after the Hawks premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong
50/56 wins
110/129 wins
+3 flags

end of story.

....not to mention HOW MANY wins in a row over hawthorn? 10? 11?

The Lions were very different to Hawthorn 1988/89. The Hawks were the undisputed pacesetters having won successive b2b minor premierships, the Lions never won the minor premierships (allowing Essendon and a port to be the pacesetters) but found the perfect mix of form in the finals

Geelong 2007/08 was the closest to Hawthorn 1988/89 over the last 25 years

I understand what your saying but I always felt through both late 80s hawks and 2000s lions that they could just win when they wanted or needed to, they were better than the rest of the comp by some margin.
If the lions wanted or needed to they could have had minor premierships.
From rd 17 2008 I felt we were the form team and that night couldn't have been better for us.

When you go through the names in each team the lions to me are the most dominating and intimidating team since the 80s hawks for a long period.

But I guess the stats say through wins and losses the cats like you say are

Geelong
50/56 wins
110/129 wins
+3 flags

end of story.

How many in Finals?

Geelong
50/56 wins
110/129 wins
+3 flags

end of story.

3 flags including back to back, plus a grand final and prelim final win over them>>>>>>>>>>3 flags with no back to back, they can have every home and away win in history and it still doesn't come with a bull's roar of being even close to a GF and PF win. And I'm sure most neutral fans would agree.

Geelong
50/56 wins
110/129 wins
+3 flags

end of story.

So 3 flags closes the argument?

Okay based on that logic, when Hawthorn win 4 it will close the argument. End of story ok.

Put aside the Cats and Hawks of the modern era... The Hawthorn team of the 80's was the best ever. Period.
In a 9 year span, they played in 8 Grand Finals (seven straight GF's) and won 5.

How do ya like them apples?

I don't care if they beat us 20 in a row, as long as we keep knocking them out in the finals and Grand Finals.

When it matters. Mwahhh

P.s. I loved watching that Geelong team, same as the Lions. Tough as nails. It's ok to have friendly banter but in the end I love the game, and those who play it well. Like most Hawthorn supporters I actually respect the Geelong F.C. They actually do play the game how it should be played. But now, nobody does it like the Hawks. Poetry in motion. Love it or hate it, you will respect it.

Geelong
50/56 wins
110/129 wins
+3 flags
end of story.
....not to mention HOW MANY wins in a
row over hawthorn? 10? 11?
11. As I said earlier, the Cats were a very good H&A side.... Sheesh even Sydney can say the got us in a recent Grand Final, and they haven't even been able to buy their way into the 3 way discussion.... The modern day Hawks create the same hype/fear as the dominant Lions & Cats in their prime as far as no weak links... Three deadset champion teams/clubs that sustained winning culture... Retail therapy is short lived

OP, don't get caught up about comparing Hawks/Cats/Lions. Just enjoy this awesome era we are currently having and let's leave the pissing contest at the door. I'm sure supporters of most other clubs are looking at the supporters of Hawthorn/Geelong and are wondering how we can't just be content with what we have witnessed at our clubs over recent years. Saints supporters and WB supporters in particular would give anything to be in our position given how close they came for a number of years during the Cats/Hawks era.

If Hawthorn were to fall away next year (I don't think we will) I would look back on the past 7 years and be happy with what I have witnessed our club achieve. It's been an amazing ride to be on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No

Geelong, Hawthorn and Brisbane = @ at 3 flags, 4 GF's
Sydney is on the next rung with 2 flags, 4 GF's
Collingwood is on the next rung with 1 flag and 4 GF's
Port Adelaide, West Coast and Essendon = @ 1 flag and 2 GFs

The tie breaker are minor premierships...

Between Geelong (2), Hawthorn (2) and Brisbane (-)
Port Adelaide (3), West Coast (-) and Essendon (2)

So...

1. Geelong and Hawthorn =
3. Brisbane
4. Sydney
5. Collingwood
6. Port Adelaide
7. Essendon
8. West Coast
why cant the next tie-breker be prelims or % of games won

3 flags including back to back, plus a grand final and prelim final win over them>>>>>>>>>>3 flags with no back to back, they can have every home and away win in history and it still doesn't come with a bull's roar of being even close to a GF and PF win. And I'm sure most neutral fans would agree.

I wouldnt be so sure. The H&A speaks for a lot. They did it over a longer period, more consistently, and had the wood over you guys for a big chunk of your era. You guys didnt beat them until just over 13 months ago.

Plus in 2008 their team made up almost half of the all-australian. (or was it 09?)

You guys are second for me and most other ppl, followed by brissi in 3rd.

;)

If you guys win the flag next year or surpass the H&A record over the next 2 years then you get the number 1.

Last edited:
I wouldnt be so sure. The H&A speaks for a lot. They did it over a longer period, more consistently, and had the wood over you guys for a big chunk of your era. You guys didnt beat them until just over 13 months ago.

Plus in 2008 their team made up almost half of the all-australian. (or was it 09?)

You guys are second for me and most other ppl, followed by brissi in 3rd.

;)

If you guys win the flag next year or surpass the H&A record over the next 2 years then you get the number 1.
So you would take 12 H&A wins over Grand Final and Prelim Final wins? And they say Sydney fans have poor football knowledge....

Geelong
50/56 wins
110/129 wins
+3 flags

end of story.

1_beeb393b4bf6d735b96e28f1a71bdf95.jpg

I think supporters of these three clubs should just look back and realise how lucky they are to witness such greatness. Who cares about ranking, my team ******* won 3 in a row! Good enough for me and I've seen more in my lifetime than supporters of many other teams.

Hardly call beating us by an average margin of what 8 points is hammering us.
11 wins in a row is what I was referring to. Maybe hammering is the wrong word.

maybe embarrassed?
humiliated?
mortified?
slammed?
conquered?

I dont know, you choose one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back