Ageless Drew Morphett

Remove this Banner Ad

if huddo was on fox but i also heard Tony Leonard call the 13th goal on 3aw i think he and huddo went crazy over that

Twas a bit sad listening to the farewells to Drew Morphett on the cricket today - I hadn't been following this thread, so I didn't realise this was a redundancy thing, I thought he was just retiring.

These ABC cuts get worse the more I read about them. The cricket show that Lonergan and Newlinds had done was very good. I think they're both good commentators.

Perhaps the silver lining is that the news + sport job could be Newlinds' anyway? Having grown up in Tassie, I know that Newlinds has done a lot of news reading in addition to his national Grandstand stuff... that said, I haven't heard his heard his voice on the radio for a while...

It does make me wonder whose left to call the footy next year with Morphett and Lonergan gone... dare I wonder if they're going to go down the one-commentator route on radio? Or will we get an inferior product with the less-than-stellar local commentators doing more and more? (The guys over in Perth are shocking.)
maybe joe sullivan martin blake or andrew mayes would do more games or kelli underwood or maybe they use the sa or wa guys or the qld guys

Agree, they were terrific commentators.

Not many people these days remember how good a commentator Ian Robertson was in his heyday. Insightful, knew what was good and what was bad, and not afraid to say so.
I never thought Id hear anyone (apart from a Blues supporter)
say that.

Morphett is remarkable. You don't appreciate how good he is until you watch a game live while listening to him call it on the radio simultaneously. And simultaneous is the word; there is absolutely no lag between the action and what he says. Everyone else is half a beat behind the play, and there's occasionally a tenth of a second pause to get a player's name right or something or other. Not with Morphett.

Very sad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if huddo was on fox but i also heard Tony Leonard call the 13th goal on 3aw i think he and huddo went crazy over that

Love Drew Morphett - very sad.

As for Huddo, I used to like him, but he goes OTT too often these days (i.e the "it's kill or be killed" promo that SEN play around the clock). Too overly dramatic for my liking.

did he commentate anywhere last year? thought he did a couple of interviews maybe on abc, think he used to do some stuff in country sa
did a game at maunka last year port gws while gereread and drew and the team were at mcg i tihnk it was with alister nciolson?

As for Huddo, I used to like him, but he goes OTT too often these days (i.e the "it's kill or be killed" promo that SEN play around the clock). Too overly dramatic for my liking.

Glad to see I'm not the only one - I'd add that on top of dramatising even the most mundane things, he also talks far too much, causing himself to fall behind the play as it is happening.

Hugely overrated commentator.

Dan Lonergan is on triple m today calling the game with Shwatta, good to see him back in a radio gig!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back