Preview AFL Round 5 - Richmond vs Geelong, MCG, 1:45PM Saturday 2 May

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Freo. Just because.
Yes, very good. Had forgotten them because I was thinking that just watching them not make another GF or even watch them lose another GF would make me happy but the supporters seem quite ecstatic to just get to a GF. Obviously they haven't lost enough of them, have they? ;) They just don't seem to hurt enough.
It would be nice to play Freo in a semi every year for a few years and knock them out each year :D

And to see Lyin screw them over and scarper off to another team and kill them, too ;)

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Richmond this week will do me.
Well, you don't ask for much, do you, YPO? I bet though, you have a bottomless list- this week it's 'Richmond', next week you'll be asking for 'just Collingwood, please' and then it'll be 'Thanks- next up, I wish for you to beat Sydney'. I know your type, mate. Never happy!! ;)

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes, very good. Had forgotten them because I was thinking that just watching them not make another GF or even watch them lose another GF would make me happy but the supporters seem quite ecstatic to just get to a GF. Obviously they haven't lost enough of them, have they? ;) They just don't seem to hurt enough.
It would be nice to play Freo in a semi every year for a few years and knock them out each year :D

And to see Lyin screw them over and scarper off to another team and kill them, too ;)

Never want to see his style of coaching rewarded.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
I guess. Dunno mate, just sense we have internal issues happening again. Something's just not right with the group. I can accept we no longer have the cattle, can accept the continuing injuries, but when players are making basic fundamental errors, and are unwilling to support their teammate if they are in a wrestle behind play, or show very little hurt at the end of games . . . you know the culture is back to an all time low.
Caddy looked terrific during the summer updates. The videos and the photos the club kept on updating us with showed a player in ripping condition. People who would go and watch open sessions commented on how ready he looks.
Come the real stuff, he's just been a complete shell of the player we saw at the end of last year. Why?

It ain't just him mate. It's very demoralizing. In regards to waving the white flag, a loss this weekend, and it's almost season over.
Bobby the training videos we were getting preseason showed deplorable ball skills by the boys and it was commented on here by my self and others and I'm now lead to believe we don't have a ruck coach for 2015,I do wonder sometimes if we are fair dinkum this year.

BlightysCats

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Phil Opiontube Phillies
I guess. Dunno mate, just sense we have internal issues happening again. Something's just not right with the group. I can accept we no longer have the cattle, can accept the continuing injuries, but when players are making basic fundamental errors, and are unwilling to support their teammate if they are in a wrestle behind play, or show very little hurt at the end of games . . . you know the culture is back to an all time low.
Caddy looked terrific during the summer updates. The videos and the photos the club kept on updating us with showed a player in ripping condition. People who would go and watch open sessions commented on how ready he looks.
Come the real stuff, he's just been a complete shell of the player we saw at the end of last year. Why?

It ain't just him mate. It's very demoralizing. In regards to waving the white flag, a loss this weekend, and it's almost season over.
Got to say I agree with Bobby we've shown very little continuity in our play, we seem disjointed and timid with the ball in our hands and half hearted in our tackling and manning up without the ball. I fear a hiding this week with an early Richmond goal fest sealing the game early. I hope to God I'm wrong because I still think it's a game we should win but just the complete lack of confidence across the board with the playing group seems like it has an inevitable momentum carrying us to oblivion this season. Something amazing needs to happen to turn it around.

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Bobby the training videos we were getting preseason showed deplorable ball skills by the boys and it was commented on here by my self and others and I'm now lead to believe we don't have a ruck coach for 2015,I do wonder sometimes if we are fair dinkum this year.

I heard this too, is that for real?
Why would we not have a ruck coach when we used pick 21 to acquire Rhys Stanley, and are trying to mold him into a ruckman? Wouldn't the first year/s be critical to ensuring he learns invaluable techniques, and proper habits from the very beginning?

BlightysCats

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Why would we not have a ruck coach when we used pick 21 to acquire Rhys Stanley, and are trying to mold him into a ruckman? Wouldn't the first year/s be critical to ensuring he learns invaluable techniques, and proper habits from the very beginning?
If this is true then God help us....I mean we'd have to be the only team in the league without a ruck coach? WTF is going on down there?

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
It's as though they have said we don't have a proper ruckman why the f--k bother with a ruck coach.

BlightysCats

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
must be money issues. Save as much money as possible. We're in debt for the first time in years aren't we?
Money issues? Seriously Melbourne and the Bulldogs would have a ruck coach and they have to be in way more debt than us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
So Richmond on the rebound after embarrassing loss. It will be no easy game this week. In a way this week will tell us a bit more on where we sit.
Beaten by Hawks, Freo and to a degree North. We are talking high end teams. A loss to Rich should would have the bell sounding.

I think the bell will be tolling loud and clear after the game unfortunately.

As bad as they are, I just can't see us going with them, especially after their coach rubbished their intensity last week.

They'll hit the ball hard, and we've only got one guy who can match them on that score. Maybe two, if Walker plays.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
So Richmond on the rebound after embarrassing loss. It will be no easy game this week. In a way this week will tell us a bit more on where we sit.
Beaten by Hawks, Freo and to a degree North. We are talking high end teams. A loss to Rich should would have the bell sounding.
in addition- 6 out of the next 7 games will be away games, 3 of those interstate (Sydney, WCE and Adelaide). Our 4th coming game is our only home game in this block and will be played against Carlton at Etihad. Apart from that game, we don't play another home game until we face Melbourne at Simonds Stadium in Round 12.
It's going to be a miserable month or two if our 'away' form follows that of 2014 :(

BlightysCats

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
in addition- 6 out of the next 7 games will be away games, 3 of those interstate (Sydney, WCE and Adelaide). Our 4th coming game is our only home game in this block and will be played against Carlton at Etihad. Apart from that game, we don't play another home game until we face Melbourne at Simonds Stadium in Round 12.
It's going to be a miserable month or two if our 'away' form follows that of 2014 :(
Which it will. We'll get belted in everyone of those three away games. We'll most likely be 2 and 10 at the halfway mark. :mad:

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
must be money issues. Save as much money as possible. We're in debt for the first time in years aren't we?
Yes, we didn't have a good year, Bobby- we were down about a 1/4 $mill (our first operating loss in 15 years) but this year we have an extra home game to make up for that- last year we played 2 home games at Etihad (because of their contract with the AFL) and having one less would've pulled us over the financial line.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
B: Bews, Rivers, Kolojashnij
HB: Thurlow, Taylor, Enright
C: Caddy, Duncan, Motlop
HF: Johnson, Clark, Gregson
F: Walker, Hawkins, Kelly

Foll: Stanley, Selwood, Gore

Int: Blicavs, Guthrie, Horlin-Smith, Blease

Out: Murdoch, Cockatoo, Lang

Ins: Kolodjashnij, Gore, Blease

Kelly to play as a defensive forward tackling his heart out. Gore to come in for Cockatoo and straight into the guts. Blease for Murdoch. JK to finally be debuted.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Money issues? Seriously Melbourne and the Bulldogs would have a ruck coach and they have to be in way more debt than us.
Melbourne and the Bulldogs probably get more assistance from the AFL. Remember how Cooky arced up about the money we were to be paying into the equalisation fund? The money that was capped at a particular amount, allowing the richer clubs like the Pies and Hawks get away with paying a fraction of their income, while we (as usual) got slugged an unfair whack.

Here's his recent interview regarding club spending, etc. Apparently we let 30 staff members go, due to tightening of our financial purse strings.
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...th-top-afl-clubs/story-fnjuhrxq-1227266172232

and this is what Carter had to say about last year's summit on the AFL's equalisation fund campaign, where leaders of the big AFL clubs and one or two leaders of smaller clubs were taken over to the US and the nitty gritty bits hammered out. Of course it was a matter of the bigger clubs having the most pull i.e. the Pies and Hawks, etc. having the biggest say.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-campaign-on-equalisation-20140617-zsaw3.html

Interesting game against a mid team that has threatened to beat us the last few years, yet our better experience and composure has gotten us the points. Despite many calling for Cockatoo to be sent to the 2's I would keep him in just because of the MCG factor. Give him, Lang and Gregson a good run at the G and hopefully they can find more space. Also Walker is at a critical time in his development, too good it seems (on form) than the VFL, yet not helping him as the third tall in the Forward line. When Hawkins was out he played well as the go to man, yet as the third he is ignored or defers to the more experienced Hawkins and now Clarke. Hopefully the pathetic bombing of the ball into the forward 50 and 'hoping for the best' game plan is more refined this week.

My understanding (heard it talked about by a former player, Mooney I think) is the ruck coach was a sacrifice made as part of this new footy department spending cap and subsequent tax for going over.

Apparently Hamish is acting as ruck mentor...

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
I will NOT 'like' that comment, though I usually 'like' comments that I agree with. Perhaps you could've put it in more fluffy marshmallow-like terms ;)

Think he was saying that our delicate little derriere's will be gently flagellated and politely handed to us on the finest of china plates with all due care and regular consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back