AIS-AFL Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Taswegian, just watchedthe first half and half of the third quarter, will finish the last quarter later. Kade was very good, particularly in the first quarter, but he was involved in a lot of plays that lead to scoring shots/goals. Haven't seen him make a turn over yet, and he has somewhere around ten possessions, maybe a bit more. Winning most of his ball loose on the outside, but got a clearance or two as well. Showing good hands and thinking his way through his possessions. Just the one poor kick I have seen so far, but that still went to its intended target. Pretty good game from him so far. :thumbsu:

Taswegian, just watchedthe first half and half of the third quarter, will finish the last quarter later. Kade was very good, particularly in the first quarter, but he was involved in a lot of plays that lead to scoring shots/goals. Haven't seen him make a turn over yet, and he has somewhere around ten possessions, maybe a bit more. Winning most of his ball loose on the outside, but got a clearance or two as well. Showing good hands and thinking his way through his possessions. Just the one poor kick I have seen so far, but that still went to its intended target. Pretty good game from him so far. :thumbsu:
Thanks thurlow2mackie for your input I am really pleased he is going ok. Cheers!!

Thanks thurlow2mackie for your input I am really pleased he is going ok. Cheers!!
Yep, he's starting to remind me a bit of Thurlow from last year. Was very pleased to see him get an AIS call up. His brother Jake has started the season well for Launceston as well. Not beyond the realms of possibility that both will be drafted this year, but long way to go yet.

The AIS boys are playing against each other in combined AIS/European teams in Copenhagen today (7.30pm our time). Should be a more competitive match compared to the European League game. The AIS is to be split up into two teams combined with some European players. Not sure if there will be footage of this game Dustin Credible? :)

The AIS boys are playing against each other in combined AIS/European teams in Copenhagen today (7.30pm our time). Should be a more competitive match compared to the European League game. The AIS is to be split up into two teams combined with some European players. Not sure if there will be footage of this game Dustin Credible? :)

Ha!, Not going to this one, but that footage came via AFL Europe...if they put some out I'll get it and post it in here. :)

Boyd in ruck and wins it straight away.

How'd he look in the ruck in general?

I was under the impression that he was a pure key forward. Has he been playing in the ruck more generally? Obviously adds a string to his bow.

Tadhg Kennelly's side 2.6 5.7 8.10 9.12 (66)
Michael O'Loughlin's side 0.0 0.2 2.4 6.8 (44)

Goals
Kennelly: Hourigan 3, Campion 2, Tsitas 2, Cutler, Kolodjashnij
O'Loughlin: Boyd, Secher, Sheed, Spina, Di Gorgio, Wasley-Black

Best
Kennelly: Crouch, Taylor, Hourigan, Dunstan, Kolodjashnij, Bontempelli, Robertson, Hunchey
O'Loughlin: Sheed, Perris, Dumont, Wasley-Black, Di Gorgio

I have been told that Kolodjashnij got two goals - he played in the back line.

good to see hourigan do well. is the guy going to be an out and out key forward do we think or more of a 2nd or third tall target because of his height (which i think chris had at about 190ish?) it would be good to see more than one good key forward available in the draft

I've got Hourigan at 191.5cm and 91.5kg. Which would be about a 2cm increase since this time last year, but also over 10kg being put on. So he is giving himself every opportunity to play that KPF role. It's hard to say where that leaves him though, what with the way the game is going at the moment.

At times for Fremantle, Chris Mayne is the #1 guy at full forward. And he is only 188cm. He has others around like Bradley, but Mayne is the main guy when Pavlich is further up the ground. It's more about playing style as opposed to whether you're 190cm or 194cm, and I see no reason why Hourigan couldn't be considered a genuine full forward.

Tadhg Kennelly's side 2.6 5.7 8.10 9.12 (66)
Michael O'Loughlin's side 0.0 0.2 2.4 6.8 (44)

Goals
Kennelly: Hourigan 3, Campion 2, Tsitas 2, Cutler, Kolodjashnij
O'Loughlin: Boyd, Secher, Sheed, Spina, Di Gorgio, Wasley-Black

Best
Kennelly: Crouch, Taylor, Hourigan, Dunstan, Kolodjashnij, Bontempelli, Robertson, Hunchey
O'Loughlin: Sheed, Perris, Dumont, Wasley-Black, Di Gorgio

I have been told that Kolodjashnij got two goals - he played in the back line.

Thanks, Tas. :thumbsu: Looks like he is building up for a solid year. Hopefully someone puts up some footage of this game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just for anyone watching those videos, I thought a little team sheet might be handy...

1. Dwayne Wilson
2. Lewis Taylor
3. Billy Hartung
4. Lloyd Perris
5. Alex Spina
6. James Tsitas
7. Josh Kelly
9. Kade Kolodjashnij
10. Jack Billings
11. Matt Crouch
12. Christian Salem
13. Dom Sheed
14. Trent Dumont
15. Isaiah Miller
16. Nic Bourke
17. Tom Cutler
18. Luke Reynolds
19. Nick Robertson
20. Ben Lennon
21. Erin Wasley-Black
22. Luke Dunstan
23. Marcus Bontempelli
24. Matthew Scharenberg
25. Dallas Willsmore
27. Cain Tickner
28. Darcy Hourigan
30. Tom Boyd

In terms of the key position prospects, Tom Boyd was leading the ruck against the Europeans with Tom Cutler giving him a hand. When they weren't rucking, Boyd was up forward and Cutler was down back. Cain Tickner seemed to be holding down the full back position, while basically everyone else was rotating through the midfield and forward line including the two South Australian talls Matt Scharenberg and Darcy Hourigan.

thanks chris.

at the moment it sounds like boyd then daylight until the next key forward, and usually thats the way a draft pans out with the rest being more prospects. i really enjoy the key forwards of the game they make football a great game to watch, hopefully hourigan can step up this year.

Still plenty of time to go. This time last year, Tim O'Brien was playing as a KPD/ruck in the SANFL U18s and was more potential than anything else. It wasn't until the Championships that he really stood up, and was regarded as a true KPF option.

And I quite like some of the unheralded talls out of SA this year. Mitch Harvey is one I'd like to see get a chance at FF for South Australia. He is 196cm and 104kg, still has a long way to go particularly in regards to his general fitness but he has shown some promising signs. Ryan Simister is one who can play both in the ruck and up forward. I wouldn't mind seeing Luke Andruszkiewicz play more around the forward 50. All it takes is for one player from each state to stand up, and the group is looking a lot better.

Don't forget Cam Conlon either. I'm still a fan of his, playing that ruck/forward role.

Just for anyone watching those videos, I thought a little team sheet might be handy...

1. Dwayne Wilson
2. Lewis Taylor
3. Billy Hartung
4. Lloyd Perris
5. Alex Spina
6. James Tsitas
7. James Kelly
9. Kade Kolodjashnij
10. Jack Billings
11. Matt Crouch
12. Christian Salem
13. Dom Sheed
14. Trent Dumont
15. Isaiah Miller
16. Nic Bourke
17. Tom Cutler
18. Luke Reynolds
19. Nick Robertson
20. Ben Lennon
21. Erin Wasley-Black
22. Luke Dunstan
23. Marcus Bontempelli
24. Matthew Scharenberg
25. Dallas Willsmore
27. Cain Tickner
28. Darcy Hourigan
30. Tom Boyd

In terms of the key position prospects, Tom Boyd was leading the ruck against the Europeans with Tom Cutler giving him a hand. When they weren't rucking, Boyd was up forward and Cutler was down back. Cain Tickner seemed to be holding down the full back position, while basically everyone else was rotating through the midfield and forward line including the two South Australian talls Matt Scharenberg and Darcy Hourigan.
Just in regards to this, this profile sheet has nice, short write-ups on all of them. :thumbsu:

Still plenty of time to go. This time last year, Tim O'Brien was playing as a KPD/ruck in the SANFL U18s and was more potential than anything else. It wasn't until the Championships that he really stood up, and was regarded as a true KPF option.

And I quite like some of the unheralded talls out of SA this year. Mitch Harvey is one I'd like to see get a chance at FF for South Australia. He is 196cm and 104kg, still has a long way to go particularly in regards to his general fitness but he has shown some promising signs. Ryan Simister is one who can play both in the ruck and up forward. I wouldn't mind seeing Luke Andruszkiewicz play more around the forward 50. All it takes is for one player from each state to stand up, and the group is looking a lot better.

Don't forget Cam Conlon either. I'm still a fan of his, playing that ruck/forward role.

Chris - who do you see Freo looking at this year and who should we be looking out for? Obviously we missed obrien this year but got Smith, but I'm sure we will target some more KP's this draft ...

I can also imagine us going after a few other options such as Black who cant get into the 1st side, and then the likes of Frawley/Taylor/Watts etc as well ... Clearly Pav needs some support (still dark that Clarke ended up at Melbourne)

cheers

I'm sure Fremantle will be looking at talls once again. We started last year with Smith, Hannath and the three rookie talls. But I'd imagine it will be our focus this year too, although I always say that and Fremantle always draft a small. So...

At this very early stage, Cameron Conlon and Darcy Hourigan are the two talls who may end up around the last first round area. Conlon being one of those Mitch Clark type forwards/ruck, and Hourigan being almost like a taller Chris Mayne type. Otherwise, I'm sure they'd love either of the local WA midfielders - Robertson and Sheed. But hopefully we'll finish too high to get them.

And while we do have Alex Forster developing, it wouldn't surprise me if they looked at another skillful half back type. Ben Lennon, Trent Dumont or even a Christian Salem could be options in that regard. With Lennon being Goddard-ish, Dumont more along the Beau Waters line and Salem in that Duffield mould.

All except Kolodjashnij :eek: Typical :(

Here is what Tom Boyd thinks of Kolodjashnij, written in his blog of Europe.

Spotlight on: Kade Kolodjashnij. It can sometimes be a bit tough to quickly fit into a new side, particularly when you're a late inductee and the only member of the squad from Tasmania. But Kade has done it really well this tour. Not only is he a really good player, his laidback nature and Tassie slang is always a welcome addition to any conversation. He's also a dead-ringer in playing style for Grant Birchall. Check it out through the season.

when i watched freo lose to the bombers recently the first thing that struck me was freo will struggle to have any success in finals or finals type games with a forward line like they have.

interesting to note that in the 2013 prospects thread a link to the vic metro players academy now lists conlon at 198cm, so moving into ruck height.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back