Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New England Patriots, Man City
Where does he rank in the all time greatest VFL/AFL coaches rankings ?

Its all subjective, but for me is now in the all time top 3, and certainly the greatest coach the league has seen since Norm Smith.

The fact he is now Hawthorn's all time most successful coach now (including luminaries John Kennedy and Yabby Jeans) speaks volumes for Clarko's legacy.

Worryingly he probably still has a flag or two left in him at Hawthorn.

Lets seem him replicate it at an interstate club, before claiming he is in the top 3.

Yep. He is now in the conversation with the likes of Tom Hafey, Leigh Matthews, David Parkin, Allan Jeans, John Kennedy, Kevin Sheedy and Ron Barassi as a truly great coach.

Norm Smith probably has them all covered but well before any of us were around to really know.
Some of these coaches won premierships at two different clubs and in two different eras.
Leigh Matthews and David Parkin are marvels for doing that.
How many other coaches back in history coached winning premierships teams at more than one club ?
Actually Parkin is pretty impressive considering he won a flag in 1978 at Hawks, then Carlton back to back in 81 and 82, got Fitzroy to 3rd in 1986 and another at Carlton in 1995 with completely different side to his previous Carlton flags.

I was thinking today how all 3 GF opponents have had such different styles and Clarkson has beat them all. The Dockers with the ultra defensive gameplan, Sydney who were strong favourites with their team of mega stars, and finally the attacking and free flowing Eagles.

Lets seem him replicate it at an interstate club, before claiming he is in the top 3.

No doubt a brilliant coach, but the Hawks are well resourced and have MCG advantage.
He totally rebuilt that side in 2004/2005 along with Dicker and Kennett.
So when he came across he took over from a rabble of a side and turned it into a machine

Started from nothing. In hindsight it might have benefited him as he could impart his own ideas to some fresh minds, ready to be molded. Realised his mistakes over a couple of years of failure, nearly got the chop and had to rebuild a side again. I am continuously impressed by his achievements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats to Clarko and he needs to be up there, no doubt. 4 x flag winner now, he's had a terrific side under his reign but he has built a lot of that side since the 2004 draft with Lewis, Roughead and Franklin.

The true success of him is bearing fruit more so now in that 5 of his proteges have become senior coaches.

No doubt a brilliant coach, but the Hawks are well resourced and have MCG advantage.
Seriously you guys should go after him.

Where does he rank in the all time greatest VFL/AFL coaches rankings ?

Its all subjective, but for me is now in the all time top 3, and certainly the greatest coach the league has seen since Norm Smith.

The fact he is now Hawthorn's all time most successful coach now (including luminaries John Kennedy and Yabby Jeans) speaks volumes for Clarko's legacy.

Worryingly he probably still has a flag or two left in him at Hawthorn.

Yabby won 4 and lost 5.

St kilda W1 L2
Hawks W3 L2

Is revered at Hawthorn along with Kanga Kennedy, But Clarkson is now there with them. Equal in my opinion, which is massive in it self.

Yabby won 4 and lost 5.

St kilda W1 L2
Hawks W3 L2

Is revered at Hawthorn along with Kanga Kennedy, But Clarkson is now there with them. Equal in my opinion, which is massive in it self.

Yabby's fingerprints all over the two that Alan Joyce was at the helm for. I reckon most non-HFC fans would probably think of those 5 as being all Jeans' work.

What makes Clarko great is his ability to recognise his own mistakes as he tactically evolves from season to season. He gets plenty wrong along the way but he's not afraid to take chances. Other clubs switch coaches in hope of getting a different set of skills and direction. Clarkson has achieved this with stability at the top whilst assistants come and go.

Yep. He is now in the conversation with the likes of Tom Hafey, Leigh Matthews, David Parkin, Allan Jeans, John Kennedy, Kevin Sheedy and Ron Barassi as a truly great coach.

Norm Smith probably has them all covered but well before any of us were around to really know.
Some of these coaches won premierships at two different clubs and in two different eras.
Leigh Matthews and David Parkin are marvels for doing that.
How many other coaches back in history coached winning premierships teams at more than one club ?
Actually Parkin is pretty impressive considering he won a flag in 1978 at Hawks, then Carlton back to back in 81 and 82, got Fitzroy to 3rd in 1986 and another at Carlton in 1995 with completely different side to his previous Carlton flags.
Allan Jeans is not to be discounted lightly, took the saints to their only GF win in 66 and GF's in 65 and 71. Retired for 5 years in 76 and came to Hawthorn in 81 coaching the Hawks to 7 straight GF's missing 88 and 91 through illness he very much had his hands on 5 Hawthorn Premierships and 8 GF appearances. Who is the greatest between Jeans and Clarkson, and Kennedy for what he started. It is still subjective as to who is Hawthorns greatest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back