Opinion After RD5..

Kilmo

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Each week has to be won on its own. Every game is a danger game. We don't have a final 8 position until the final round. There are bound to be some disappointments on the way, given the way so many of the players, especially defenders, are playing above expectations. There only have to be a couple drop back to expected performance at the same time for the knives to come back out.
But getting ahead of yourself is what being a supporter is all about. Since when did fandom need to be logical?

Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
I must admit that after low expectations heading into the season I've been pleasantly surprised by how well the Pies have played so far this season barring the first game against Fremantle. The youngsters are emerging and developing nicely, our experienced guys are beginning to stand up and Buckley's game plan is starting to become clear and succinct. I like the fact that there's more emphasis of man on man footy as opposed to zoning which I found was a problem with Bucks in 2012 and 2013 so it's a good sign that he's learning that man on man football is the way to go in most cases.

My excitement levels for this season have lifted greatly after a very pessimistic summer. I like what I'm seeing with the boys and I hope we can continue to keep this up for the remainder of the year. I can't wait to play Essendon now and they seemed to be out of form so we've got a great chance here but we better make sure that we play with 100% commitment and intent and we don't get complacent. Essendon will come out to play on the big day, but I'd like to think we can rectify what happened last year on ANZAC Day!

The side is young so I don't think we should get ahead ourselves but there's plenty of reason to be excited as well!

Oct 2, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New York Knicks
I like the fact that there's more emphasis of man on man footy as opposed to zoning which I found was a problem with Bucks in 2012 and 2013 so it's a good sign that he's learning that man on man football is the way to go in most cases.

Sort of disagree with this bit, I think we were trying to play man on man a fair bit in the last few seasons but were semi out of practice at it (and missing key personnel)... Having Toovey back in the backline was a good start but the key for mine in the change has been Jack Frost's form - with him back it gives us a few players who are good one on one and stops us being chopped up by quicker players on the rebound.

When it comes in quick there seems to be a Frost or Toovey blanketing key offense (soon to be Marley :hearts: as well). When it gets slowed down coming forward Maxwell is back to his best at chopping off the entries with a zone setup (don't underestimate Keefe in this situation as well being 203 cm is always good for a spoil in a pack situation)

Then going the other way Sidebottom and Fasolo are probably the key rebounders at the moment who both make solid decisions and have solid footskills..

Will be interesting the changes as the season goes on - Marley/Sinclair will definitely come in as the crumber-stopper and my guess is Brown might come in for Keefe (although its looking better without him).

So Langdon will come out for Marley leaving a back six of

Toovey - Brown/Keefe - Williams
Fasolo - Frost - Maxwell

Maybe even Scharenberg as a 7th man would be nice but we'll wait n see....