AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

White shorts actually suit the Hawks better as they match the white number patch on their back.

I prefer Hawthorn in white shorts too - When they are wearing brown shorts I hate the white square on the back, seems way out of place. With white shorts it gives it more context, way better on the eye - !

Why don't the Hawks have brown numbers on a gold panel?
Is the black numbers on white panel really necessary?

It was the style we used back in the 60's and 70's I gather; used it as a heritage jumper in '05 (?) and they made the switch the following year. I much prefer it to the plain gold back with brown numbers.

The policy is a load of shite, why did the hawks wear white shorts today? No white in their guernsey (apart from the number panel)...... hmmm..

Because we were the away team....

It was the style we used back in the 60's and 70's I gather; used it as a heritage jumper in '05 (?) and they made the switch the following year. I much prefer it to the plain gold back with brown numbers.

Thanks for clarifying. I fully agree with you, much prefer Hawthorn to not wear a white panel, therefore avoid introducing white into their jumpers.

Thanks for clarifying. I fully agree with you, much prefer Hawthorn to not wear a white panel, therefore avoid introducing white into their jumpers.

Actually, what I said was I prefer the white panel.

So you did. My error. Then we have a small disagreement. Is it because you find it clearer to read black numbers on a white panel? I really didn't see a problem with Hawthorn's old-style of brown numbers on gold panel.

So you did. My error. Then we have a small disagreement. Is it because you find it clearer to read black numbers on a white panel? I really didn't see a problem with Hawthorn's old-style of brown numbers on gold panel.

I just prefer the aesthetics of it and I reckon I'm in the majority as Hawks supporters go. Both are fairly clear in terms of legibility, etc.

I just prefer the aesthetics of it and I reckon I'm in the majority as Hawks supporters go. Both are fairly clear in terms of legibility, etc.
Fair enough. Thanks for your opinion and explanation. I still don't see the need for the current version, but it seems here to stay... for now.

So we know that the old home/away rule is a thing of the past. The AFL has explained that the new rule to determine which team wears the white shorts is based on the premise that the AFL wants to avoid adding white to a uniform that does not already contain white. Consequently, when Essendon travels to Perth to play Fremantle, the AFL has decided that the purple and white Dockers should wear the white shorts rather than the red and black Bombers. I wonder if anyone from AFL HQ would care to explain why on the very same day, the blue and gold Eagles are wearing white shorts playing against the black and WHITE Magpies.

who cares

Good to see the new white shorts rule applied twice today with pleasing results:

Geelong (white shorts) v Adelaide (navy shorts)
North Melbourne (white shorts) v Melbourne (navy shorts)

However, Carlton v Richmond was still an eyesore, with both teams wearing dark. Is it that hard to put Richmond in a yellow strip for away games against predominantly dark or similarly coloured teams?

When was the last time the Hawks wore white shorts v Geel? I can't remember them doing it for a while.

Round 2, 2012 and they wore them in the home games in 2011, 2010 and 2009 as well (and probably further back than that, but unfortunately, I don't remember any Geelong/Hawthorn history, prior to 2009). I think the white shorts and white-topped socks is a much better look, but happy for us to wear navy shorts where appropriate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both Hawthorn and St Kilda have worn white shorts vs Geelong's blue at most games over the last few years (Geelong home games) haven't seen these teams play each other yet but I certainly hope it has been rectified under the new rule.

Well Geelong will wear white to Hawthorns home game this Friday, but I'm not sure I see a problem either way.

Most likely.

Although (I think I may have posted this already) it is interesting to note that in the 1989 GF Both Hawks and Geelong wore their home shorts (Geelong blue, Hawthorn brown). Also in the Crows first game in 1991, both Adelaide and Hawthorn wore their full home kits, and the Hawks even had their home shorts (brown).

Geelong should just wear white shorts as part of their permanent kit. It's makes it easier to distinguish the two teams apart, it's more recognisable as Geelong and that's what they won their three most recent premierships in.

Both Hawthorn and St Kilda have worn white shorts vs Geelong's blue at most games over the last few years (Geelong home games) haven't seen these teams play each other yet but I certainly hope it has been rectified under the new rule.

More of an issue against St Kilda than Hawthorn, in my opinion. Happy with Geelong to wear white shorts against all primarily black, navy or purple opponents, whether the game is home or away. I don't see it being much of an issue against Hawthorn.

Most likely.

Although (I think I may have posted this already) it is interesting to note that in the 1989 GF Both Hawks and Geelong wore their home shorts (Geelong blue, Hawthorn brown). Also in the Crows first game in 1991, both Adelaide and Hawthorn wore their full home kits, and the Hawks even had their home shorts (brown).

Can't be sure, but I don't think Hawthorn wore white shorts much at all from the late 80s until well into the 90s (similar to Sydney these days).

In finals the home team decides what they wear, that is why st. kilda had to wear their clash guernsey in the 2010 grand finals. It is very similar in the home and away fixtures unless the afl needs to stick their heads in. As a collingwood supporter i believe we should wear white shorts against carlton, richmond and carlton.

Can't be sure, but I don't think Hawthorn wore white shorts much at all from the late 80s until well into the 90s (similar to Sydney these days).

They rarely wore white shorts - away games against the Bears being the exception.

Only really returned to white shorts when compelled to by the league.

In finals the home team decides what they wear, that is why st. kilda had to wear their clash guernsey in the 2010 grand finals. It is very similar in the home and away fixtures unless the afl needs to stick their heads in. As a collingwood supporter i believe we should wear white shorts against carlton, richmond and carlton.

Isn't the Grand Final a coin toss?

In finals the home team decides what they wear, that is why st. kilda had to wear their clash guernsey in the 2010 grand finals.

Ummmmmm Finals are the same as home and away season, the AFL decides, clash or not.

It is very similar in the home and away fixtures unless the afl needs to stick their heads in. As a collingwood supporter i believe we should wear white shorts against carlton, richmond and carlton

In finals, both teams wear their home kits regardless of venue. If a team has more white (eg Geelong) then they wear the white shorts regardless, like WCE in the semi vs Carlton.

I agree, Collingwood should wear white shorts at home vs Carlton and Richmond. I assume by the second Carlton you mean Hawks? Also vs Essendon as well.

The reason why St Kilda had to wear their clash in GF was simple: home kit could not be worn without causing a clash. Yes there was a coin toss and as I understand it, the Saints won however poor old Eddie couldn't have his brethren running out in a clash jumper (Which ironically, used to be their home jumper!) so he dug out some outdated rulebook, slipped some $$ into Andrews pocket and the rest is history.

The reason why St Kilda had to wear their clash in GF was simple: home kit could not be worn without causing a clash. Yes there was a coin toss and as I understand it, the Saints won however poor old Eddie couldn't have his brethren running out in a clash jumper (Which ironically, used to be their home jumper!) so he dug out some outdated rulebook, slipped some $$ into Andrews pocket and the rest is history.

I'm pretty sure the coin toss has just been a media event for years and the AFL determines what clubs wear.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back