Preview AFL Round 7 - Geelong v Essendon, Etihad Stadium, 7:50PM Friday 10 May

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Guthrie has come in since then, and Bartel could also move back there again.
I think they'll still share Watson around though, I doubt Corey could do it the whole game; I don't know how long he stayed with Kennedy, because I didn't watch the replay past 1/4 time.
Think it will be a shared responsibility....we have options in Corey, GHS, Taylor Hunt and even Bartel himself. Lets not forget that Watson was effectively curtailed by the GWS midfield this week.

With Stanton going out (likely) it puts more pressure on Watson, shutting him down should be paramount.

With West hitting a bit of form it gives me a bit more hope that he can perform well against Bellchambers - assuming Blicavs plays again (I would still promote Walker myself)....then he may actually be a reasonable matchup for Patty Ryder around the ground. Blicavs should take it upon himself to do a job there and follow Ryder.

Other than that, i'm fairly confident we have the structures to get the better of Essendon without having to worry about individual matchups. Bombers have got a bit of grunt in the forward half now, but Crameri, Gumbleton, Hurley can be shutdown completely by solid team defence.

Going to be a great game and a good test for our boys.

Think it will be a shared responsibility....we have options in Corey, GHS, Taylor Hunt and even Bartel himself. Lets not forget that Watson was effectively curtailed by the GWS midfield this week.

With Stanton going out (likely) it puts more pressure on Watson, shutting him down should be paramount.

With West hitting a bit of form it gives me a bit more hope that he can perform well against Bellchambers - assuming Blicavs plays again (I would still promote Walker myself)....then he may actually be a reasonable matchup for Patty Ryder around the ground. Blicavs should take it upon himself to do a job there and follow Ryder.

Other than that, i'm fairly confident we have the structures to get the better of Essendon without having to worry about individual matchups. Bombers have got a bit of grunt in the forward half now, but Crameri, Gumbleton, Hurley can be shutdown completely by solid team defence.

Going to be a great game and a good test for our boys.

Walker didn't come up from his injury last week, so he hasn't played since Rd 1, and I think he's going to have to get some time under his belt in the 2nds (who don't play this week, either).

I have bad memories of Princes Park. Nice ground but the only 2 games I ever went to there were memorable for the wrong reasons- Milburn knocking out Silvagni in 2001 and feeling scared as a kid by the feral behaviour of Carlton supporters that day, and Round 3 2004 where I witnessed one of the most insipid performances from any Geelong team I've ever seen.

I was there the infamous day Matthews broke Bruns' jaw, I must've been about 9 or 10, eerie atmosphere that day, the crowd was baying for blood all day but when the mayhem finally erupted there was an odd silence - horrible day - Gary Ablett did take a reasonable hanger though so that's something ..

I was there the infamous day Matthews broke Bruns' jaw, I must've been about 9 or 10, eerie atmosphere that day, the crowd was baying for blood all day but when the mayhem finally erupted there was an odd silence - horrible day - Gary Ablett did take a reasonable hanger though so that's something ..

That was before my time. Must have been a pretty volatile atmosphere though, just imagine if that had happened somewhere like Victoria Park.

Got even scarier after the game on the Hurstbridge line train heading out to the Collingwood heartland, especially if we'd beaten them.
The Coodabeens didn't know the half of it.

ha, yeah you'd seriously consider making the ol' scarf & duffle coat scarce in that situation no doubt !
Windy Hill wasn't much better either imo ... didn't mind the Western Oval, never had any probs there ...never made it to Moorabbin, heard it could get a bit hairy though ...

anyway I'd better get back on topic;

It should be a tough game, the Bombers are riding a wave of emotion and good form at the moment and have been pretty impressive when I've had a chance to watch them this year. They more or less had a bye playing a quarter and a bit to beat GWS, and we'll be coming off a 6-day break - still, our club is above such trivialities and certainly won't be leaning on that crutch.

The Bombers seemingly have a clear edge in the ruck, but then again our low-key duo have been pretty gallant so far in 2013 and I can't see them lowering their colours too badly to be honest, they will compete hard as ever.

I'd like to see Heppell made accountable and someone will have to attempt to curb Watson, like yourself and a few others Fred I reckon a Corey/GHS/Hunt type rotation will be the best bet.

I reckon a big game from Tom Hawkins will go a long way to winning this game, he is due to deliver.

Got even scarier after the game on the Hurstbridge line train heading out to the Collingwood heartland, especially if we'd beaten them.
The Coodabeens ydidn't know the half of it.
I've told this story before in the "So why are you a Cats fan?" thread, which probably deserves to be bumped for newer members, as it makes excellent reading http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/so-why-are-you-a-cats-fan.636143/

But when my father first moved to Aus 50 years ago as a teacher at Eltham high school, he became a Collingwood supporter because he lived on the Hurstbridge line, and there was no other choice as far as everyone who lived in the area was concerned. Luckily a few years later, after he had married my mum, he got a job at Belmont high, so they moved to Geelong, and the whole family converted to being Cats fans, which we have been ever since. It's like one of those sliding doors moments, I can't imagine my life if I didn't barrack for Geelong :)

Ironically I now live on the Hurstbridge line, but find the footy crowds on the train to Jolimont very civilised, even when we're playing the Pies, so the old feral tribalism has definitely been watered down now.

I don't think. No I'm sure they wont pick Vardy and him coming back into the side will have little to do with what some others are saying about knocking the door down either,they will have a plan for him and they will stick to it IMO.
A fit and firing Vardy come September will be the priority he would be huge for us come finals..

Fair points and I don't disagree.

All I am saying in is whether Vardy comes in or not, Pods might have go back for this week, though I think he is important to our structure forward and was good again last night.

But as much as Mackie was good on a guy that doesn't play that tall in McGuane, would you want him playing or Crameri or Ryder/Bellchambers? I think they need a proper tall on them so if Brown isn't coming in (and I don't think he will) then Pods may have to go there.

just quickly on princes park, I was there the day ablett kicked 100th vs nth melb (95??)
Ran on the ground, spotted myself in the paper the next day, didn't quite make it to the great man (was at the wrong bloody end) but remember high fiving Barnes and Buddha, think we won by a point too. Good times for a 13 year old, kids are missing out thes days...

Anyways back on topic, Had a beer with my werribee contact on Saturday and he was astounded at Vardy, a class above but thinks KPF should be his go, pods def a chance to play back at stages this year.
Mitch Brown, doesn't think he will make it at the cats.
George Burbury, absolute freak, thinks he will make it.
Josh Hunt still a fair way off, lacking match conditioning but another who is a class above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just quickly on princes park, I was there the day ablett kicked 100th vs nth melb (95??)
Ran on the ground, spotted myself in the paper the next day, didn't quite make it to the great man (was at the wrong bloody end) but remember high fiving Barnes and Buddha, think we won by a point too. Good times for a 13 year old, kids are missing out thes days...

Anyways back on topic, Had a beer with my werribee contact on Saturday and he was astounded at Vardy, a class above but thinks KPF should be his go, pods def a chance to play back at stages this year.
Mitch Brown, doesn't think he will make it at the cats.
George Burbury, absolute freak, thinks he will make it.
Josh Hunt still a fair way off, lacking match conditioning but another who is a class above.

If it was the one where he was on 98 to start the game then it was 93 (he kicked 8 that day) and it was at the 'G.

man! Speaking of Gazza, I'm about to get his final ever game in the VFL against Richmond way back in 1997.
It's not the full game though but apparently he kicked 7.7 in only 3 quarters of footy and never played again.
Did he do his knee, medial?

Went to Victoria Park once as a little kid with my Collingwood-supporting uncle for their last ever game there in 99 against Brisbane. Freaked me out to say the least, the place resembled more of an asylum than a football ground.

Victoria Park -had a great atmosphere though-went to a few games there -can remember a game their in the early 1980s -Glen Middlemiss( who had some ability but suffered from white line fever ) was playing full forward -and grabbed the ball -and in the same motion hit Ronnie Wearmouth with an an elbow flush on the chin -umpire Robinson rushed in with his whistle in his mouth -and the Collingwood supporters went nuts

Some of those suburban grounds -the atmospere was sensational

The Bombers seemingly have a clear edge in the ruck, but then again our low-key duo have been pretty gallant so far in 2013 and I can't see them lowering their colours too badly to be honest, they will compete hard as ever.

Makes the job that extra bit harder for our mids considering Essendon have an edge in the ruck. Selwood, Bartel, and co are going to have to work hard around the stoppages/ruck contests to stop Bellchambers, Hille, and Ryder hitting the ball out to the advantage of their teammates.

Of course that doesn't mean West and Blicavs don't have a big task to tackle, they will have to work as hard as anyone to help us win the clearances and stoppages. Will go a very long way in determining whether we emerge victorious or not.

Round 20 1994
Sat 6 August princes park
Cats 10.18.78
Roos 11.11.77
:thumbsu:

Off topic, yes I know...sorry

Back to the bombers I remember ablett put on an absolute clinic in the rain, 95 at the G
Lost in 94 again at the G, think we were overrun that day but I recall sitting in the back row level 4 southern stand (near those round windows) remember vividly because I was fighting off vertigo and got my trusty cats scarf that day... Still going strong all these years later!

Alright now I'm done... Just remember all the bombers games because my family are all red and black to the bone.

Was 94 :D
I was wrong apparently on the 93 game aswell, he kicked 10.6.

Round: 18 Venue: M.C.G. Date: Sat, 31-Jul-1993 2:00 PM Attendance: 34439
North Melbourne 0.2.2 3.5.23 7.10.52 10.12.72
Geelong 6.6.42 13.8.86 18.13.121 25.16.166
GE by 40 GE by 63 GE by 69 GE by 94

Second fastest 100 goals in a season ever!

Round: 18 Venue: M.C.G. Date: Sat, 31-Jul-1993 2:00 PM Attendance: 34439
North Melbourne 0.2.2 3.5.23 7.10.52 10.12.72
Geelong 6.6.42 13.8.86 18.13.121 25.16.166
GE by 40 GE by 63 GE by 69 GE by 94

Second fastest 100 goals in a season ever!

If he didnt miss so much footy he would have cracked 150 in 93 no doubt.
He got what 124? And missed half a dozen games or more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back