AFL Team Manager Rules - OLD

Remove this Banner Ad

We've had a few issues this year with key spots not being filled by KPPs. While I may have missed a few that were caused by dodgy selections, in most cases it's been because that team didn't have any of that sort of player available, so I'm thinking of adding some rules about list makeup along the lines of:
3 regular AFL forwards - qualification 5 games in 2015 with average 2 scoring shots per game (62 players qualify)
3 regular AFL defenders - qualification 5 games in 2015 with average 4 one percenters per game (62 players qualify)
2 regular AFL ruckmen - qualification 5 games in 2015 with average 5 hitouts per game (44 players qualify)
And you could apply for others to qualify based on injury, a bad year, or time spent playing some other position hurting the average and/or game count

Other rule changes I'm considering:
Remove the PSD from bidding
Axe father/son
Counting an invalid bid as one of the 3 you're allowed on an opposition player
Moving the PSD to the pre-season
Forcing payouts for players who delisted players who still have multiple years on their TM contracts

Discuss. You can also propose any other rule changes you'd like to see.

I'm very busy with work for the next month - I'll do what I can but it might be a later start to the off season than usual.

All good with those, can I add upgrading a rookie using a draft spot and it counts as a live selection (i.e if you have 4 draft selections he will be 4th DP, 3 - 3rd and so on and he gets the corresponding salary to go with it).

Forcing payouts for players who delisted players who still have multiple years on their TM contracts - hopefully no retrospectively on this one !

Yep, I'm a fan of using the prospectus for our KPP classification. Easy and impartial.
And perhaps have a thread where managers can request a positional addition during the season. Josh Bruce started as a KPD, but you'd have a difficult time arguing he's still a KPD now.

I used to run a league where we would debate position at the draft. As we drafted face to face it was very easy, and majority took rule. I guess what I'm suggesting is a similar setup here...

On another long term SC game it's done on SC positioning and prespectus.
It removes any doubt over who can play where, but it's based purely on historical data and doesn't allow any flexibility when players take new roles in the current season.
In this game I've generally tried to follow DT positioning and blended it with actual AFL team sheets to reflect new roles

I like the rule. However, this doesn't mean it can only be KPP. By this definition I could have Eddie Betts at CHF an Mark Baguley at FB. Wouldn't it be better to also include a height qualification? Then for the short players who do play key position, you could still apply for them?
The rule is more about having at least some forwards to fill forward spots instead of using midfielders and HBFs who played there once than it is about tall/small structure, but if there's a number of talls people want to see I'm happy to look at that sort of rule too

Given that we use AFL's Dreamteam stats, why not just use the Dreamteam classifications to determine KPP players.
Yep, I'm a fan of using the prospectus for our KPP classification. Easy and impartial.
Problems I have with this
1) We only have an average of 22 players each to pick from each week, and we don't have week-to-week trades like Dreamteam to fill holes.
2) Those things usually aren't available until February.
3) Specifying positions will either result in more teams playing short, which may be through poor management or bad luck. If we allow teams who are short to break the position rule, then that's potentially advantaging poor managers over good managers who have the depth.
4) Week-to-week enforcement is going to be painful.

All good with those, can I add upgrading a rookie using a draft spot and it counts as a live selection (i.e if you have 4 draft selections he will be 4th DP, 3 - 3rd and so on and he gets the corresponding salary to go with it).
What are you trying to achieve with this one? Reducing the number of picks you have to take or getting rookie promotions cheaper?

Forcing payouts for players who delisted players who still have multiple years on their TM contracts - hopefully no retrospectively on this one !
Probably will start that next year so it will impact contacts offered this year

What are you trying to achieve with this one? Reducing the number of picks you have to take or getting rookie promotions cheaper?

I was thinking the number of picks you have to take and did not consider the $ aspect, but I think it should be some reward for taking a punt/investing in rookie picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

List Makeup

List Size

Senior list
Exactly 40
Up to 4 players on this list can be classified as veterans. These players must be turning 28 or older during the year of that season, and have completed 5 years on the list (or all years for Wagga and Launceston). Payments for these players will be free for the first player, 1% of the cap for the second player, 2% of the cap for the third player and 4% for the fourth player. Veterans cannot be unveteranised, they remain veterans until they are delisted or traded.

This is the part which answers both of your questions btw.

That time of year to talk about rule changes. Off season thread might go up in around 2 weeks so if you want to suggest any changes make sure it's in long enough before that for people to discuss it.

Probably will drop back to 16 teams since we've struggled to fill the last couple of spots for a few years now. Haven't worked out the details of that yet, feel free to make suggestions.

16 teams sounds brilliant tbh

Too many teams come up short on players any given week

Rule change, yet again, that you can use excess salary cap space to front end a contract or 2 at the end of the off season

16 teams sounds OK to me but because of that are we also increasing list sizes and or salary caps for each team? If not do we need to introduce some sort of amnesty for teams to reflect the new player pool and allow movement? How will the cut team's players be allocated to teams? Through the draft or some other method?

I don't mind the idea behind the stopper, goalkicker and tapper categories that were introduced last season but I think it needs a bit of tweaking. Since midfielders in the modern AFL pretty much play all over the ground (and almost everyone gets a run through the midfield at some point too) I would rather see it reflect key position players (ie tall defender, forward and ruckman). I also wouldn't limit or have a minimum amount of these players on your list but instead direct each team to select 2 KPD, 2 KPF and 1 ruckman categorised player each game. Then apply a penalty on game day scores (eg. 10% reduced overall team score) for each player under the required selection (ie 10% penalty if 1 of those players aren't selected on gameday, 20% if 2 players aren't selected and so on). Not sure how you categorise players in each position but that's the sort of rule tweak I'd be looking at.

Last edited:
100% agree about bringing it back to 16 teams.

I do also like the idea of having rules on naming certain KPP in your weekly team. But no number restrictions on your list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back