Preview AFL Round 6 - Port Adelaide v Geelong, Adelaide Oval, Sunday 27 April

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So he considers him a ruckman.
Yet he doesn't play in the ruck except for small little stints.
Ergo, he is insurance and a free rotation.
The 'special' about Blitz is he is 198cm, agile, can run fast for his height and has a massive tank, however I don't think Blitz has performed as well as last year, he is not getting anywhere near the number of possessions he was getting previously from what I have seen. The other problem is that at 198cm he does not have the aerial skills to play well as a KPP or ruck, yet. What is the point of being 198cm if you can't compete in the air, take a pack mark, spoil against the big men and consistently win a few hitouts?, if his main advantage is his tank he may just as well be 178cm.

I am a big fan and believe he could do anything but he has not been convincing recently.

There is the other argument someone else mentioned about producing a genuine second big forward, if Blitz is a candidate then give him some time there. Further on this I am worried that a massive load is being put on Hamish, he was fantastic against the Hawks, but expecting a ruck to also play KPF game after game is putting massive pressure on him to perform two positions well and consistently. Ottens was fantastic as he could go forward for a while, take a mark, kick a goal then have a rest, before coming back on to ruck, the advantage of having HMac and Simpson at the moment is that we have two #1 ruckman and we are capable of dominating the ruck against most teams.

I would like to see Walker given a couple of games as a forward he has done all the right banging on the door and should be rewarded for good form in the VFL. I know this is separate argument but it is related, since we do not want to be too top heavy, three 'ruckmen' and two KPFs is generally considered an undesirable choice.

Further on this I am worried that a massive load is being put on Hamish, he was fantastic against the Hawks, but expecting a ruck to also play KPF game after game is putting massive pressure on him to perform two positions well and consistently.

Yeah I worry about HMac too. The guy has only just come back from several years out of the game with injuries so I'd hate to see him get an injury from being over-worked. I have faith in the club that they will manage him, but the last thing we need is for him to break down and be gone for the season again.

In: Walker
Out: Blicavs

If Mackie fails a test, Thurlow takes his place.

Motlop returns against Richmond is the best scenario. No use playing him after only a half in the 2's. Needs another solid run.

Will be interesting to see how we go at Adelaide Oval got a feeling we might suffer the almost now traditional post Hawthorn game let down sore bodies, emotions etc.

Port are a power running side will be a good test of our structures, not the kind of game we want to be bringing Mots back into where running power is going to be at a premium.

Might be a good game to give either Dawson or HMac a rest for go with one of them and Blitz as back-up

Outs:
Mackie, a ruckman

In:
Thurlow, Brown (set him a task along the lines of tag Westhof)

In: Walker
Out: Blicavs

If Mackie fails a test, Thurlow takes his place.

Motlop returns against Richmond is the best scenario. No use playing him after only a half in the 2's. Needs another solid run.
Purely reading the tea leaves, not at all persuaded from the comments by CS Walker will be a starter this week.

I don't think they do.
I think his "role" is insurance against 2 injury prone ruckman and as a "free rotation" of sorts.
With a rotation cap having a player that doesn't require a rest means you can rest others while he fills spots. You can put Dawson on the bench for a breather and HMac to FF for likewise and throw Blicavs in the ruck for eg.
Stats matter when you try to imply he does some great thing that no-one else sees.
If he was providing critical run offensively then he would be used as a link up and his disposals, handball recieves and marks would be up.
If he was running defensively or filling potent holes then his tackles would be higher, his intercept marks and 1%ers likewise.
None of them are, because he doesn't do them.

Im not talking about squad management, im speaking of how he is tactically used when on the field.

The gps data is the only stat info that matters with Blitz at this stage in the tactical role he plays. Show it to me if you have it.

He is used as a linkup. He is often in the right spots and not used too. We are 5 weeks into the season. This will be a season long trial with breaks for management. He is not the best option because sometimes its one of our 18 other better players. 5th game as a winger. It will come. He makes very little mistakes a 2nd time with the ball.

His defensive work is mostly off the ball, and he was following the ball for perceived pressure instead of sticking a tackle. Smart. Staying in the play and moving around just outside the contest. We have enough tacklers. Id rather he ran and waved down 4 oppo players chipping it around whilst the 3 spare men have time to get into position to guard the following kick. 2 disposals ahead. Does that get marked down as a stat?
Ability to perceive pressure?

How about ability to run the s**t out of players legs so if they do get it their kicks dont look too pretty?

The impression I got from Chris on "On the Couch" is that he continues to pick them if they play well.

He didn't envisage playing all 3 together, however he's not going to drop any of them until he thinks they don't add anything to the team.

HMac and Daws add something, so I can't see them being dropped, regardless of opposition. This will be a big test for both. Dawson said he wanted to play like Cox. He wanted to add a running dimension to his game. Good chance to do so this week I think.

Blicavs has been mediocre all season, but Chris hasn't dropped him yet, so I can't see why that would change this week.

Could be completely off the mark, but the only change I can see is Mackie out.

Yeah I worry about HMac too. The guy has only just come back from several years out of the game with injuries so I'd hate to see him get an injury from being over-worked. I have faith in the club that they will manage him, but the last thing we need is for him to break down and be gone for the season again.
Further on this I am worried that a massive load is being put on Hamish, he was fantastic against the Hawks, but expecting a ruck to also play KPF game after game is putting massive pressure on him to perform two positions well and consistently. Ottens was fantastic as he could go forward for a while, take a mark, kick a goal then have a rest, before coming back on to ruck, the advantage of having HMac and Simpson at the moment is that we have two #1 ruckman and we are capable of dominating the ruck against most teams.

Hamish has played something like 8 games in two or three years. I think they club are going to push him as far as possible in order to build that match base and experience back up. We have Richmond in two weeks. I think he will miss then. And Blitz will get a crack rucking again with Dawson. Also we have an easier run of games about 2/3rd of the way through the season that's when we'll see him get a couple weeks off I'm sure. Same with Dawson. They are both very underdone in terms of match time.

Im not talking about squad management, im speaking of how he is tactically used when on the field.

The gps data is the only stat info that matters with Blitz at this stage in the tactical role he plays. Show it to me if you have it.

He is used as a linkup. He is often in the right spots and not used too. We are 5 weeks into the season. This will be a season long trial with breaks for management. He is not the best option because sometimes its one of our 18 other better players. 5th game as a winger. It will come. He makes very little mistakes a 2nd time with the ball.

His defensive work is mostly off the ball, and he was following the ball for perceived pressure instead of sticking a tackle. Smart. Staying in the play and moving around just outside the contest. We have enough tacklers. Id rather he ran and waved down 4 oppo players chipping it around whilst the 3 spare men have time to get into position to guard the following kick. 2 disposals ahead. Does that get marked down as a stat?

How about ability to run the s**t out of players legs so if they do get it their kicks dont look too pretty?

images

are you suggesting his invisible hand is at work and we just can't quantify it?
Ablett Snr can hand the mantle of geelong god over to ballroom! his powers are beyond my simple understanding!

The 'special' about Blitz is he is 198cm, agile, can run fast for his height and has a massive tank, however I don't think Blitz has performed as well as last year, he is not getting anywhere near the number of possessions he was getting previously from what I have seen. The other problem is that at 198cm he does not have the aerial skills to play well as a KPP or ruck, yet. What is the point of being 198cm if you can't compete in the air, take a pack mark, spoil against the big men and consistently win a few hitouts?, if his main advantage is his tank he may just as well be 178cm.
+1 Right now I feel he adds very little to the side. I'd like the MC to say he's "X" and send him back to the VFL for a month playing that role. I tell you what it would be fun to try him as a tagger. He would smash blokes after half time and in the last.

The impression I got from Chris on "On the Couch" is that he continues to pick them if they play well.

He didn't envisage playing all 3 together, however he's not going to drop any of them until he thinks they don't add anything to the team.

HMac and Daws add something, so I can't see them being dropped, regardless of opposition. This will be a big test for both. Dawson said he wanted to play like Cox. He wanted to add a running dimension to his game. Good chance to do so this week I think.

Blicavs has been mediocre all season, but Chris hasn't dropped him yet, so I can't see why that would change this week.

Could be completely off the mark, but the only change I can see is Mackie out.

So Chris Scott is happy with Blitz work and has stated his dynamic to the team is unique.

But people here are not happy with their stat spreadsheets.

Id rather a footballer in charge than a bean counter.

Any chance of giving it a rest we get it you like him.

Your last paragraph is possibly the funniest thing i have ever read on Bigfooty.
Keep up the good work!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a load of rubbish, why not just acknowledge he is down on form and needs to impriove to justify his spot.

+1 Right now I feel he adds very little to the side. I'd like the MC to say he's "X" and send him back to the VFL for a month playing that role. I tell you what it would be fun to try him as a tagger. He would smash blokes after half time and in the last.

Chris might see something different.

Maybe Blicavz gets the Gatorade mix perfect pre-game?

Why define him?

Why not just utilise him for what he brings, as he learns?

Why define him?

Why not just utilise him for what he brings, as he learns?
I guess, but at some point he needs to be defined - as it may help him in what he brings, which is not much at present. I'm a big wrap for the kid but I just can't see what he adds over someone like Walker, Sherringham, Brown, et al. I know that he did a pretty decent job working Gunston over and around on Monday and perhaps that's enough for the MC.

You have to admit it's a very unusual experiment the club is trying. I haven't seen anything like it in my lifetime, aside from some of the Irish blokes...

What a load of rubbish, why not just acknowledge he is down on form and needs to impriove to justify his spot.

Because when he has been near the ball 1 out, he always made the right decision, well last game anyway.

He is not down on form, he is just not involved in the contest as much as our ruckmen are due to a roll change. His numbers will rise if the twin towers fall. Lets hope not.

What exactly is it that he is bringing at the moment?
Serious question by the way.

He confuses the opposition as much as he confuses us. Every week they're like, 'what the **** did Chris pick Blitz for? There must be a reason. Let's put all our time and effort into working this bizarre selection out'.

Slight less serious response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back