Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Interesting.

Stumbled across this due to my mates involvement with Team Lebanon.

http://aflworldcup.com.au/player-eligibility/

The 2015 Australian Football World Cup will follow the criteria used by other football codes when staging their respective World Cups.

As a result there are 3 simple criteria for national team eligibility:

1. a player must be a citizen and passport holder of the country, or
2. a player must have a parent or grandparent born in the country, or
3. a player must have lived in the country continuously for 36 months.

Looks like plenty of players will be based in Aus.

No Team NZ, yet.

ah so the usual suspects then. From Global Footys site -

Brian Clarke, General Manager

Born in Amsterdam, Brian has lived and worked in Australia, New Zealand, Japan and the UK. A law graduate, his business background includes law and the Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade. Brian has been involved in international sports development for 20 years. He has been responsible for the creation of such concepts as the International Cup, Harmony Cup, EU Cup and Global Footy. When he was younger Brian also represented Australia in American football.

I cant see it getting AFL endorsement, which means no state league endorsement either. So we're talking district or regional club players.

ah so the usual suspects then. From Global Footys site -

I cant see it getting AFL endorsement, which means no state league endorsement either. So we're talking district or regional club players.
With little to no players actually from the leagues of the respective countries? It feels something like a 'multicultural' cup rather than a world cup. I do not really see the point.

Just looked up the website and Global Footy. First question is, who the f is global footy, and what connection do they have to anybody?

Also 'Global Footy was formed in 2005 to promote and develop the sport of Australian Football internationally, and one of its powers is to establish and promote an official World Cup'

They have the power to establish a footy world cup, is that like a super power. Where did this power come from. I can find no endorsements from anybody. Setting up what looks like an entirely Ethnic Australian football tournament, and trying to establish themselves as a 'World cup' to my mind, diminishes the international cup. I think it may end up being opposed by many of the national bodies from the countries supposedly competing, as well as lacking AFL endorsement.

If they called it a multicultural cup, I would be fine with it, trying to call it a world cup is a bit of a cheek really.

If they called it a multicultural cup, I would be fine with it, trying to call it a world cup is a bit of a cheek really.

Brian has proposed his world cup numerous times and it is yet to happen at least in the manner promised. Incidentally he is a fan of the rugby style qualification rules. ARI did not start the IC, Brian was a member of a committee that represented footy from a number of countries that started the IC as I recall it. Am sure he will be floating around somewhere to confirm or correct this. Or trawl back through the old posts from 2004 onwards and you will get the idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm all for improving the international visibility of the game, but this seems like it will be chock full of Australians who just happen to be descended from immigrants. Which means there's no real international participation, which means it really isn't promoting the game outside of Australia.

A for effort though.

571106-ea6eaf56-9b74-11e4-9b39-62b37ee06626.jpg

"FOURTEEN nations will go head to head in March as Australia’s favourite game goes global.

The Australian Football World Cup — an extension of the Harmony Cup — is an opportunity for different communities to connect over sport while promoting AFL overseas."

here's the latest : http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...184571517?nk=20e814fdbf2ee83d42a93899c9324c4c

I'm not sure what to think of this.

If it's a comp for 2nd and 3rd generation aussies, I'm not sure what the point is.
Yeah, I would have thought the best comp for them would be the AFL (or state leagues, or whatever is equivalent to their skill level)

I'm not sure what to think of this.

If it's a comp for 2nd and 3rd generation aussies, I'm not sure what the point is.

It's getting people who don't usually play the game playing it all while celebrating the multiculturalism which is prevalent in Australia today at the same.

Any one can make a website.

I agree - the "proof of the pudding" is whether it gets updated.

Team Australia (the Deadly Roos) are currently looking for players, sponsors and supporters.

If you are interested in being involved please contact Team Australia via the details below:
The Dutch Lions are currently looking for players, sponsors and supporters.

If you are interested in being involved please contact the Dutch Lions via the details below.
Team Ireland is currently looking for players, sponsors and supporters.

If you are interested in being involved please contact Team Ireland via the details below.

...etc...

You'd think 2 days before the day of the tournament teams wouldn't still be looking for players...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back