Preview AFL Round 7 - Geelong v Essendon, Etihad Stadium, 7:50PM Friday 10 May

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only watched the 2nd half, so apologies if this doesn't hold true for the 1st, but he looked a little lethargic to me for much of the game and didn't really do much that screamed "pick me in the seniors next week!". Needs to contest more against bigger forwards and is better suited to playing at the opposite end of the ground. Also doesn't look at home sometimes in D50.

On another note it would be nice to see Thurlow and Kersten make their debuts sometime soon.

OK, thanks.

That's okay FredLeDeux. :thumbsu:

He just never really stood out last week and did little to suggest to me that we must pick him in the seniors. Had a fairly quiet, run-of-the-mill game from what I saw.

Cheers. He just never really stood out last week and did little to suggest to me that we must pick him in the seniors. Had a fairly quiet, run-of-the-mill game from what I saw.

Yep, everyone says more or less the same or worse about the last 3 games.
He may be doing a Gillies to himself right now, being in the wrong form when the opportunity opens up.

Why do we have to go tall just because they field a tall side. I'd rather have a balanced side and try and run them off their feet. Surely we have enough tall timber currently in the side to counter most of their attacking options even if that means that Mackie has to play on a taller component.

At our best it probably doesn't matter but since we have been a bit up and down it could leave us exposed IMO. If we turn the ball over like we have been doing, their talls will be taking marks everywhere. If we play really well and keep pressure on them then our defence should hold up ok if we stay smaller. But it seemed to me that Mackie playing on McGuane on Sat seemed to limit his offensive side and creativity a bit. He's been a weapon going forward this year and I wouldn't want him to have to stick to his opponent like glue for the whole night. Maybe it was just a sub-par performance though.Plus I like to think if we go with the extra tall that our talls can do a better job than theirs. It frees up Taylor to go forward more too. But if Chappy also comes in thats 2 spots we need and only Murdoch seems to be the logical one to make way at this point.

At our house we call Duncan "Donuts"....
I also coined the nickname "Ballroom" for Blicavs ie Ballroom Blitz
OK, I'll bite - why Donuts?

And both 'Ballroom' for his footwork and 'Blitz' for his pace are fantastic! It's fun when nicknames, euphemisms and neologisms take off Witsend, isn't it? If I may blow my trumpet, I coined "Kittens" years ago and it's catching on lol Another is 'refreshed' for tipsy and 'over-refreshed' for smashed ;)

Why is THunt called Poodle?

And both 'Ballroom' for his footwork and 'Blitz' for his pace are fantastic! It's fun when nicknames, euphemisms and neologisms take off Witsend, isn't it? If I may blow my trumpet, I coined "Kittens" years ago and it's catching on lol Another is 'refreshed' for tipsy and 'over-refreshed' for smashed ;)

I'm guessing donuts as in USA chain dunkin (Duncan) donuts

We call Bilcavs 'the steeplechaser' or steep!

I do think we could do with an extra tall. Brown is probably the only option as Kersten, Vardy, etc haven't had enough game time yet. His form against North was ok, the problem was further up the ground IMO. It made Loners look silly against Petrie as well, but you can't fault the defenders for that. Actually I think our defenders have been keeping us in a few of the games early on, that and individual brilliance like Stokes 2nd quarter goal. Maybe Brown up forward and Pods in defence this week.

I think Kersten has been more impressive than Brown in the VFL, so that's the way I'd go if we need an extra tall to come in.

Bartel and Wojo came up with it-they owned a dog together and they reckon it had hair that looked like Taylor's, so he became "Poodle".

I think Kersten has been more impressive than Brown in the VFL, so that's the way I'd go if we need an extra tall to come in.
Maybe, but where will Kersten play, and IF FORWARD, wouldn't Brown be deserving of a chance there again? We ALL seem to feel MB will not be a KB, but he could be a good floating forward.

Bartel and Wojo came up with it-they owned a dog together and they reckon it had hair that looked like Taylor's, so he became "Poodle".

How could Bartel and Wojo own a dog together? Were they housemates? Or was it a racing dog? :confused: This baffles me lol If it had hair like THunt and he is called Poodle, it must have been a poodle, no? So now we have StevieJ with poodles too? I'm beginning to get anxious about our beefy Boy Cats with so many poodles? :p Perhaps it's just a Sydney thing but here Poodle = hairdresser = gay ??? ;) Does that translate somehow? I'm more into imagining our Boy Cats with Staffies, German Shepherds, Bulldogs, Labradors, Boxers, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Border Collies, Malamutes etc. Don't get me wrong, I adore Poodles, but just don't see our Geelong super heroes with toy dogs :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope you blokes thump the living daylights out of them on the scoreboard and send them into an uncontrollable spiral for the remainder of the year.

Not sure if the Cats by 49+ option is points or goals, but I'm going that one!

(Good luck for Friday :thumbsu:)

How could Bartel and Wojo own a dog together? Were they housemates? Or was it a racing dog? :confused: This baffles me lol If it had hair like THunt and he is called Poodle, it must have been a poodle, no? So now we have StevieJ with poodles too? I'm beginning to get anxious about our beefy Boy Cats with so many poodles? :p Perhaps it's just a Sydney thing but here Poodle = hairdresser = gay ??? ;) Does that translate somehow? I'm more into imagining our Boy Cats with Staffies, German Shepherds, Bulldogs, Labradors, Boxers, Rottweilers, Dobermans, Border Collies, Malamutes etc. Don't get me wrong, I adore Poodles, but just don't see our Geelong super heroes with toy dogs :eek:
I heard Dog talk about his poodles, unashamedly. We sadly had one stolen from our front yard, in outer east Melbourne, not Geelong, so it was weird listening to him in a way. Middle daughter is still distressed by that loss.
Anyway, Dog is really proud of his TH's.
We now have a WHIPPET. Less likely to be stolen, lower maintenance. Notice you didn't rate the Whippets in your list??

I hope you blokes thump the living daylights out of them on the scoreboard and send them into an uncontrollable spiral for the remainder of the year.

Not sure if the Cats by 49+ option is points or goals, but I'm going that one!

(Good luck for Friday :thumbsu:)

We're going to beat them by just enough to (a) convince them that we've got their measure, but (b) leave them thinking they can still beat you and everyone else!:D

I think it was a racing dog-greyhound or similar.

In hair-splitting news, I thought SJ was known as Dogga, rather than Dog.

I remember this from a game in which Harley was special comments guy.
Selwood went down (concussed-ish) and was calling out to SJ to take charge. Harley pointed out that Selwood was calling out "Dogga" as he lay on the ground.

SJ immediately started marshalling the troops which showed, once again, what great leadership we have in those two guys (and the others of course)

I heard Dog talk about his poodles, unashamedly. We sadly had one stolen from our front yard, in outer east Melbourne, not Geelong, so it was weird listening to him in a way. Middle daughter is still distressed by that loss.
Anyway, Dog is really proud of his TH's.
We now have a WHIPPET. Less likely to be stolen, lower maintenance. Notice you didn't rate the Whippets in your list??

Oh Veedubs that is just so horrible, I'm so sorry, can't imagine what you all must have gone/still going through. I'm just mortified to think of a pet being stolen.
After posting my comments, I did think that our Boyz liking smaller dogs is incredibly charming, it means that while they're hard, tough brutes on the footy field, they are lovely and kind off the field. It made them even more endearing.
Whippets are an absolute fave! Adore them Veedubs! Whippets are the Burmese Cat of the Dog World and Burmese Cats are the Whippet of the Cat World - I have two Burmese - one blue/cream tortoiseshell and the other lilac/cream tortoiseshell - they are Geelong Club colours lol

In hair-splitting news, I thought SJ was known as Dogga, rather than Dog.

I remember this from a game in which Harley was special comments guy.
Selwood went down (concussed-ish) and was calling out to SJ to take charge. Harley pointed out that Selwood was calling out "Dogga" as he lay on the ground.

SJ immediately started marshalling the troops which showed, once again, what great leadership we have in those two guys (and the others of course)

Clue....​

StevenDogJohnson_zpscf6077b6.jpg

I don't understand why some of you are now asking for Brown to get a game?
If he didn't get picked against mediocre teams like Carlton, Western Bulldogs or Richmond, then why is he going to play against the no.1 ranked team?

I posted a video on his last game against North Melbourne, he got beaten a few times in a similar manor to Guthrie on the weekend, was certainly not poor by any means but I have no clue what the go is with him now, I suspect his papers are stamped and that's it but I don't see how he'd get picked this week given his VFL form wasn't outstanding either.
Fair enough, but I said I would love to see him get selected and play a blinder - not to get selected and play as though blind-folded ;)

Seriously though, it is just the Bomber's height in attack and our issues with Rivers than led me to think we may need another tall option down back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back