"Alastair Cook is so far up himself he thinks he's the only one that can do the job" - Boycott

Remove this Banner Ad

Has to be a good thing for us if something close to the status quo is maintained over there.

I think Boycott is exactly right with Strauss being too matey with Cook for the job. In another 5 or 10 years he would've been a good choice but he's got too many ties with the current squad atm.

Vaughan would've been my choice. He's been pretty outspoken about the establishment and there would have been changes. Also brings a more attacking mindset towards things.

I'm torn. I want attacking, exciting cricket from both sides this Ashes. I want 2005 again, albeit with a different result. I don't think we get that if Moores, Strauss, Cook and co are there - but I do think we get the result.

As said above strauss getting the gig is great for us, he seemingly spends every minute during his drab commentary stints defending his under performing mates in the team and hopefully he does the same in this job but at least now we won't have to hear him talking about for 30 minutes at a time.

Cook is rubbish as both a batter and a captain. Probably more rubbish as a leader than a batter though. He comes across as Prince Charles and considering a leader of an international sporting side should surely either demand respect or push confidence, he does neither and comes across as pompous twat Douglas Jardine-like. At least old Dougy produced!

If Strauss gets the job, we win 5-0. Strauss created part of the problem with English cricket (hey I thought they were ontop a few years ago lulz). It is bizarre. They had the ability to dominate cricket for 5+ years not so much because they were a good side but because everyone else was largely crap (Saffers aside).

Looking at the recent test side for the series against the Windies and is this their attempt at Generation Next? Moeen Ali? Broad and Anderson have been waining for years now with the former almost rubbish.

Bringing Trott back in? I am a major fan due to his cricketing skills and his ability/desire to push back into international cricket through mental illness however what about Adam Lyth? Trott never was part of Generation Next so...why?

To be fair, they have a few good players. A middle order of Ballance (jet), Bell and Root is potentially better than what Australian can produce post-Michael Clarke. The top of the order sucks with whoever Cook partners. They play one of the better attacking bats in world cricket (Jos Buttler) at 8 which is way too low. It is like Adam Gilchrist forging a career batting with tail-enders.

For the pure theatrics. Bring back KP. Unlike most English players, he scores runs when his team needs him to. Unlike Strauss who made a career of sucking wang, being the golden child (seriously Strauss and Atherton on commentary together is the epitome of two talentless know it alls) and being pretty damn s**t.

That stated, if the ECB want to go with a rubbish wang-sucker like Strauss, works for me.

My world cricket hat on, pick Vaughan. They guy is a jet, a great cricketing mind (who the * dare beat Australia over 5 tests in 2005) and was a great bat who most importantly, won games.

It's hardly surprising if Cook does think that - though Boycs is being very harsh - as the ECB have spoonfed him and petted him and made as big a fuss over him as though he's their first grandchild. He's not the sharpest tool in ths kit, what else is he supposed to think given that?

Vaughan would be perfect for them, for that reason I hope they go with Strauss.

England continue to be a rabble, Vaughan stays in the media. Win win.

Vaughan was a terrific captain and has a good natured persona which makes him a good commentator. However, I do tend to find that his views seem a little populist - loves giving the fans the outrage they want to hear.

Not sure what the benefit of Cook stepping down now would be? Who on earth captains then? I don't think that burdening Root at a time where he is flourishing is a smart idea. Broad is terribly out of form. Bell from all reports is a Damien Martyn type when it comes to leadership, preferring to stay in the background away from the media crap.

Vaughan was a terrific captain and has a good natured persona which makes him a good commentator. However, I do tend to find that his views seem a little populist - loves giving the fans the outrage they want to hear.

Not sure what the benefit of Cook stepping down now would be? Who on earth captains then? I don't think that burdening Root at a time where he is flourishing is a smart idea. Broad is terribly out of form. Bell from all reports is a Damien Martyn type when it comes to leadership, preferring to stay in the background away from the media crap.

Imagine Root or Broad captaining, it would be a wonderful train wreck.

Having one of those two would really bring cricket back to the 'common' man' in the UK....

He's a good batsman but his record against Australia is pretty bad. 5 series and only once has he averaged above 28.

Oh yeh, that one time in Australia when he averaged 130 and England won the Ashes in Australia for the first time in over twenty years. And he made scores of 235, 189, 148, 82 and 67 to be the most influential man in an Ashes winning series on Australian soil.

Having one of those two would really bring cricket back to the 'common' man' in the UK....

What's your issue with Root? Some might have said the same about Clarke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vaughan is like Shane Warne. He has got all these idea's but will never take a job because his media lifestyle is too good. Doesnt want to sacrifice himself and give up the lifestyle. He see him in twitter and instagram and year round he is on holiday and getting drunk almost every night.

Boycott doesnt want Strauss for 2 reason.. 1) he is close to Cook and 2) he hates KP

Oh yeh, that one time in Australia when he averaged 130 and England won the Ashes in Australia for the first time in over twenty years. And he made scores of 235, 189, 148, 82 and 67 to be the most influential man in an Ashes winning series on Australian soil.
He may have destroyed us in that series, but England would be much happier with a bloke who averaged between 40 and 45 in each of his five series against us.... Rather than his current output which has seen be s**t against us 80% of the time but totally destroy that one series (when we are at our lowest ebb in nearly 30 years).

Someone above mentioned Broad is now bordering on rubbish. Not sure where they get that information from. His average has been on a pretty steady decline for 3 years now.

As for England and Cook - he is a poor captain. No doubt it. That has always been evident. He is far too reactive and now that the quality of his team has gone down, he is getting found a further. A fine batsmen (not great) who is in a very extended rough patch (think that was his first test ton in 2 years the other day), but he just isn't a test cricketing captain.

He may have destroyed us in that series, but England would be much happier with a bloke who averaged between 40 and 45 in each of his five series against us.... Rather than his current output which has seen be s**t against us 80% of the time but totally destroy that one series (when we are at our lowest ebb in nearly 30 years).

Completely agree. One very good series where he batted well against Siddle and Hilfenhaus doesn't mean all his failures can be ignored. He's a talented batsman, but his record against Australia is poor.

Marcus North averaged 110 in a series. I guess that makes him an outstanding batsman ...

Completely agree. One very good series where he batted well against Siddle and Hilfenhaus doesn't mean all his failures can be ignored. He's a talented batsman, but his record against Australia is poor.

Marcus North averaged 110 in a series. I guess that makes him an outstanding batsman ...
What point do you want to make? Cook is an outstanding batsman. Most great batman have one statistical anomaly in their record.

I love the idea that Strauss has the job, Vaughan declined, Stewart was a wild-card - yet nowhere has the job description ever been made clear as to exactly what this Director Of English Cricket will do. No one in England has seen it either.

Is he purely a media head - take the press conference when the team loses to protect the players?
Is he the sole selector - picks coach and players?
Does he schmooze the bigwigs to try and swing the next big TV deal?
Is he responsible in setting up a direct development path involving youth teams, academies and the like?

What does he do? And if he's not the coach or a player - what difference can he make?

England could do a lot worse than have Broad as captain, atleast he shows some heart.

Don't know how he'd go tactically, though.

Really? I haven't seen him do anything that makes him come across that way.

I would describe Jade Dernbach or even Stuart Broad as 'petulant', but Root? Nah.

Disagree completely but each to their own.

End of the day he is nowhere near mature enough to be captain. Hence my origianl comment, it would be a disaster for England if he was made skip, which I would enjoy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back