AFLs Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Interesting the players association have decided to brand their own top 50 as chosen by the players.

Ahead of the 2015 season we presented the AFL players with a simple challenge: rank the best in the game, right now

http://www.afl.com.au/news/features/players-top-50

Not a terrible list so far but a few anomalies that really stand out . . .

Given the list is supposed to reflect the best players 'right now' player 28 stands out as the most obvious who really isn't a top 50 player anymore. AS great as Bartel has been not sure he belongs in their either. And number 14 needs an asterix at minimum even though he is way higher than he should be based on recent form...

Interestingly the list is overwhelmingly midfielders just like the brownlow. IS that a reflection of the game or selection bias?

there are more mids playing than any other 'position' and hence they should dominate the top 50. what stands out for is here are probably zero defenders in the top 50? would like to see a top 5-10 for mids, forwards, defenders, rucks.

i'm guessing the top 6 is rounded out with roughy, buddy, selwood, pendlebury, fyfe, ablett.

I think Bryce may have voted twice:D

Got no issue with Gibbs. Reckon he deserves his spot. Judd at 28 is probably fine too. If he gets a good run with injury this year I'll think he'll remind everyone that he's a bloody good player, even if he doesn't reach the heights of the top handful.

Agree with the next six play2win. Could throw a blanket over spots 5 - 20 but Cotchin at 12 seems very generous.

Yep agree with that top 6. Although not the order. Buddy is top 2 IMO.

There are quite a few players ahead of Mitchell though, Cotchin being one, that make me shake my head.

Agreed there's a few there that would be lucky especially Priddis don't get me wrong good player but not a top 30 , think he won brownlow on stats! That don't see Harvey in top 30 either apart from that most seem fitting but not right order for me... Can't see ablett being knocked from 1st

So for the players named in the top 10, have the silhouettes actually matched up to the images revealed? On the thread on the AFL board somebody pointed out that number 4 looks a lot like Brian! :p

Yeah its already been shown that the pics don't match the player unlike last year #10 is Robbie Gray and the pic was McVeigh

Cheers, good to know. I wonder how high Roughy can go then? Will be interesting to see. Would be pretty funny if the players rated him above Bud, but in all honesty if Buddy isn't top two it would be very strange.

Excess of mids is probably due to that being the most common position on the ground and also because that greater number of mids are going to rate other mids highest due to them playing on them.

Dominant forwards will always get a look in while defenders are doing a pretty thankless job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

don't look at Mark Ricciuto's top 50...it's a joke! Eddie Betts rated higher than Mitchell.
I've had a really good chuckle at his top 50. His bias & catty comments are very satisfying - especially where he wrote that Mitchell "picks & chooses when he plays well - like last year's Grand Final".

Let's remember, here's a bloke who, even midway through last year refused to rate us because we play "pretty, unaccountable, chip-chip football".

Whenever his comments are aired, I always recall Adelaide Hawk's comments about him - It's a good job he could play football because otherwise he would have had a career washing cars for a living.

I've had a really good chuckle at his top 50. His bias & catty comments are very satisfying - especially where he wrote that Mitchell "picks & chooses when he plays well - like last year's Grand Final".

Let's remember, here's a bloke who, even midway through last year refused to rate us because we play "pretty, unaccountable, chip-chip football".

Whenever his comments are aired, I always recall Adelaide Hawk's comments about him - It's a good job he could play football because otherwise he would have had a career washing cars for a living.
He's pandering to a feral SA audience. He tells them what they want to hear (ie. SA is da best, chuck out da rest) and they buy up all the papers and listen to his shows keeping him in work.

He's pandering to a feral SA audience. He tells them what they want to hear (ie. SA is da best, chuck out da rest) and they buy up all the papers and listen to his shows keeping him in work.
Of course he is. He's no different to (m)any of the others that work in the media machine over here.

And it should come as no surprise that he's tipped Port to win the premiership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back