Game Day AFL Round 6 - Collingwood vs Essendon Matchday Discussion (ANZAC DAY)

2014 AFL PREMIERSHIP SEASON
ROUND 6
COLLINGWOOD VS ESSENDON
FRIDAY 25TH APRIL 2.40PM
M.C.G.

ad222.png

BRODACAST GUIDE;
http://www.afl.com.au/broadcastguide

WEATHER;

Forecast; http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/melbourne.shtml

Radar; http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR022.loop.shtml#skip

LEST WE FORGET. They are the final words of the ANZAC oath, read out each ANZAC day at ceremonies right around Australia and New Zealand, on a day that has become as respected as any in the Australasian calendar. Since 1995, the AFL has honoured the ANZAC's before a packed crowd at the MCG, with a game between Collingwood and Essendon whose result isn't anywhere as meaningful as the day itself. But since that first game in 1995, which fittingly ended in a draw, sporting events of the major codes have helped raise awareness of the ANZAC's and what they did for their nation. Many made the ultimate sacrifice and it's right that now the day, and our servicemen and women get the respect they deserve. The pre match service at the MCG on this day is as moving and as touching as any memorial day held anywhere in the world, and this year that tradition will continue.

Obviously though there's a game to be played, and while it's still just a game it's of vital importance to the respective teams. Collingwood, the biggest sporting organisation in the land, come into this game with renewed vigour and confidence after two strong wins in a row, while Essendon come in on the back of two rather embarrassing losses. If history has taught us anything about this annual clash, ladder positions and form can be thrown out the window and anything can and probably will happen on the day. From the beginning, and that now famous draw, there's been a few epic finishes, with the 2009 and 2012 results being the most recent. In 2009 in driving rain the Bombers David Zaharakis kicked the match winning goal with only seconds left, while in 2012 Magpie Jarryd Blair returned the favour with a scrambling last minute goal to return the favour. So be careful about digging too far into the form for this one, and maybe just sit back and enjoy another ANZAC day classic.

pic123.jpg

RECENT FORM

If you do take a look at recent form though, Essendon's pales in comparison to any other finals contending team in the competition. After looking very good for the first three rounds of the season, Essendon then travelled to Perth in round 4 and from the moment they landed everything seemed to go wrong. From players getting ill pre game to injuries in the warm up, it really was a day from hell fro the Bombers as they were smashed by Fremantle to the extent of 53 points. Yes it was hot and things went wrong, but what happened the following week no one could have foreseen. Essendon came home to play St Kilda at Etihad Stadium on Saturday and despite a positive start once again the Bombers struggled to fight out a game when asked to do so. The Saints, massive underdogs for the game ran away with the game after quarter time and placed Essendon firmly in the middle of a mini crisis.

Collingwood's form is almost the complete opposite, after a tough start to the season the Magpies have found form and have notched up three wins out of their last 4 games. The last two wins against Richmond and North Melbourne have been impressive in many ways, but it's been the pressure that the Pies have been able to place on the competition that has been their main weapon. The return to form of Travis Cloke and Dane Swan has helped, and finally the injury list at Collingwood is decreasing also. All is looking up for the Magpies indeed.

COLLINGWOOD PREVIEW

pies1.jpg

A few weeks back it seemed as if Collingwood's season was on the edge of disaster after a second loss of the season in just three games. As it's turned out though, that loss to Geelong was as honourable as losses get (11 points to the still undefeated Cats) and from there everything is looking up for the Pies. Wins against the Tigers and Kangaroos have seen an increase in confidence and intensity amongst the playing group. Now for the first time in a long time Collingwood has several players pushing for selection through the VFL, with the likes of Taylor Adams, Ben Kennedy, Ben Hudson, Patrick Karnezis, Sam Dwyer and Nathan Brown all playing well in the reserves last weekend. This week also sees the return to VFL action for Paul Seedsman, Tim Broomhead and maybe Marley Williams.

Selection this week seemed to be tough but Collingwood in the end stuck with the same 22 that played last weekend, with Dwyer, Adams and Brown as the emergencies. All three are stiff to miss out, but that's how well this side is going at the moment. In that 22 that have been retained once again, several stood out and performed magnificently. Alex Fasolo's move to half back seems to be working really well, with the ex forward massing 32 possessions at a disposal efficiency of over 84%. He's the type of skilful player many sides seek coming out of the backline these days, and he really is showing a tonne of potential in this role. Some of the Pies stars returned to form too against the Kangaroos, with Swan, Cloke, Lumumba and Maxwell all dominating in their particular areas. New captain Scott Pendlebury continued his stellar form and it seems as if being made captain has actually improved his game, which is scary for future opposition.

Collingwood will see this game as an opportunity to really get their season back on track. If they can win it, they go to a 4-2 win loss record with a draw that seems easier than the one they've just endured. It really is a big game for the Pies and you'd expect the champion midfielders they have to stamp their authority on the game once again.

OPPOSITION ANALYSIS

bombers1.jpg

Essendon are in somewhat of a mini crisis, they are struggling to produce the type of football that only weeks ago had them being talked up as a top 4 contender. The trip to Perth and subsequent loss wasn't seen as an absolute disastrous result, but the loss to St Kilda really has the club in turmoil, with several big name players on the edge of being dropped for poor performances. Why it's turned around so quickly is anyone's guess, it could be injuries, it could be a lack of defensive pressure or it could be the game plan fails under pressure. Whatever it is the Bombers have to get back on track this Friday, and they only have a few days to prepare to do so. The positive news for Essendon is the probable return of Goddard, Winderlich and Bellchambers, but to blame all the problems on personnel seems like a cop out. Essendon do have weaknesses, but they also have areas of strength that can exploit this Collingwood outfit.

If there's an area that Essendon can attempt to gain an advantage over Collingwood it's in the ruck, but with Bellchambers still a week of returning Ryder will be left with the majority of the ruck duties.The problem is that below those rucks is a midfield which is struggling, with Essendon ranked 14th for contested possessions. It's a strange occurrence when the Bombers have players like Watson, Stanton, Heppell, Myers and Zaharakis in that midfield rotation. The absence of Goddard hurts in several areas, not of least the midfield. Of course this week they run into the powerful Collingwood midfield, and while the stats don't back up just how strong the Pies central grouping is, when an opposition sees Pendlebury, Beams, Swan, Ball and Sidebottom on the team sheet, you know you are in for a tough day. It may not be where this game is won or lost though.

hurley1.jpg

The Essendon backline has struggled over the past few weeks, but it hasn't been entirely their fault with their midfield failing to put enough pressure on the opposition at times. The worry is that two of the league's hardest working forwards, Pavlich and Riewoldt have worked the Dons over and this week they run into Travis Cloke, Jesse White and the in form Jamie Elliott. Essendon don't really have the means to improve their backline too much either, with the possible ins being midfielders and forwards more than defenders. One of the biggest problems is what to do with Hurley and Carlisle, who are both struggling at the moment. Carlisle seems to be more effective in the backline, while Hurley seems better up forward, but in recent weeks those roles have been reversed with mixed results. Collingwood also relies on it's midfield for scoring so Essendon's defense will need help from it's midfield in restricting the Magpies score.

Essendon's forward line looks dangerous on paper, but last week it really struggled to put the score on the board, despite have almost as many inside 50's as the Saints. It's an area they will look to exploit Collingwood in but youngsters Jack Frost and Lachlan Keeffe have made up for the absence of Brown and Reid in recent times, so even a weakened Pies defense isn't easy to dominate. The inclusion of Paul Champan this year has helped though, with his 9 goals in 4 games (he missed the Fremantle game) helping cover up the other problems up forward. Hardingham (9 goals) and Stanton (8 goals) have also impacted the scoreboard so far in 2014, but to defeat a side like Collingwood they'll need plenty of contributors to the score board.

Essendon need to rebound, and they need to do it quickly. A loss to the Pies would leave them at 2-4, and from there it's a hard task just to make the finals, let alone be a contender for a top 4 spot. To win they'll need to play as a team though, something that has been missing over the past two weeks. There's also been questions about the players individual recovery, and yet another six day break will bring that into focus, and need, once again. These two teams match up pretty well though, so if Essendon can get themselves up for this game and work hard for four quarters they could cause an upset.

TEAMS

Collingwood
B:
Alan Toovey, Jack Frost, Nick Maxwell
HB: Clinton Young, Lachlan Keeffe, Heritier Lumumba
C: Steele Sidebottom, Brent Macaffer, Dane Swan
HF: Josh Thomas, Jesse White, Jarryd Blair
F: Jamie Elliott, Travis Cloke, Tyson Goldsack
Foll: Brodie Grundy, Dayne Beams, Scott Pendlebury
Int: Alex Fasolo, Luke Ball, Jarrod Witts, Tom Langdon
Emg: Sam Dwyer, Taylor Adams, Nathan Brown

Essendon
B: Hardingham Carlisle Winderlich
HB: Chapman Daniher Zaharakis
C: Merrett Watson Stanton
HF: Dempsey Hooker Hibberd
F: Baugley Hurley Fletcher
Foll: Ryder Heppell Melksham
Int: Gleeson, Howlett, Ashby, Merrett

In Dempsney Winders Zerrett
Out Myers Jetta Hocking

TIP

Collingwood go into this year's ANZAC day clash as favourites, and rightfully so. They have the better form, they are working harder as a team and they seem to be all buying into the coaches plan. Essendon are almost the opposite, in poor form, their work rate has been down and they are missing plenty of key players. But playing in front of 90,000 people seems to change things some times, with form and selection issues being overcome quite easily in previous clashes on this day.

On form though, and on paper, you have to tip the Pies.

MAGPIES BY 18 POINTS.

VFL

The day after ANZAC day (Saturday) both clubs will face off again in the VFL at Essendon's traditional home ground, Windy Hill. The game starts at 1.10pm and is the ABC TV game.

rose jam

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hard to pick Essendons form, they were pretty hit until hitting a hot day in Perth and then suffering the side effects the following week. I'd look at them more as the team that beat Carlton by 13 goals then the one suffering heat stroke the last 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pies by 28.

ANZAC Medal: Skod Emblebry.

Tag outcome: Jobe Watson 16 disposals at 46% efficiency.

piedpiper32

All Australian
Nov 24, 2013
Beijing
AFL Club
Collingwood
If this was any other round I'd be very confident given recent form, our settled lineup, and their outs. But for ANZAC Day it often doesn't follow the script so I'm not tipping a blowout. Pies doing the job required, 22 point victors. Beams for the ANZAC medal.

To those who are getting to the game ENJOY! Would love to be there :(

Kilmo

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
My conservative predictions:

Elliott makes Fletcher his stepladder and kicks 6. Elliott wins ANZAC medal
White sets the G on fire and slots goals like there is no tomorrow
Cloke makes Hurley wish he could switch places with a laconic Carlisle
Witts monsters the Essendon midfield brigade like Godzilla through an unsuspecting Tokyo
Sidebottom, Lumumba, Young and Fas shoot the ball down the wing like they run the joint, running rings around black and red witches hats and makes The Speedsman's teeth chatter
Frost's rugby tackles see him turn down multimillion dollar offers from cross-code rugby poachers to sign a deal that sees him a pie for life
Officials stop the match half way through the second quarter to give Grundles his Rising Star award
Big Lachie Keeffe brings a tear to Anthony Rocca's eye to see the great no.23 worn with pride and glory
Swanny kicks a cheeky goal and rubs his belly
I am a happy man

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
pies by a couple of goals, should be a good game.

DaicosianMarvels

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pies by 46 points and Dane Swan to win the medal.

This game will be the game we stamp our authority for season 2014 and show the AFL world we are still a force in the comp.

Lose this game and there go the top 4 chance we have but if we win and go up 4-2 and our season looks really bright. I have no doubt if we come out with intensity and sustain it long enough which we are capable, of we will win and win well.

Super confident here, we are a much better side than Essendon on paper even at full strength.

Bombers36

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2008
Keilor East
AFL Club
Essendon
Should be a good game, but you guys definitely have the edge.
Our key forwards Carlisle & Daniher are still taking time to gell together, but Cloke & White are both coming off good games last week.
No Goddard, Hocking, Bellchambers or Myers won't help our cause, and we are going to have to rely on our small - medium forwards and onballers to kick goals. Just cant see us kicking enough goals - UNLESS - Zaharaaaakkkkiiiiisssssss.....!!!
Good luck for the game cant wait!

SwanDaneFan1991

Emeritus Boot Studding Professor
Jul 20, 2012
The Pivotonian Wilderness
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Few people getting up and about here. Calm down chaps, the Essendon faithful will be relying on our arrogance and complacency!!

That said, a few factors that I would like to see through the progression of the game:

- McDonalds' Cafeteria tearing either Watson or Heppell a new sphincter. The former is a crucial aspect of the Bombers' midfield, and the latter is a very versatile midfielder slash resting forward pocket.

- DO NOT LET WINDERLICH KICK ANY GOALS!!! Last year I tore my hair out when this bloke came from nowhere and monsters three sausages. He reminds me of the team who lost to the Crows by 16 goals in that Elimination Final in 2009, ergo, he should not be bagging any scores today

- Swanny has to fire, and amalgamate with the consistent efforts of Pendlebury, Beams, and Sidebottom. If all four go fire crackers, the game will be over before the fat lady even climbs off her couch. I hope each one fight tooth and nail for the Anzac Medal, with extra points for the one who can beat Medhurst's speech ;)

- Run off half back/ defensive side of midfield through Lumumba, Fasolo, and Young. These blokes have the ability to kick reasonably efficiently, and also the leg speed to rebound through the corridor. If they spot up players frequently, it will be hard for the Bombers to double back. Additionally, would love Fasolo to get the calibre possessions he did against North, and I think he has done a reverse Daicos, who started as a midfielder himself. Fasolo also has a michelle against the Bombers, so I imagine he fancies his chances

- Backs in Frost and Langdon need to keep the Bombers quiet. Chapman seems a danger man, and he has a reasonable record against the Pies, right back to when he had hair. Frost has been exceptional on the tall forwards of late, except the late blemishes against Hawkins. Langdon is in the same boat, only a few games old, but improving dramatically by the week in Buckley's set up.

- I forgot to mention Possum eyes, who has been reasonable in his return from long term injury. He can provide a run with role on the taller forwards, and through his awkward kicking style, can get the ball moving. I might be wrong, but he has gone a bit unnoticed through the past few weeks, and just needs to keep getting the job done

- Clokey showed some shear brute strength against the inform Thompson last week, and even got him reported and suspended. He has seemed to struggle on Anzac Day both in 2012 and 2013, and the Cloke that turns up usually determines the form of the Pies. I hope he can kick his bag of three or four, with the help of players I will now mention, and maybe even improve on the four he got against the shinboners, with some sensational contested marking. Long and straight kicking would be a bonus too

- Jesse White has been outstanding, and is literally our answer to Ben Reid's absence in the team. Does anyone think Q-Stick will get back? White has the mobility to lead up, kick from outside the arc, and snatch crucial goals. He might even prove better than Leroy Brown was, and good heavens after Leroy's efforts in the Grand Final years, that would have a few Pies crowing from the Southern end!

- The smalls in Blair, Elliot, and I want to say Goldsack, for the life of me I cannot remember the third small. As I have been corrected in the past, Elliot is a super marking pocket player, and he is able to rove the pack whether receiving a hand pass or off the marking contest from Cloke or White. If he kicks his back of three, or even a brace, it will be at crucial moments when the momentum swings in our favor. Blair has somewhat diminished his presence since his roaring start to his career, but he is still around, and he has the knack of sneaking up on the opposition. The Sack was the original swing man, so please kick straight old mate!!!

- Tackle pressure!! PRESSURE, PRESSURE, PRESSURE!!! I am confident this will happen in the defensive half, and this will decide the game

- Luke Ball to get in and under the packs, and give his all with tackling and hard ball gets. He is the one percent supremo.

- Witts and Grundy need to control the ruck. I think Grundy can be mobile and aggressive, but controlled aggression. He is prone to giving away unnecessary free kicks, but this at least shows he wears his heart on a Collingwood sleeve.

If I missed something or someone, let the next person correct me. I love this day having had my Grandfather fight at Tobruk, on the western front, and on the Kokoda trail against the Japanese. The man was smaller than Jarryd Blair, and how he got shot three times and survived, is a miracle.

I am reluctant to give a tip, and definitely not a margin, as I do not want it to come back and bite me. I was forced in my tipping, so I am retracting my five goal margin I gave ;) that said, this game is crucial, and I sincerely hope we come out and run the Bombers' through with the proverbial sword.

Floreat Pica,

Jim

Foxx

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Hopefully it's a good game for the sake of the cause and fans. Shame about our line up, would be good to see a contest between both teams at full strength. Don't think I've seen it on Anzac day yet.

PieNSauce

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2007
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
are jealous!
Hopefully it's a good game for the sake of the cause and fans. Shame about our line up, would be good to see a contest between both teams at full strength. Don't think I've seen it on Anzac day yet.
Quite right. Both sides well away from full strength. Just hoping our inexperienced backline continues to step up.

Ricky90

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey guys, so finally I've managed to get down from QLD for a game and what a game to come for eh?

Just need your advice. I'm in the city, kind of near the Russell st and Lonsdale st intersection, what time should we start heading to the G and what's the best way to get there? Is it walkable? Will I have any issues with navigating around an Anzac parade? Was kind of hoping to avoid cabs pretty much entirely this weekend but if it comes to it, it comes to it. Thanks in advance for any advice you may give!

Hey guys, so finally I've managed to get down from QLD for a game and what a game to come for eh?

Just need your advice. I'm in the city, kind of near the Russell st and Lonsdale st intersection, what time should we start heading to the G and what's the best way to get there? Is it walkable? Will I have any issues with navigating around an Anzac parade? Was kind of hoping to avoid cabs pretty much entirely this weekend but if it comes to it, it comes to it. Thanks in advance for any advice you may give!
About a 15-20 min walk, nice day too. I think that there will be some pre-game stuff so anytime after 1.00.
Could catch a tram from Flinders Street if you don't like walking.
No need for cabs as will be a lot of traffic and also expensive.

1eye

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2007
Aus
AFL Club
Collingwood

Welcome- it's very walkable and enjoy some chinese food along the way. Probably best to get to the game an hour or so beforehand to soak it up (the food and the atmosphere)- allow a 30 min walk. Don't get a cab it's all walking distance, have a good one- go pies

Can't wait to see how the boys perform today on the big stage. Heading to the G in about an hour to catch up with mates in the car park before heading in to watch the game.

Pies by 48 points in a repeat of the margin in the 1990 grand final.

Elliot to kick his first bag of 6, winning the Anzac Day medal.

Oh boy, so excited for this, this time last year I was dreading this match, we were a shambles yet they were a tight kniit unit fighting against the world it seemed.

Now we are that tight knit unit, we are the team that is playing for our coach and our club, and today we'll take back the Anzac trophy.

My initial tip was 18, but that was assuming Goddard and Myers would play, man they are big outs, so Pies by 30.:D

Wander down to Fed Square and then walk along the river. It's a lovely walk. Takes about 20 mins.
I think the gates open at 12 (if you don't have reserved seats)
Have a great day.

Back