is always missing from this statistic and given his slow pace he needs to be an absolute gun at it.
Both 2014 finals and 5 times in total in 2014.

Caddy did it once in 2014, by the way.

Of the young players, only Guthrie shades him in clearances - 6 times in 2014.

i was. we got destroyed in centre clearances and on the fast break for many reasons, one because HS is slow as treacle and cant win contested ball. face it he aint going to make it. just doesnt have the right combination of physique and talent. he busts his gut though and can never be criticized for lack of effort and isnt a bad mark for his size but its just not enough. Like Mitch Brown he just aint built for the AFL.

If that's true how come he averaged more clearances than Caddy last year?

It's strange, of all the things to pot GHS about, clearances and contested possessions are at the bottom of the list.

Leads to an interesting point….

In the KROCK post game before us international types get cut off, Guthrie was being interviewed about the wake after the game and how there would be review of performance etc and the comment from Benny Cass was that, and Im paraphrasing " that there would be chance to polish a few cold ones off in the aftermath before looking at the Richmond game for next week". Guthrie's response was " a few ?!?!" - not in a tone than meant he was going to err on the side of a total lower than a few. And im not providing any evidence of any mal-doings.

I only bring this up , not as I expect footy players to never have a few after a game or at anytime during the season, but that it seems to be a bit of a reoccurring item amongst the club. Mots goes down for it. Daws got done for it - and all Guthrie eluded to was having some - but it seems to be frequently present. Not a jailable offence

And if you talk to Smithy, Moons, Scarlo, Boris - they all pre 07 freely talk of getting on it hard after a game - good bad or indifferent - so its nothing new by any stretch. Maybe its back in a bigger way than is thought?

Again, Im not expecting a dry 11 months at a footy club.

I will however cite this. Tom Brady, Patriots QB in an interview with Peter King of Sports Illustrated has been quoted as saying that his time management and diet is so precise that he cannot and does not deviate from his schedule for more than 10 mins a day to maintain his allotted sleep, dietary and workout regime. And he is 37 I think.

He gives himself a 3 -4 week period in the off season to "indulge" in some cake, a wine or two but when its the other , say 11 ,months of the year, he is in this routine.

Im sure having Giselle around the house is good reason to keep the life straight lets be honest, but the key point remains the same. Sure the money is different, the lifestyle different etc, but surely there are parallels that can be drawn to show that a more regimented regime and schedule can benefit players.

Im pretty sure getting on the gas does not help.

GO Catters
Um my recollection of that interview from listening in the car was that it wasn't Guthrie who said 'just a few' so I sent a text to my brother asking him about it. He's adamant it wasn't Guthrie but was Mithen.

It's strange, of all the things to pot GHS about, clearances and contested possessions are at the bottom of the list.

Very true GHS adds more there :)
That's why I have high hopes for Gore because he seems like a sort of GHS player in terms of the contested possessions, clearances & tackles, but then Gore also brings more pace so perhaps more outside run.

Um my recollection of that interview from listening in the car was that it wasn't Guthrie who said 'just a few' so I sent a text to my brother asking him about it. He's adamant it wasn't Guthrie but was Mithen.

Great correction and thank you for that. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Happy to be corrected and I apologies for the misleading info -

Well done to you sir!

effen 17500kms difference...

Go Catters

Both 2014 finals and 5 times in total in 2014.

Caddy did it once in 2014, by the way.

Of the young players, only Guthrie shades him in clearances - 6 times in 2014.
Lol. Do you have the full list there. Comparing with Caddy in 2014 is pointless as he hardly played full games in the midfield and missed half the season. But nonetheless you have made me look stupid. Sigh must learn to start arguments with non stats nerds.

Great correction and thank you for that. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Happy to be corrected and I apologies for the misleading info -

Well done to you sir!

effen 17500kms difference...

Go Catters
It has only stuck in my mind as I was impressed with Guthrie, the comment was made and his silence was deafening. That impressed me.

Plenty do it. At least you recognised it! ;)
I'm sure we've all done it more than once.
The trouble is that some threads just zoom along and, if you don't say your piece, you get to the end and you've forgotten the important thing you wanted to say and you just realise nobody else has said it- if only you could remember what it was!! :(

I think he's decent at the real hard bottom of the pack stuff and that would up his numbers.We really do need to look at the roles we throw to some of our players,I'm starting to get a bit sick of the line we like our players to be versatile,for Christ sake can't we establish where each player will bring the most benefit to the side and develop them in that position.

Lol. Do you have the full list there. Comparing with Caddy in 2014 is pointless as he hardly played full games in the midfield and missed half the season. But nonetheless you have made me look stupid. Sigh must learn to start arguments with non stats nerds.

It's not an invalid point - none of Horlin-Smith, Caddy or quite a few others have reproduced anywhere near their 2014 form. I'm certainly not advocating that Horlin-Smith is immune from demotion either. But to me he has shown he's capable at this level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are related though. Whenever the team goes badly it's GHS out regardless of performances whereas it's never Murdoch no matter how bad he has been. It's part of the obsession with pace the MC has regardless of footballing ability or performance.
I actually think it's a function of the role Murdoch plays, rather than his ability or lack of, or his speed and left foot or whatever. If he's fulfilling his duties as per the specific tasks he's been set- even though that might just be "run up and down the boundary and flap your arms every time you are near the play"- he gets a tick from the MC.

It's not an invalid point - none of Horlin-Smith, Caddy or quite a few others have reproduced anywhere near their 2014 form. I'm certainly not advocating that Horlin-Smith is immune from demotion either. But to me he has shown he's capable at this level.
Do you think they're just stuffed from a longer and tougher preseason, partridge, followed by playing all or most of the NAB games? Normally most of our first choice players would only play 2 of the 3, with the older players playing maybe only the one game- the final game.

I think he's decent at the real hard bottom of the pack stuff and that would up his numbers.We really do need to look at the roles we throw to some of our players,I'm starting to get a bit sick of the line we like our players to be versatile,for Christ sake can't we establish where each player will bring the most benefit to the side and develop them in that position.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I would love to just see these things against Richmond (presuming they're all playing):

- Horlin-Smith stuck in the centre square all game.
- Caddy to spend more time in the centre square.
- Murdoch to be within sniffing distance of Hawkins in the forward pocket.
- If Clark is to play as a key forward, then Walker goes out. We can't have three key forwards. Either that or play Clark as a ruckman.
- Cockatoo gets dropped. Sorry, but he's a passenger right now, and we've got too many players not getting the ball as is.

Haha. Don't have the full list but they are easy enough to calculate.

I actually think it's a function of the role Murdoch plays, rather than his ability or lack of, or his speed and left foot or whatever. If he's fulfilling his duties as per the specific tasks he's been set- even though that might just be "run up and down the boundary and flap your arms every time you are near the play"- he gets a tick from the MC.
You seem to know his role quite well! ;)

Blicavs plays in 50th game. A fair accomplishment considering where he has come from and how rapidly he's developed.

A find and a half.

In itself it's not that bad idea. But it sort of flies in the direct face of Scott's frequent refrain that we don't gift players to anyone. Because Cockatoo hasn't gone near earning or deserving senior selection so far. And it's decisions just like that that would gut the morale of the playing group because other players actually doing well in the VFL would be asking why.

Scott likes to keep people in the team until their confidence is completely shot.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I would love to just see these things against Richmond (presuming they're all playing):

- Horlin-Smith stuck in the centre square all game.
- Caddy to spend more time in the centre square.
- Murdoch to be within sniffing distance of Hawkins in the forward pocket.
- If Clark is to play as a key forward, then Walker goes out. We can't have three key forwards. Either that or play Clark as a ruckman.
- Cockatoo gets dropped. Sorry, but he's a passenger right now, and we've got too many players not getting the ball as is.
They need to settle Clark and Blits before they can even think about balancing the side.

While on the subject of GHS, catempire, he had 8 tackles yesterday. He only had 68% TOG, so that count is massive by his standards.
Did you think that, at any time during yesterday's game, he was working as a tagger?
I wasn't paying much attention but he didn't get one clearance himself yesterday though had 17 clearances in 3 games against North last season and averaged 3 per game last season.

whens the last time you seen Hs rack up five clearances in a game. Caddy had a stinker and still managed it against North as did Kelly. HS is always missing from this statistic and given his slow pace he needs to be an absolute gun at it.

he barely plays 60% game time

considering how bad our list is we really have to back him in over the next few years

the one good thing about GHS is he does have footy smarts

While on the subject of GHS, catempire, he had 8 tackles yesterday. He only had 68% TOG, so that count is massive by his standards.
Did you think that, at any time during yesterday's game, he was working as a tagger?
I wasn't paying much attention but he didn't get one clearance himself yesterday though had 17 clearances in 3 games against North last season and averaged 3 per game last season.
Could have been TC. I couldn't pick it up on the TV. I thought in the third quarter he started to get involved in the play a bit more and was a bit surprised to see him finish without a clearance to his name.

Leads to an interesting point….

In the KROCK post game before us international types get cut off, Guthrie was being interviewed about the wake after the game and how there would be review of performance etc and the comment from Benny Cass was that, and Im paraphrasing " that there would be chance to polish a few cold ones off in the aftermath before looking at the Richmond game for next week". Guthrie's response was " a few ?!?!" - not in a tone than meant he was going to err on the side of a total lower than a few. And im not providing any evidence of any mal-doings.
It's not Guthrie saying 'a few', it's one of the guys in the box. Voice was about ten octaves lower than Guthrie's and I'm pretty sure he doesn't drink anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back