Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I joined in 2007. Here are my waitlist numbers over the last 4 years:

2012 - 6224
2013 - 4586
2014 - 3434
2015 - 1227

Should be a full member next year (fingers crossed).

joined vfl waverly in 87 expecting the gf to be played there. Then GSS got built and was given full membership in 92. Membership started to fill up once Waverley was gone and Vic Park and Windy Hill were no longer used
Why's that? Was there a redevelopment of the MCG in the late 80s?

Anyway, thanks for all the replies comrades. I love all the memories I've accumulated while having my membership. There isn't an item that sums up my life in Melbs more than that... maybe my ID and the stairs at Rats...

Why's that? Was there a redevelopment of the MCG in the late 80s?

Anyway, thanks for all the replies comrades. I love all the memories I've accumulated while having my membership. There isn't an item that sums up my life in Melbs more than that... maybe my ID and the stairs at Rats...

Great Southern Stand was completed in 1992. The AFL paid for a lot of it in Return for their own section - which is the AFL members.

Anyone ever done the numbers for what proportion of both a Club Membership and AFL Club Support Membership contribute respectively to a club?

The accepted wisdom of course is that Club Membership contributes humongsly more to club coffers than AFL Club Support. But once you take out staging costs for a game out of each membership, how much 'really' goes to the club in nett terms?

Joined in Jan 2008.
My 2015 renewal waitlist is 2800 or thereabouts. Not sure what my 2014 number was.

Another thought, I wonder how many of those who got free AFL membership's from Foxtel/Fox Footy kept them on? This would skew the new waitlist times heaps I would think.

Anyone ever done the numbers for what proportion of both a Club Membership and AFL Club Support Membership contribute respectively to a club?

The accepted wisdom of course is that Club Membership contributes humongsly more to club coffers than AFL Club Support. But once you take out staging costs for a game out of each membership, how much 'really' goes to the club in nett terms?

You could probably do a simple calculation from the information in most club's financials. Take membership income, reduce it by AFL member club support contributions, reduce by membership expenses and divide by number of members (less AFL members). There's your revenue per member. How does it compare to the amount contributed by an AFL member with club support?

Doesn't take into account the type of member though. Obviously the premium member with a reserved seat would contribute a lot more than a kids membership or 1/2 gamer, which probably costs more to process than the revenue it brings in.

I joined after 2007 season. Have 5 memberships (whole family).
Last year at this time I was 5942 on the waiting list.
Got my renewal the other day and have moved to: 3599
Wife is: 3600 Oldest Child: 3601 then other 2 are: 3686 & 3687
Do not know why the other 2 are 80 spots behind us as I lodged all memberships at the same time.
That's a movement of about 2,300 places.
Will probably get full membership in 2 years.
Making my wait around 9 years.
I don't know how some people her claim to have mover close to 4,000 spots.

Last edited:
You could probably do a simple calculation from the information in most club's financials. Take membership income, reduce it by AFL member club support contributions, reduce by membership expenses and divide by number of members (less AFL members). There's your revenue per member. How does it compare to the amount contributed by an AFL member with club support?

Doesn't take into account the type of member though. Obviously the premium member with a reserved seat would contribute a lot more than a kids membership or 1/2 gamer, which probably costs more to process than the revenue it brings in.
I think the afl pay about $140 per membership for the club support packages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There seems to be some skewed numbers on here, can't believe that they're all correct. I joined at the end of 2007 and my number is 4904 so probably three years away still which would make it a decade on the wait list. I'm not too fussed when I get it either, the only difference is Prelim & Grand Final access. Sure, it'd be nice to have the option to attend the GF but I won't lose any sleep over it. If my team makes it I'm guaranteed access via the club membership anyway. just out of interest, what's the annual price difference between silver and full membership?

Wow that's high. Perhaps it was how much the club made from a standard membership then, I'm sure the $90 figure was what was quoted to me from the arm membership department.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Our membership department told me that for my concession membership the AFL paid them $84 for 2014. So that is the discount I get from the Hawks for my reserved seat upgrade. Not sure what the Adult figure is, I remember reading it was $120 several years ago but this info is hard to come by.

I just checked my email again and you're right, it's $140 for adult and the $90 was for concession which I was at the time I asked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No problem. I remember years ago( am a AFL member for about 30 years) when it started how much goes to the clubs and that figure($130) was about the same as normal club 11 game membership, but it hasn't been raised in line with increase costs.

No problem. I remember years ago( am a AFL member for about 30 years) when it started how much goes to the clubs and that figure($130) was about the same as normal club 11 game membership, but it hasn't been raised in line with increase costs.

I could've sworn back in the 90's it was a standard fee for the AFL, and then whatever club membership cost on top of that.

I swear I remember getting the renewal form and it had different rates depending on which club support you chose. Or maybe that was because of teams that played more regularly at the suburban grounds?

I also remember at G, if it was your teams home game you had to enter through a different gate (to the left of gate 8 which is now gate 6)

I could've sworn back in the 90's it was a standard fee for the AFL, and then whatever club membership cost on top of that.

I swear I remember getting the renewal form and it had different rates depending on which club support you chose. Or maybe that was because of teams that played more regularly at the suburban grounds?

I also remember at G, if it was your teams home game you had to enter through a different gate (to the left of gate 8 which is now gate 6)
I can only go on what I've experienced. My AFL renewal was always just 1 figure( and I was a foundation AFL member from VFL member) and never differentiated other costs. You do get renewal forms from the clubs directly but you ignore these. Yes originally you had to enter via the AFL member area then go thru the gate into the out with a pass out you never used. If it is expected to be a 50k crowd you couldn't do this( and still cant). They did change it tho, if your a home team member you could enter via a AFL home team member gate directly into the outer which made it easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back