Review AFL Round 8-Geelong defeats Carlton by 77 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't worry at all if he loves a bit of manboob on the side or even as his main dish! It would go some way as to explaining why he is such a good tackler... grrr.
tiger-smiley-emoticon.gif
OMG!!! Strangled Cat :eek: Now look what you've unleashed! ;)
Boobsie you are an absolute hoot! Just be gentle with Gregson :p

Murdoch!!! I hope there'll be some people on here as humble about their Murdoch bashing as I was earlier in the year about my Blitz bashing.
See that's why I don't bag players, then I dodn't need to be humble :p

Some of our football has better than last year. I think we are building towards something for the long term, whereas last year I didn't feel that. We were going sideways, somehow holding the fort before the invevitable fall.

This team feels different. The emergence of Blicavs has been huge.

Not a top 4 finish, maybe not a top 8 finish, but at least I feel this is a new team doing it their own way and not a team clinging onto past glories with some heroic wins.

Stanley and Clark have been a big part of it. Stanley is a better player than Clark though.

Agree. We are winning games but look has little to do with it…

Bartel, Kelly, SJ, Stokes, Mackie.

We are still getting plenty from Domsy, Riv, Boris.

but they are getting plenty of support from Thurlow, Bews, Duncan :)(), Blitz, Stanley, Lang, Gregson, Caddy.

It is building - and we are doing it today from 10th.

GO Catters

Most players would change their jumpers at half time anyway... if you're a bit cold why not sit around around in long sleeve anyway...

Because he did it for three games in a row (from memory, from Round 2 onwards), exactly the same way (sleeveless until half time/long sleeve after half time), which would suggest some sort of superstition, rather than him feeling cold. Especially since it might make some sense to do it the other way round and wear long sleeves to start the game then change to sleeveless once you've warmed up: not to run around in the midfield for an hour, clocking up 8km or so, then think during a 20 minute break 'I'm feeling cold' and chuck on the long sleeves.

Though, of course, the Round 2 game against Fremantle, was a chilly 18.9° and Round 3 and 4 against Gold Coast and North, where it was a positively frigid 15.0° and 15.9° respectively.

Because he did it for three games in a row (from memory, from Round 2 onwards), exactly the same way (sleeveless until half time/long sleeve after half time), which would suggest some sort of superstition, rather than him feeling cold. Especially since it might make some sense to do it the other way round and wear long sleeves to start the game then change to sleeveless once you've warmed up: not to run around in the midfield for an hour, clocking up 8km or so, then think during a 20 minute break 'I'm feeling cold' and chuck on the long sleeves.

Though, of course, the Round 2 game against Fremantle, was a chilly 18.9° and Round 3 and 4 against Gold Coast and North, where it was a positively frigid 15.0° and 15.9° respectively.

Might be an idea to quit while you're behind mate. ;)

Murdoch!!! I hope there'll be some people on here as humble about their Murdoch bashing as I was earlier in the year about my Blitz bashing.

Depends what you mean by 'bashing'. When he was terrible - and he has been - he gets criticised. There's nothing wrong with that. Friday night was the best game he's played at senior level easily. So he deserves tons of praise for that game. Quite rightly.

Hopefully it's the turning of a gradual corner for him. But he's so much more dangerous near goal.

The only one the Board has got right this year is that Duncan should move back to the middle after his shockers in defence. But that one wasn't hard. Some posters will claim they got Blicavs right but none of us suggested he should be played in the position he is currently playing. It was all defence or keeping his second ruck role.

I was actually calling for this just before the start of the season, and a few people were open to the idea, so your comment isn't quite accurate.

I also think that Scott and Geelong will reinvent the game in one aspect.

Everyone is raving about the performances of Stanley and Blicavs in the ruck, and how their mobility has helped lift our clearances.

Well, I tip that, if we have success with using two athletic ruckmen, other teams will do what other teams always do and follow the leader. Soon, the big burly ruckman will be the thing of the past, and only aathletic ruckmen, who can play a variety of spots (Like Stanley and Blicavs) will be drafted.

Look how we took apart Robert Warnock on Friday night. A big burly one-position ruckman was beaten by speedier versatile ruckmen. The new ruck rules also take away the "body-on-body" advantage that the big burly guys had.

The only hope big burlies might have in the future is as key position forwards and backs (where body strength still counts) who can then pinch-hit in the ruck, like we have with Mitch Clark. Guys who are ruckman, and nothing else, and who can't run, will become extinct, and Geelong will be credited the face of rucking in the future.

This post suggests some kind of consensus is reached on the this board; I don't think that's ever been the case, about anything!

The closest anyone got to predicting Blicavs' current role is the poster who floated the idea of Walker as a tagger!

Not sure that was me too, or if I just agreed with someone else who suggested it. I definitely talked about blitz being used as a midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might be an idea to maintain as dignified a silence as you can muster, if you've got absolutely nothing to add.

Something to add, not really, think the riveting subject of Guthrie's jumper, boots and the temperatures on various days has been well and truly exhausted by your good self in numerous lengthy posts without me adding to it. :)

Something to add, not really, think the riveting subject of Guthrie's jumper, boots and the temperatures on various days has been well and truly exhausted by your good self in numerous lengthy posts without me adding to it. :)

And you decide to show how much you don't care, by continuing the discussion, not adding to it, mind you, but by coming in a day and a half after the original point was brought up, to stick the boots in to someone with a different opinion? I personally find such posting a bit undignified, but the good news for you is that's an effective way to find plenty of mates and get a truckload of likes on here.

o_O I must have missed Turbo's post, but I think I have pretty good gaydar, Gregson doesn't seem gay to me, upon reflection. However, it's not really usual for me to think about anyone's sexual preference, all that matters is we are all Geelong Cats. But if someone is of the Poos+Wees persuasion they're cut dead! ;)
Although, with you addressing Turbocat + tagging manboob + Catatonic Shock is there something we should know about your intentions towards young Gregson? :p :D Just let him focus on his footy FFS! :D

And you decide to show how much you don't care, by continuing the discussion, not adding to it, mind you, but by coming in a day and a half after the original point was brought up, to stick the boots in to someone with a different opinion? I personally find such posting a bit undignified, but the good news for you is that's an effective way to find plenty of mates and get a truckload of likes on here.

Just a few points before I leave the last word to you, (1) wasn't a case of sticking the boots in, just a light hearted comment about what appeared a totally pointless and bizarre subject, sorry if it caused so much offence (2) attracting mates or getting truckloads of likes was the furthest thing from my mind, and (3) stop taking yourself so bloody seriously.

:)

Geelong Bigfooty Board has been pretty ordinary in its calls this year:

- Can't understand why Murdoch is playing- well it turns out the coaching staff knew what they doing.
- Johnson is done and must be dropped - 3 weeks and 70 possies and 5 goals later???
- Guthrie must go back to defence - Coaches listen, form falls away massively, and now comes back to the middle and back in form.
Walker is going to be a gun and will walk if he doesn't get a game. Yet comes in and his form has been very underwhelming. He just aint that good.
Caddy is hack one week who must be dropped- next week great game. Caddy has finally turned the corner and is looking like a star going forward - next week 12 touches and so on and so on.

The only one the Board has got right this year is that Duncan should move back to the middle after his shockers in defence. But that one wasn't hard. Some posters will claim they got Blicavs right but none of us suggested he should be played in the position he is currently playing. It was all defence or keeping his second ruck role.
Not so much a case of the GFC Bigfooty Board making calls so much as the squeaky wheels making the most noise. I think most posters have been pretty calm, just those calling for revolution have been a bit more outspoken.

Just a few points before I leave the last word to you, (1) wasn't a case of sticking the boots in, just a light hearted comment about what appeared a totally pointless and bizarre subject, sorry if it caused so much offence (2) attracting mates or getting truckloads of likes was the furthest thing from my mind, and (3) stop taking yourself so bloody seriously.

:)

Two sentences out of four paragraphs and semi-related to a somewhat unusual incident that happened after the game on Friday. Probably would have got a better reception with a gif, or more smiley faces. A broader commentary on how players can leave themselves open to criticism when the team is struggling and they're spending time focusing on cosmetic changes.

It's just a good thing that there weren't any other pointless/bizarre posts in the thread. Your debut ("quit while you're behind mate") and entire contribution to this thread (to date, zero mention of anything that occurred during the game), for example, has been nothing short of sensational.

I also think that Scott and Geelong will reinvent the game in one aspect.

Everyone is raving about the performances of Stanley and Blicavs in the ruck, and how their mobility has helped lift our clearances.

Well, I tip that, if we have success with using two athletic ruckmen, other teams will do what other teams always do and follow the leader. Soon, the big burly ruckman will be the thing of the past, and only aathletic ruckmen, who can play a variety of spots (Like Stanley and Blicavs) will be drafted.

Look how we took apart Robert Warnock on Friday night. A big burly one-position ruckman was beaten by speedier versatile ruckmen. The new ruck rules also take away the "body-on-body" advantage that the big burly guys had.

The only hope big burlies might have in the future is as key position forwards and backs (where body strength still counts) who can then pinch-hit in the ruck, like we have with Mitch Clark. Guys who are ruckman, and nothing else, and who can't run, will become extinct, and Geelong will be credited the face of rucking in the future.

Having been to another Cats game on a mate's spare ticket, I have to say that I'm sure other teams will want to follow the leader with Blicavs and Stanley.

There is a problem with that, though.

Where on earth are any other clubs going to find two guys who are 200+cm, can run like the wind, tackle, win clearances like Stanley and pinch hit as a tagger, as Blics does?

There aren't too many of them around...

Wouldn't mind a pair like that coming to the Doggies some time in the near future!

Solid performance without being amazing! Promising signs with the 2nd tier taking the game on and taking the initiative to grab the game by the scruff of the neck as well. 4 quarter performance which is always a positive. A much needed percentage boost. I have a more in depth review here if anyone's interested . Some feedback on it as well would be terrific! Go Cats!

Yep F**k em.
On TV last night they were showing highlights of the GF they cheated us out of when they were way over the cap.
All their success has been bought.

Worst fans by far. Their idea of barracking is sticking their fingers up and yelling "OMG That's Bullshit" for two hours.
Happy when anyone flogs em, even Hawthorn.
agree with all but the Hawthorn bit, Spazz ;)

I heard Rohan Connolly on SEN a few hours ago giving an unnamed player a clip for giving him the bird during the singing of the team song and then a thirty second death stare after said player was apparently unhappy with an article Connolly wrote during the week about said player who has been struggling this year. Other clues that Connolly gave were that this player came from a team that was pushing for top 4, that he included some lines from player's coach in the article and that the player took it the wrong way because he was actually trying to encourage the player.

After a quick search of Connolly's recent articles I feel this one fits the bill:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ve-johnson-to-star-again-20150521-gh6rj3.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back