MVP AFL Round 5 votes - Geelong v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I am pretty sure that I saw some putting Murdoch in the votes? I don't get that at all, I reckon he will be lucky to hold his spot on that performance.

I thought he was pretty ok actually. Found a reasonable amount of the pill for someone playing half-forward in a team that was kicking it long, was generally quite direct with it and kicked two. Sure you're not confusing him with Burbs?

I thought he was pretty ok actually. Found a reasonable amount of the pill for someone playing half-forward in a team that was kicking it long, was generally quite direct with it and kicked two. Sure you're not confusing him with Burbs?
Just lacked composure.

That kick to Hmac (when Hmac hit the post).
He actually hesitated like he wanted to give it off.

At VFL level he wouldn't have blinked. He would have kicked that goal.
All good though. Good experience.

Just lacked composure.

That kick to Hmac (when Hmac hit the post).
He actually hesitated like he wanted to give it off.

At VFL level he wouldn't have blinked. He would have kicked that goal.
All good though. Good experience.
Yeh, I remember thinking at the time that it didn't matter which option he picked as long as he picked the first one. The hesitation killed me!

Lotta footy luv for a lot of players yesterday. With apologies to Rivers, Stokes, Kelly, Enright, Varcoe, Guthrie, Hunt........
5 SJ
4 HAWK
3 DUNCAN
2 SIMPSON
1 HARRY
Dawson Simpson got no plaudits but his work at stoppages was tremendous. Harassed like a midsized player.

Tackling, workrate and treamwork overall was close to as good as it gets at this stage of a season against quality opposition.

5. Hawkins
4. Rivers
3. Taylor
2. McIntosh
1. Johnson

similar to @lwmorton3121 just hair-tearing stuff from SJ. Plenty of it, sure but some of his antics just kill you.
Um! Think you’ve well and truly let your heart (dislike for a genuine football talent) overrule your head.

34 disposals (consistently at 8,8,10,8). 76% efficiency rate. 11 contested. 12 pressure acts. 3 goals. 10 score assists.

Admittedly a few clangers but less than the skipper and only a couple more than a player you rated higher.

Interesting that both coaches gave him BOG. And CS can be his harshest critic.

As a sidelight. Watched a bit of the replay and was taken with the number of times Chamberlain warned Hawthorn players for behind the play snipes in the first ¼. Birchall, Freakhead and Smith all mentioned. Not something obvious at the game. Bit of a pattern there. Wondered whether it was a pre-game strategy to get our players in. Credit to our guys for concentrating on the ball.

Um! Think you’ve well and truly let your heart (dislike for a genuine football talent) overrule your head.

34 disposals (consistently at 8,8,10,8). 76% efficiency rate. 11 contested. 12 pressure acts. 3 goals. 10 score assists.

Admittedly a few clangers but less than the skipper and only a couple more than a player you rated higher.

As a sidelight. Watched a bit of the replay and was taken with the number of times Chamberlain warned Hawthorn players for behind the play snipes in the first ¼. Birchall, Freakhead and Smith all mentioned. Not something obvious at the game. Bit of a pattern there. Wondered whether it was a pre-game strategy to get our players in. Credit to our guys for concentrating on the ball.
I'm not even qualified to be an armchair expert, and I'm not going to have an extended argument with anyone, least of all the coaches. Nor have I watched any replay or extended highlights. However my recollection of his stuff ups is that many were very costly in terms of either (i) costing us a goal/or a clear shot on goal OR (ii) propelling Hawthorn forward for the same.

We all need to take into account the shear weight of possession that he had but when compared to the likes of Taylor and Rivers, I felt they stood up under pressure all game. Again you could probably tear me a new one with better facts and recollections of passages of play.

5 SJ
4 Hawkins
3 Jimmeh
4 Duncan
5 Rivers

Mentions; Taylor, Stokes, Selwood, Kelly, Hamish, Dawson, Murda, H-Smith, Enright, Guthrie,

Absolutely AM. They were smashing everyone. Selwood just kept getting nailed.
If it was me trying to put a tough footprint on the game, I'd pick someone else.

Absolutely AM. They were smashing everyone. Selwood just kept getting nailed.
If it was me trying to put a tough footprint on the game, I'd pick someone else.
I reckon this is one of the best examples of how we are in their heads. They don't do this against other teams but they seem quite preoccupied with it against us.

I'm not even qualified to be an armchair expert, and I'm not going to have an extended argument with anyone, least of all the coaches. Nor have I watched any replay or extended highlights. However my recollection of his stuff ups is that many were very costly in terms of either (i) costing us a goal/or a clear shot on goal OR (ii) propelling Hawthorn forward for the same.

We all need to take into account the shear weight of possession that he had but when compared to the likes of Taylor and Rivers, I felt they stood up under pressure all game. Again you could probably tear me a new one with better facts and recollections of passages of play.
Nah mate. You're of course as entitled to your opinion as the rest of us. Just thought SJ was special. Ran hard all day. Not only got his hands on the ball a lot but was physical. Also a very good on-field organiser. And influenced the game at critical moments. Guess I've just become inured to his brain fades.

Last edited:
If you take the game on like Johnno does you're invariably going to make a few blunders. Genius comes with some baggage, unless your name is Ablett. I wouldn't swap him for any other half-forward/mid currently doing the rounds. His game yesterday was simply terrific despite a few clangers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On replay Stevie J was a lot better than at the game, probably the tension of the game means I judge those ridiculous errors so harshly, same with a certain captain kicking into the man on the mark.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

On replay Stevie J was a lot better than at the game, probably the tension of the game means I judge those ridiculous errors so harshly, same with a certain captain kicking into the man on the mark.

SJ did that twice, once with a kick, once with a handpass... bartel also did it once. bizarre.

I am pretty sure that I saw some putting Murdoch in the votes? I don't get that at all, I reckon he will be lucky to hold his spot on that performance.

you sure did see someone do that... it was me. i thought he was good, and nailed two very important goals in the third and last.

also, i just really like him.

a few times in the vote threads i have given 'encouragement votes' to players i like, who may not have strictly been top 5, especially not on the popular view. but thats fine, we can all disagree and look for different things during a game, and enjoy things from different players.

he wont, and shouldnt, be dropping out the 22... just my opinion.

Thought it was one of Murda's poorer outings. Seemed the game was too quick for him early as he was getting caught often. It was also reflected in his poor disposal. 38% efficiency rate is way below par. Redeemed himself by snagging a couple when the pace went off the game.

I think his indecisiveness actually cost us goals, more than the heavily criticised Burbury. But later on he did work back into the game a little bit.

SJ did that twice, once with a kick, once with a handpass... bartel also did it once. bizarre.

you sure did see someone do that... it was me. i thought he was good, and nailed two very important goals in the third and last.

also, i just really like him.

a few times in the vote threads i have given 'encouragement votes' to players i like, who may not have strictly been top 5, especially not on the popular view. but thats fine, we can all disagree and look for different things during a game, and enjoy things from different players.

Fair enough. I like Murdoch as well as he has serious talent, just not close to a 4 qtr player at this point in his career.

Having said that, he had 13 possessions @ 38% efficiency. Not good. If Motlop and Christensen were fit right now, 2 of Burbury, Sheringham and Murdoch would be the guys to drop out of the team IMO.

It's one thing (among many) that infuriates me about the umpires. Why a warning? Why not pay a free kick immediately or even report them? If you want to stop it pay a free every minute for the first 5 minutes, pretty sure Clarkson might tell them to reel it in if it costs them goals.

But no, the little man with the microphone has to warn them instead. Just ridiculous.

Murdoch won't be getting dropped. He's absolutely got things to work on. Like a lot of left-footers he's very one-sided, and his peripheral vision and awareness can go from moderate to non-existent. But - he knows where the goals are. He had a quiet game but still popped up with two critical goals. That to me is a big part of why he's in the side. And while the game tally continues to accrue he'll keep slowly getting better.

He's on the way up. He'll be around or past 40 games by September. And he's averaging career-highs in goals and disposals. I'll take that.

It's one thing (among many) that infuriates me about the umpires. Why a warning? Why not pay a free kick immediately or even report them? If you want to stop it pay a free every minute for the first 5 minutes, pretty sure Clarkson might tell them to reel it in if it costs them goals.

But no, the little man with the microphone has to warn them instead. Just ridiculous.

Because they realise in the heat of a hugely intense hard game that emotions can boil to the top and instead of penalising every tiny little thing that's its best to let it go and let the guys know to cool down a bit?
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back