AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

Then why the heck aren't Collingwood wearing there 'traditional' white jumper.

The AFL gives us so many reasons to stop watching this sport.
Why should they? They don't want to, they don't have to. It's their home game and they're not wearing something that looks like the opposition.

I refuse to watch Collingwood Carlton matches until they fix this policy. lunacy. way too much effort to tell who is who.

either Collingwood go in with their traditional jumper with white shorts, or Carlton wear their all white jumper, with white shorts. It is nearly the worst clash in the AFL, and yet it still isnt fixed. beyond a joke.

Vuckin stupid clash

Carlton wear all blue Collingwood all white every time for crying out loud
Collingwood exercise their right as home team to wear their first-choice jumper, just like every other team in the competition. Carlton have to provide a suitably-non-clashing kit to wear against that, just like every other team in the competion (should have to).

Remember the uproar when WCE were forced to wear an alternate jumper at home? Why are people so willing to see that still?

I refuse to watch Collingwood Carlton matches until they fix this policy. lunacy. way too much effort to tell who is who.

either Collingwood go in with their traditional jumper with white shorts, or Carlton wear their all white jumper, with white shorts. It is nearly the worst clash in the AFL, and yet it still isnt fixed. beyond a joke.

Yeah, what little enthusiasm I have left for some of these stale VFL rivalries evaporates every time I see a massed jumble of black and white on both teams.

It's a little depressing how provincial and backwards it is.

I think this one was the worst

Brent+Prismall+Rohan+Bail+NAB+Cup+Quarter+R6RFEJqaLWTl.jpg

Melbourne didn't play a home game against Essendon for several years since we were happy wearing a clash strip but Essendon refused.

Note: this image was a NAB cup game, and it was our home game.

Part of the deal for us never wearing white shorts was that we had to have an all gold back and plain gold socks to further remove the 'clash'.
If it meant us not wearing a white jumper, I would be very happy return to a gold back/socks - even with white shorts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this one was the worst

Brent+Prismall+Rohan+Bail+NAB+Cup+Quarter+R6RFEJqaLWTl.jpg

Melbourne didn't play a home game against Essendon for several years since we were happy wearing a clash strip but Essendon refused.

Note: this image was a NAB cup game, and it was our home game.
Essendon always think they are above the rules. The karma hit is going to be huge.

Only clubs that should wear white shorts:

Geelong
North Melbourne
Collingwood
Fremantle away.

Other club colour shorts:

Essendon, Melbourne, Bulldogs, Brisbane (when in Melbourne wearing Fitzroy jumpers): Red.
I'd go with a general rule that the jumpers the shorts should match the predominate colour of the back of the jumper with limited exceptions for light coloured jumpers.

Adelaide - Home: Navy/Navy, Clash: Red/Red, Yellow/Yellow or White/White
Brisbane - Home: Maroon/Maroon, Clash: Red/Red, Yellow/Yellow or White/White
Carlton - Home: Navy/Navy, Clash: White/White
Collingwood - Home: Black/Black, Clash: White/Black or White/White
Essendon - Home: Black/Black, Clash: Red/Red
Footscray - Home: Royal Blue/Royal Blue, Clash: Red/Red or White/White
Fremantle - Home: Dark Purple/Dark Purple, Clash: White/White
Geelong - Home: White/Navy or White/White, Clash: Navy/Navy
Gold Coast - Home: Red/Red, Clash: Yellow/Yellow, Blue/Blue or White/White
Western Sydney - Home: Charcoal/Charcoal, Clash: Orange/Orange or White/White
Hawthorn - Home: Yellow/Brown or Yellow/Yellow, Clash: Brown/Brown
Melbourne - Home: Navy/Navy, Clash: Red/Red
North Melbourne - Home: White/Royal Blue or White/White, Clash: Royal Blue/Royal Blue
Port Adelaide - Home: Black/Black, Clash: White/White
Richmond - Home: Black/Black, Clash: Yellow/Yellow
St Kilda - Home: Black/Black, Clash: White/White or Red/Red
Sydney - Home: Red/Red, Clash: White/White
West Coast - Home: Navy/Navy or Royal Blue/Royal Blue, Clash: Yellow/Yellow or White/White

Remove this Banner Ad

Back