AFL Women's League

Remove this Banner Ad

2015 Western Bulldogs football Jessica Wuetschner talks about the challenges faced by 'elite' female footballers prior to the new national league.

http://www.[NB: girlsplayfooty doma.../the-challenges-elite-female-footballers.html

It appears the AFL have gone into this 1/2 cocked.

They obviously have just so carried away by the Ladies BBL. Ladies cricket has been going on at state & International level for decades.

I can see they've gotten all excited about the Ladies, but why not work more on helping the current state based leagues to grow before jumping into an expensive national exercise.

The Ladies A-League is driven by the international game. But honestly its not worth watching. Nor do they get spectator support to any degree.

Netball again is a well established & supported at the national club level. Trying to copy that is simply fraught.

It appears the AFL have gone into this 1/2 cocked.

They obviously have just so carried away by the Ladies BBL. Ladies cricket has been going on at state & International level for decades.

I can see they've gotten all excited about the Ladies, but why not work more on helping the current state based leagues to grow before jumping into an expensive national exercise.

The Ladies A-League is driven by the international game. But honestly its not worth watching. Nor do they get spectator support to any degree.

Netball again is a well established & supported at the national club level. Trying to copy that is simply fraught.

They're setting up a national comp in order to promote/encourage the lower levels rather than because the demand/quality is currently there...The 'build it and they will come' strategy.

That doesn't make it a bad reason, it just needs to be recognised as such.

There was an article today in the West on the Vixens basketball team. They were taken over by the wildcats, and moved to being full time professional basketballers. All players get at least the minimum wage the men get in their position. The first professional women's team, with the same obligations on them as the men's team. Bendat admitted to now being more sympathetic to the problems facing women's sport, and that it only happened because he has deep pockets.

They are looking for growing awareness and support to get them to a commercially sustainable point in 2018.

The 2 extreme views are that either the AFL are under some sort of moral obligation for something close to full professionalism from the start, or that women should be so grateful for a national league, they should be happy to play for nothing.

It must and will sit somewhere in the middle. Part of the delay is the complex issue the AFL faces in making the league attractive to play given the sacrifices that will be required, and sustainable commercially.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

There was an article today in the West on the Vixens basketball team. They were taken over by the wildcats, and moved to being full time professional basketballers. All players get at least the minimum wage the men get in their position. The first professional women's team, with the same obligations on them as the men's team. Bendat admitted to now being more sympathetic to the problems facing women's sport, and that it only happened because he has deep pockets.

They are looking for growing awareness and support to get them to a commercially sustainable point in 2018.

The 2 extreme views are that either the AFL are under some sort of moral obligation for something close to full professionalism from the start, or that women should be so grateful for a national league, they should be happy to play for nothing.

It must and will sit somewhere in the middle. Part of the delay is the complex issue the AFL faces in making the league attractive to play given the sacrifices that will be required, and sustainable commercially.

By Vixens, I of course meant Lynx

It's a case of the AFL half-initiating it, half being swept up by the momentum before and since.

It will happen now, that much is certain. A few will be disappointed that the financial rewards will be meagre at the very start.

The idea at the moment appears to be a very short season so that the majority can continue playing with their state-based clubs.

We're talking approx a 13 week season from early Feb to end May.

Sounds like some players might be lucky to earn $20,000 for that effort, most will be half that or below, and others still will merely be reimbursed their costs.

Realistically, probably the very best they can hope for first season up.

Quite clearly, it also means you can't have a national draft because you can't move women across the country to earn extremely little money - or there will be a draft for those women who don't live near a team with a license, but who want to play, including perhaps those from overseas.

I have no problem with a womens league, good for them and setting it up as they are is probably sensible.
But I think the support for it will be very minimal after the honeymoon and will just become a cost centre for the AFL clubs.
The clubs that don't initially have a side will be the ones laughing here I reckon.
Its a great story though and thats how the AFL operate, around feel good stories.
Good luck to the ladies but I just can't see it getting the support from the paying public.

They're setting up a national comp in order to promote/encourage the lower levels rather than because the demand/quality is currently there...The 'build it and they will come' strategy.

That doesn't make it a bad reason, it just needs to be recognised as such.
It may be viewed that the state leagues lack the attractiveness to get the athletes required, at least quickly. Given that a fair amount of the growth over the last couple of years can be put down to the coming national league shows the strategy has some merit. I know of 3 players in the last exhibition game that said they came back to the sport for that reason, and the current trials have unearthed 100s more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's worth recalling that there are six to eight clubs who make a decent surplus each year, and with controls on football department spending, what are these clubs going to do with that money?

They may as well sink some of it into a womens team, rightfully earn the kudos that comes with that (of course, the dogs and dees aren't exactly in that category).

I have no problem with a womens league, good for them and setting it up as they are is probably sensible.
But I think the support for it will be very minimal after the honeymoon and will just become a cost centre for the AFL clubs.
The clubs that don't initially have a side will be the ones laughing here I reckon.
Its a great story though and thats how the AFL operate, around feel good stories.
Good luck to the ladies but I just can't see it getting the support from the paying public.
I think the clubs see some benefits here beyond the feel-good factor, that will be hard to quantify, and may not figure in a balance sheet.

An example may be, a potential sponsor wavering over issues of perceived 'cultural issues' and 'boys club'. The club is then able to role out a Daisy Pearce for a presentation on the need to break gender stereotypes to fight discrimination. Do a tour of the women's facilities, photo with the women's team. Sponsorship may go to the club, and not the female team, but the club may not get it without them.

There are huge opportunities that clever marketing could make use of, to drive sponsorship of the club overall.

You cannot really compare women's teams in other sports either, as these are sports with a far smaller reach, and far fewer ways to capitalise.

I think the clubs see some benefits here beyond the feel-good factor, that will be hard to quantify, and may not figure in a balance sheet.

An example may be, a potential sponsor wavering over issues of perceived 'cultural issues' and 'boys club'. The club is then able to role out a Daisy Pearce for a presentation on the need to break gender stereotypes to fight discrimination. Do a tour of the women's facilities, photo with the women's team. Sponsorship may go to the club, and not the female team, but the club may not get it without them.

There are huge opportunities that clever marketing could make use of, to drive sponsorship of the club overall.

You cannot really compare women's teams in other sports either, as these are sports with a far smaller reach, and far fewer ways to capitalise.

The examples you just gave mate are the feel good story they want, mate I wish them well I really do but I would not like it if in 5 years time just because they are part of our club our memberships and other costs have to go up just because of the costs of this long term.
Anyway its going ahead so we will wait and see. I dont' personally have any interest in it at all but I am sure some will and they will follow it.

Whatever they want to do, I hope they work it out soon. If they want to set 6-8 teams up from scratch to start in 2016 then they better decide exactly who they are and where they're getting their players from now. If they only give each club a few months to sort ot then it could easily be a complete shemozzle.

still too vague to count on. too much "could" not enough "will"

EIGHT women's teams aligned with AFL clubs could form the new women's national competition planned for 2017.

The AFL is considering running a national competition in February and March next year that includes four teams from Victoria and one each from Western Australia, South Australia, New South Wales and Queensland.

Such is the growth in interest in the game and apparent depth of talent the AFL is considering revising the initial concept of including six teams in the inaugural competition.

The initiative will follow on from 10 exhibition games in 2016 that will begin and end with games between Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs with teams representing Fremantle, West Coast, GWS Giants, the Sydney Swans, Northern Territory, Tasmania and South Australian All Stars teams participating.

Round one of this year's exhibition games will include players training in state academies while round two consists of state representative matches featuring the best players from around the country.

Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs are considered favourites to be given two of the four Victorian spots for the 2017 national competition, although the other eight Victorian clubs have staked a claim while competition remains fierce for spots potentially available in other states.

The competition could run for seven rounds and finals, with players drawn from around the country.

Whether the competition is aligned with the NAB Challenge played by the men and how a draft might operate remains to be determined but enthusiasm for the concept has the AFL buoyed.

Player payments would also need to be determined as the finer detail of the concept is realised
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-19/eight-womens-teams-set-for-national-comp

2016 Women's Matches

Round One

March 6 Melbourne v Western Bulldogs, Craigieburn

April 2 SANFL All Stars, Adelaide Oval

April 9 Sydney Swans v GWS Giants, SCG

April 9 West Coast v Fremantle, Domain Stadium, Perth

April 10 Northern Territory v Tasmania, St Kilda

April 16 Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast, Gabba

Round Two

May 22 Melbourne v Queensland, MCG

June 5 Western Bulldogs v Western Australia, Etihad Stadium

June 5 South Australia v NSW, Adelaide Oval

Round Three – Hampson-Hardeman Cup

September 3 Melbourne v Western Bulldogs (venue TBC)

The matches will be played across three rounds in Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney, Perth and Brisbane, with the first round designed for players training in state academies.

The second round will be dedicated to state representative matches, with the best footballers in the country taking part.

The Hampson-Hardeman Cup will be staged on the same weekend as the EJ Whitten Legends match, as the AFL trials with a new fixturing format.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/wom...6/news-story/d4b0a5099210d0ee9e202fc4d7d33d25

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/...to-expand-to-eight-teams-20160219-gmyiq2.html

With the Western Bulldogs and Melbourne virtually guaranteed to win licences, six other Victorian clubs are vying for the two remaining national teams. Only Hawthorn and North Melbourne appear unlikely to launch serious bid challenges.

Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong, Richmond and St Kilda are all awaiting details of the tendering process, which is expected to emerge after the March meeting of the AFL Commission. Forecast costings have estimated the start-up cost of each team at $500,000 with at least $100,000 of that to contribute to wages for the top players. Collingwood is seen as another favourite to win a licence.

McLachlan said there has been growing interest from potential new sponsors as the AFL also revealed the bold step of forming a foundation team based in Sydney despite the relative dearth of talent in that state. The Brisbane Lions look certain to win a Queensland licence, while Fremantle and West Coast are also launching rival bids.

In South Australia, the Crows and Port Adelaide are at loggerheads in their push to field the first women's team, with the two clubs unable to come to an agreement to stage an inaugural women's showdown this year. Instead Adelaide will compete against a SANFL All-Stars team at Adelaide Oval on April 2.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...e-paid-from-first-season-20160218-gmxwxi.html
http://www.[NB: girlsplayfooty doma...02/majority-of-afl-womens-league-players.html

Theres some people being faced with commercial realities of the womens comp and not liking it I suspect.

Yes the AFL had a big pay day. And not one cent is due to a womens competition of any description.

how long would you suggest it'll take the comp to break even ?

The competition’s structure is yet to be finalised, though the strong response to talent identification programs and success of State-based academies has prompted the AFL to issue eight club licenses, an increase on the originally proposed six.
- One club each from Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane and Sydney, with four based in Victoria
- National draft for the top 30-40 players, with other players to represent their local club
- The inaugural season to run over seven rounds, plus finals, in February-March next year so as not to interfere with existing State leagues
- Broadcast partners have already committed to televising some matches

how long would you suggest it'll take the comp to break even ?

Indirectly? Probably not too long considering the AFL would be getting more government development funding for women's sports and the PR benefits.

Directly...I'm not sure it ever will.

Indirectly? Probably not too long considering the AFL would be getting more government development funding for women's sports and the PR benefits.

Directly...I'm not sure it ever will.
Not sure it ever needs to either. As long as it doesn't drive huge losses, the AFL will wear modest losses indefinitely. Lots of things the AFL funds do not deliver immediate tangible returns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back