Ahmed Saad's ban for energy drink on match day

Remove this Banner Ad

The Age is reporting its Ahmed Saad.......

You'd think the whole Essendon thing may help us here if he is found guilty of something minor. It would be hard for them to let off everyone at Essendon who took something banned, but then ban Saad for two years for unwittingly taking something.
watch it happen though

How long ago was Ramadan? Was few weeks back wast it? No excuse but might have taken something thinking it was legal?

Funny, I'd consider him one of the smarter ones.

Even before this, I'd have put him in the naive / blissfully ignorant category.

He's looked all at sea following the "hurry the _uck up" rule designed for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How long ago was Ramadan? Was few weeks back wast it? No excuse but might have taken something thinking it was legal?
Ramadan is on now. Going for another week I think.

Possibly taken a supplement type thing to upkeep energy stocks during daytime VFL matches? Bachar Houli has written about how difficult a period it is.

I
You'd think the whole Essendon thing may help us here if he is found guilty of something minor. It would be hard for them to let off everyone at Essendon who took something banned, bit then ban Saad for two years for unwittingly taking something.
I've been wondering whether the Essendon thing will make this better or worse. Obviously, we need to wait for the facts to come out (oh god, where have I heard that before?!). But assuming this is an unintentional and (hopefully) relatively minor infraction, the Essendon case might help. If the AFL throws the book at Essendon and those involved to warn any other clubs thinking about going down that road, then it Saad's offence would be treated pretty harshly. BUT, since they are pretty keen on protecting Hird and will fight strongly to lessen punishments, that would set a precedent that would carry over to the Saad's case. Like you said, if Essendon players are protected when they were part of a team doping system but an individual who unwittingly took a banned substance is banned for two years - you'd think there would be a bit of an uproar.

So many variables though - the biggest one being what it is he took. All this drug stuff is internally very political, but it'll be interesting to see whether the AFL's approach will satisfy WADA - they don't give a stuff who Hird is and have shown previously they don't give a stuff if athletes took banned substances unintentionally.

Even before this, I'd have put him in the naive / blissfully ignorant category.

He's looked all at sea following the "hurry the _uck up" rule designed for him.
Wonder if the AFL have forgotten about that rule considering the one player it affects has been dropped. :rolleyes:
But anyway I was just talking generally in his character, seemed to have his head screwed on.

Not an excuse but a highly reasonable explanation. Good pick up.

Obviously very disappointing. Of course, we must wait for the B sample. But if it confirms the worst, he must and will go.

Suddenly our small forward stocks are doubtful for next season.

That is truly heartbreaking. A player I have a real soft-spot for. Seems a nice guy, by all appearances.

Still, even if it's a stuff up, I hope we are proactive in doing whatever ASADA want. No smoke screens, no "I (don't) take full responsibility". Just cop the fine, do the time.

Let's show Essendon what it's like to act with integrity. If we immediately shut Saad down for accidentally taking a banned substance, how poor do they look for trying to rort the system when they systematically cheated?

It really sh it's me when people suggest somebody of a faith is less likely to break the rules, unwittingly or not. I note that post has been deleted but save it for the religion section. I'd have thought by now we would realise that is merely an incident of where you are born rather than an indication of morals.

Might have something to do with his drop off in form though

Yeah I'm thinking meal replacement.

Why didn't the club issue a statement?

Much better than Caro breaking it...we had time to beat her naming the player.

Slow again to react, you'd think we'd be good at scandals now

I think you are probably spot on ST. I just said as much to another saints fan just now, knowing a bit about young Muslims - many of whom I have taught at Uni - and knowing how very very difficult life can be. It won't be an excuse or defense, but just like the young man who was banned from the VFL, I am guessing Saad took a supplement unwittingly in a protein drink or similar.

Of course I could be wrong. Anyway, it is stupid whatever happened and ASADA don't really give a f... but fingers crossed for the club's repuatation and Saad's that the second sample is clean.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back