AFL Women's League

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem is that there's even less female talent in the NT. In the 2013 open nationals, they were humiliated by everyone (including a 132-2 defeat by the ACT). This year, The combined NT/Tas team in the women's youth championships came dead last (they didn't even kick a goal in the 7th v 8th game).

The SA clubs are doing the right thing if they want a team, but I doubt it will be enough. if WA and Queensland are only getting 1 team each then there's no possibility of SA fielding a competitive side.

What you say makes good sense - but if some form of govt development funding is going to pour in which essentially funds such a club, I can imagine they will look at it pretty seriously.

The problem is that there's even less female talent in the NT. In the 2013 open nationals, they were humiliated by everyone (including a 132-2 defeat by the ACT). This year, The combined NT/Tas team in the women's youth championships came dead last (they didn't even kick a goal in the 7th v 8th game).

The SA clubs are doing the right thing if they want a team, but I doubt it will be enough. if WA and Queensland are only getting 1 team each then there's no possibility of SA fielding a competitive side.
SA played a game against the NT this year and beat them easily, however there were a handful of players for the NT who would easily have been best 18 in a combined team. However, that is a modest improvement on a stand alone SA and will not be enough.

They may argue a couple of key players from elsewhere is all they need, not sure how they get them.

SA youth girls also seem to be on the improve, but that doesn't help them by 2017

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

SA played a game against the NT this year and beat them easily, however there were a handful of players for the NT who would easily have been best 18 in a combined team. However, that is a modest improvement on a stand alone SA and will not be enough.

They may argue a couple of key players from elsewhere is all they need, not sure how they get them.

SA youth girls also seem to be on the improve, but that doesn't help them by 2017

Did Erin Phillips play - IF Port have a team she will be there in 2017 - bit busy until then trying to add a Gold to her Olympic Silver.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erin_Phillips
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/port-adelaide/opals-star-erin-phillips-commits-to-port-adelaides-womens-team/news-story/048a82f525ae36abbc30cb246eb24f64
Grew up with a footy in her hands until forced to quit aged 13, her Dad was a handy footballer & Shane Burgoyne is her brother in law.

SA is too far behind Vic, WA and QLD. Maybe, their should aim for 2019/2021.

For me,

2017 3 Vic, 2 WA, 1 QLD 6 Team Comp

2019 1 Vic , 1 SA 8 Team Comp

2021 1 Vic, 1 QLD 10 Team Comp

2023 1 Vic, 1 NSW 12 Team Comp

12 Team Comp would be the idea with most states having a least one team.

Fremantle Hawthorn
West Coast Richmond
Adelaide Essendon
Brisbane Geelong
Gold Coast Collingwood
Sydney Carlton

SA is too far behind Vic, WA and QLD. Maybe, their should aim for 2019/2021.

For me,

2017 3 Vic, 2 WA, 1 QLD 6 Team Comp

2019 1 Vic , 1 SA 8 Team Comp

2021 1 Vic, 1 QLD 10 Team Comp

2023 1 Vic, 1 NSW 12 Team Comp

12 Team Comp would be the idea with most states having a least one team.

Fremantle Hawthorn
West Coast Richmond
Adelaide Essendon
Brisbane Geelong
Gold Coast Collingwood
Sydney Carlton
I rather like this idea. Seems rather viable although two of the vic teams you have mentioned would have to be switched out with the Bulldogs and Demons who should be getting starting spots in the competition (probably Essendon and Carlton who miss out).

Lady Sun in AFL Women's Talent Search
12182407_1060024760698327_4450522345721222136_o.jpg
Monday, January 14, 2016 - 24 year-old Katie Klatt will be heading to Sydney, Australia in February hoping to make history as the first American female in Australia’s inaugural women’s national league

Klatt, a registered nurse by profession, has been playing Aussie Rules for two years with the Sacramento Suns. Last year she was selected to play for the USA Freedom, the national women’s team, to play Canada in the 2015 49th Parallel Cup. In addition, she was selected as a Vice-Captain of the team.

http://sacfooty.webs.com/news2016.htm#961665454

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worth considering the WBBL final and its implications for womens footy.

Really interesting to see what ratings it gets, I think they will be pretty solid. Was a top trend on twitter for a while with a run through the comments being mostly positive.

What I find encouraging is that most comments related to the entertainment value and interest in the game, because in some subjective elements, notably the fielding, the quality was poor. However most people seem to be getting the idea that these players still have had a fraction of the training and high level experience men in a similar situation will have had, and it does show. Also, few of the players have ever played in that sort of spotlight and pressure level, which also showed. The idea that sloppy fielding by a women is not due to the fact she is a women, but is due to her being part time and poorly trained compared to a male player, and that the appropriate response is increased support also seems to be getting through.

Cricket requires this sort of competition to drive the growth in quality a top level comp needs. It will improve depth, training levels and quality quite quickly I think.

This first season has also meant that the teams are starting to attract a following, many of the tweets were from people barracking for one or the other side. It also means that a lot of people can now recognise names and faces in the womens game that couldn't before, which may have flow on effects to the national team. The womens Australian cricket team was easy to ignore when it was filled with largely anonymous women, becomes harder to ignore when you start to know the players. Sort of the way ODI didn't kill test cricket, but boosted it, as people attracted to ODI followed there favourite players to the long form.

The AFL is in a similar situation, it needs a national league to drive the jump in quality to the next level.

It was refreshing to see somewhere an interview with a coach of the AFL academy in Vic talking about the womens program. He addressed matter of factly what he saw as deficiencies in the womens game, and that only maybe 20 of the 100 or so at the program where really were they needed to be. The areas he highlighted were, ball hitting the deck to often because of poor kicking skills, players being poor with the ground ball, and poor tackling. It was clear that all these issues were put down to lack of quality training, not to gender.

So the next 12 months for the AFL are to increase the pool of athletic talent available (through the current trials), fast track the development of juniors through the explosion in the number of youth girls academies to make sure the players coming into seniors from the juniors have a better basic skill level.
Get the message out that people wanting to see women playing an AFL level of match need to temper their expectations. Get players in the public eye so they have people to follow, and garner support for whatever teams are in the comp.

The good thing is the WBBL has shown that if you have good exciting games, people will forgive a lower skill level, at least initially.

I liken this project to the moment Triple J increased their minimum Australian music content to 40% back in the 90's. At the time, a lot of the music they played was pretty s**t. The Australian music industry just wasn't well prepared to produce enough good music to fill 40% of the airtime 365 days a year.

20 years later, and the Australian music industry is thriving, and we've catapulted multiple acts to enormous success overseas. The opportunity provided by Triple J caused people to step up to fill the void.

This "hurried" AFL women's comp will do the same thing. Initially, the talent on display will be a bit raw, just as the Australian music on Triple J in 1992 was. In time, however, it will have a huge impact on player development, and the game will grow. I heartily applaud it.

My girlfriend participated at the talent search in Melbourne on Saturday and loved it. Hopefully I'll see her streaming down the wing at the 'G one day.

Incidentally for those that do not know. The womens BBL final was broadcast live in the UK on fox sport. It was not going to be, but there was a campaign to have it broadcast. This emphasises the fact that people will watch if it is promoted and gets peoples attention. This even more than getting the talent ready is the AFLs big task. They can have the best talent in the world, but if no one knows or cares, it will not work.

Incidentally for those that do not know. The womens BBL final was broadcast live in the UK on fox sport. It was not going to be, but there was a campaign to have it broadcast. This emphasises the fact that people will watch if it is promoted and gets peoples attention. This even more than getting the talent ready is the AFLs big task. They can have the best talent in the world, but if no one knows or cares, it will not work.

I think the two elements (talent development and public profile) need to work together...Either, by itself will hit a wall before especially long. A high profile, but crap, game wont hold peoples attention for long, and a super talented game played without anyone knowing will have trouble recruiting.

Now that the women's league is going ahead I think the risk is going too fast...There simply isn't the depth for too many teams or too rapid growth and while some profile is good (and bound to happen), they wouldn't want too much scrutiny because, lets face it, in the early days most games will be a lower standard than what is found on most suburban grounds every weekend. They want/need some exposure, but not so much they wear out their welcome (few teams, short season), and to expand slower than the talent/depth increases.

To that end, I'd start with 6 teams, with a 12 week season (10 H&A, 2 finals), starting alongside the AFL preseason (with double headers where possible) and plan to add 2 teams (and extend the season) every 4(?) years with competitions in the year or two beforehand to determine which teams (although not every team added would be determined this way...e.g. is SA isn't in the initial league, they'd get pushed forward in the expansion).

I'd also align the teams with the smaller AFL clubs in their regions, for a number of reasons (not least being that it would easier to add clubs aligned with bigger clubs later than it would the other way around).

I think the two elements (talent development and public profile) need to work together...Either, by itself will hit a wall before especially long. A high profile, but crap, game wont hold peoples attention for long, and a super talented game played without anyone knowing will have trouble recruiting.

Now that the women's league is going ahead I think the risk is going too fast...There simply isn't the depth for too many teams or too rapid growth and while some profile is good (and bound to happen), they wouldn't want too much scrutiny because, lets face it, in the early days most games will be a lower standard than what is found on most suburban grounds every weekend. They want/need some exposure, but not so much they wear out their welcome (few teams, short season), and to expand slower than the talent/depth increases.

To that end, I'd start with 6 teams, with a 12 week season (10 H&A, 2 finals), starting alongside the AFL preseason (with double headers where possible) and plan to add 2 teams (and extend the season) every 4(?) years with competitions in the year or two beforehand to determine which teams (although not every team added would be determined this way...e.g. is SA isn't in the initial league, they'd get pushed forward in the expansion).

I'd also align the teams with the smaller AFL clubs in their regions, for a number of reasons (not least being that it would easier to add clubs aligned with bigger clubs later than it would the other way around).
Was not implying that they cannot do both, but it is hard to align them totally. I think the emphasis should be on the profile and awareness, but they still need to be putting massive effort into the quality.

The reason I think this is that once people are set, it is really hard to get them to change. If the comp starts with a whimper, with people unaware of it, or indifferent to it, it will be really hard to get them to attend or watch, regardless of what else happens. Look at the A league and how often we have been told that it is about to explode of the back of huge junior numbers and interest in the world game. The reality is, watching AFL and NRL is entrenched, and not watching the A league is also entrenched. The AFL has maybe 2 years to get people used to watching womens footy, or not watching becomes entrenched. Getting the best female athletes in Australia playing after that will have almost no effect on the viability of the comp as a stand alone spectator sport.

Most of the people not watching womens footy because of its poor quality, actually have no real idea of its quality, because they never watch. They are not going to start watching because of an improvement in quality that they are actually unaware of, if you get what I mean.

But you are right, the AFL even if it gets a lot of interest in the first year, does not have long to get the quality right, because if people turn away, it will be hard to get them to turn back.

I cant watch the amount of footy on TV now - sceptical that the women will fragment the current AFL TV audiences adding few new followers that stay after the initial curiousity.
I only have 1 or 2 must watch games a week, others I watch if it is convenient. Could easily fit in an WCE women's game, over say, watching another Carlton shocker.

I only have 1 or 2 must watch games a week, others I watch if it is convenient. Could easily fit in an WCE women's game, over say, watching another Carlton shocker.

I still think it's a legitimate question - our games are so long - 9 per week - even if you limit yourself to two mens games - that's still a sizeable chunk of the weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back