Universal Love Al Clarkson - an awesome coach but an even better person

Remove this Banner Ad

Today, in one of the darker days for the sport our coach showed not only why he is such a great coach but why he is such a great leader.

The fact that he can micro manage the level of coaching excellence on the field AS WELL AS show the kind of genuine humanity and caring for everybody outside the game means I would not swap him for anyone who has ever coached the game before.

His gesture tonight is something that I'll remember for a long long time.

Well done Clarko

He is a brilliant man Clarko. Like every brilliant person he has his flaws, he acknowledges them and compared to his strengths and character they're so insignificant.

The guy will end up a legend of the HFC and the AFL who will have had such a great impact on many people within this industry. I am so proud to have this man leading our club.

As you can see, I live in London, am a Brit who lived in Melbourne for a good few years but see the game as the best there is. My colleagues and friends either dismiss the game and people therein in cliches or do not understand it. There is an exception to those who show some interest and look beyond the surface and that is a question I've been asked by a number of them to the extent it is a joke in a group I regularly meet. The question is always asked whenever a decision needs to be made or an alternative needs to be found and is always asked in a positive way; it is "What would Clarko do?".

They don't know him, know little about him other than my telling them, but as a group of educated and fairly successful people, they recognise a leader and an inspiration when presented with one.

This fella transcend sports, geography, rivalry and is a true champion with personal flaws he both recognises and acknowledges. The AFL should beg him to lead our game when he finishes with us.

Thought the gesture was touching, Al is a smart man! Cometti was saying he was wonderful ... So glad we did this as a team.life is so fragile.. Also glad no team songs etc weren't played.the minute silence in the beginning was chilling.in clarko we trust.....

It was outstanding conduct last night from the two coaches, their players and both clubs. Fans were very respectful too. Huge respect for NB. He is growing in stature both as a coach and a person.
Everyone is feeling their own mortality after this tragic event.
As many have said...give everyone you care about a hug and tell them you love them. And be kind and generous, even to strangers.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Not sure he's a great guy, but it was a touching gesture.

Well done to him and the club.
I met him the night before we beat Freo in GF.
It was about 5:30pm, my kids spotted him and went over to talk to him. He could not have been any better with his time.
This is less than 24hrs before he coaches a Grand Final

Sorry turned the TV off pretty much as the final siren went (Dad duties to attend to). Was the circle in the centre off the cuff by Clarko or had the AFL organised it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today, in one of the darker days for the sport our coach showed not only why he is such a great coach but why he is such a great leader.

The fact that he can micro manage the level of coaching excellence on the field AS WELL AS show the kind of genuine humanity and caring for everybody outside the game means I would not swap him for anyone who has ever coached the game before.

His gesture tonight is something that I'll remember for a long long time.

Well done Clarko
YEP AGREED I WILL NEVER FORGET WHAT HAPPENED AT THE END OF THE GAME FRIDAY NIGHT EVER EITHER , IT WAS AN HONOUR TO BE THERE AND WITNESS IT

Sorry turned the TV off pretty much as the final siren went (Dad duties to attend to). Was the circle in the centre off the cuff by Clarko or had the AFL organised it?
Clarko and Bucks talked about it before the game no player was told except the captains before they ran or or pre warm up ?? so i am told other players found out at end of game, heard may have been Clarkos idea??

Clarko had approached Bucks before the game about doing it. Nothing to do witht he AFL - it never is.

So who's idea was it to repeat this at all the weekends games?

No but they and the MSM will claim it was.
Already have going by the commentators calling it a "tribute organised by the AFL" when the Ess/St.K guys went into a huddle.

Nonetheless its something fitting and dignified initiated by a true friend of Walsh. Well done Clarko for that (and everyone else).

I thought the circle was great, well done to Ckarko and both clubs. Also Geelong exceptional move to give up a crack at 4 vital points.

Got to say though the Bigfooty fapping is a little OTT. I couldn't have even confidently named who was Adelaide's coach until this happened. Now Bigfooty has declared the poor bloke "an inspiration" for not entirely clear reasons.

The sad thing really is for parents; I know a lot of people who've done their best to raise kids well, put all they can into it, and it can still go so badly wrong. Very sad for that family.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back