Air Travel and The Effect on Players Careers

Remove this Banner Ad

southcoast

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2006
southcoast
AFL Club
West Coast
I'll put my hand up and say - I thought the amount of air travel we do shortens players' careers.

Apparently not. Caught these few paragraphs in today's edition of the Sunday Times,

"The Eagles have had more players than most chalk up 250 game milestones since the inception of the national competition.

I hear the crap rolled out about 300-game players and why do they not have any.

Well, Collingwood only has one in the same length of time, Tony Shaw, and the Magpies have hardly travelled at all over the same period."

Seems to me I need to rethink this matter - FWIW - I did hear Ross Lyon highlight travel as a negative issue in a recent radio interview he did.

Link to full article here.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/opi...to-trim-more-fat/story-fnhocuug-1227080005340

N.B. Mods - the article is about list trimming etc but would like this discussion to focus on air travel and career shortening. Feel free to move if you wish.

Who cares about how many games they play! The important part of the article is about trimming more fat which again we have not done and again we seem to feel that the current list can win a flag.
Simpson has surprised me a little, I thought for sure he would trade out players and look to get a ready made mid but clearly he feels Selwood, priddis, Masten etc are the ones.
Of course it is very hard to get a ready made mid but have we tried? Why are we not prepared to give up the above mentioned players to get someone better?
Surely we are not going down the same midfield path again?

Who cares about how many games they play! The important part of the article is about trimming more fat which again we have not done and again we seem to feel that the current list can win a flag.
Simpson has surprised me a little, I thought for sure he would trade out players and look to get a ready made mid but clearly he feels Selwood, priddis, Masten etc are the ones.
Of course it is very hard to get a ready made mid but have we tried? Why are we not prepared to give up the above mentioned players to get someone better?
I don't think we're done with the trimming already. There will be some players they think may have trade value that will be dropped once they realise they don't.

"The Eagles have had more players than most chalk up 250 game milestones since the inception of the national competition.

I hear the crap rolled out about 300-game players and why do they not have any.

Well, Collingwood only has one in the same length of time, Tony Shaw, and the Magpies have hardly travelled at all over the same period."

You can make a sample set talk stats for many things, especially when you ignore Scott Burns playing 264 games for Collingwood between '95 and '08. Even more so if you use a narrow set. You could also chalk it up to expansion clubs having to force more games into players early in their careers, more than half of our 250 gamers played in the second premiership in 94.

Here's some other stats based off info from Wikipedia:

We can agree that Brisbane, Freo, Gold Coast and West Coast travel the most.

There are 32 players (1.8 per team on average) who have played 300 or more games who with at least some in the 2000s (or ye olde modern era):

4 from Brisbane
1 from Fremantle
0 from Gold Coast
0 from West Coast

If the travelling teams were to have an even percentage this would total 7 players.

There are 35 active (not counting those who retired at the close of this season) players (1.95 per team on average) who have played 200 games or more:

0 from Brisbane
4 from Fremantle
0 from Gold Coast
0 from West Coast

So the travelling teams are even further behind. Even if you include this year's retirements, the 4 clubs are below average. Hell the only way you can string it is if you take out Brisbane and Gold Coast, and then Freo's 4 experienced players knocks us up to the average of 200 gamers.

I don't think we're done with the trimming already. There will be some players they think may have trade value that will be dropped once they realise they don't.
Could be, I think Wilson is the only on remaining who is without a contract next season. I doubt the club will be dropping contracted players for salary cap reasons.

I thought for sure he would trade out players and look to get a ready made mid but clearly he feels Selwood, priddis, Masten etc are the ones.
Given that it's been an entire day of the trade period I think we've missed the boat. I'd be surprised if any players from any team move clubs from here on in.

You can make a sample set talk stats for many things, especially when you ignore Scott Burns playing 264 games for Collingwood between '95 and '08. Even more so if you use a narrow set. You could also chalk it up to expansion clubs having to force more games into players early in their careers, more than half of our 250 gamers played in the second premiership in 94.

Here's some other stats based off info from Wikipedia:

We can agree that Brisbane, Freo, Gold Coast and West Coast travel the most.

There are 32 players (1.8 per team on average) who have played 300 or more games who with at least some in the 2000s (or ye olde modern era):

4 from Brisbane
1 from Fremantle
0 from Gold Coast
0 from West Coast

If the travelling teams were to have an even percentage this would total 7 players.

There are 35 active (not counting those who retired at the close of this season) players (1.95 per team on average) who have played 200 games or more:

0 from Brisbane
4 from Fremantle
0 from Gold Coast
0 from West Coast

So the travelling teams are even further behind. Even if you include this year's retirements, the 4 clubs are below average. Hell the only way you can string it is if you take out Brisbane and Gold Coast, and then Freo's 4 experienced players knocks us up to the average of 200 gamers.
Including Gold Coast is a bit ridiculous, they've only been around for a few seasons so I'm not surprised they don't have any 300 gamers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know Langon is a hack, but he's right about us trimming more fat.

Not from Mcgovern, from the list. Soon as the trade period finishes i expect at least 2 more delistings to free up space on our list for more picks.

One of which, will obviously be used on Alec.

Haven't we already committed pick 130-something for Alec?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back