Past Albert Proud (2007-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

I make no comment on this specific case, but a general comment on people making sweeping statements unaware of the full story.

I've unfortunately found myself in an ordinary spot and that has included a little time away and more than likely more coming. I'm not stupid, yet I've made many stupid mistakes. Having been in a fairly ordinary place - think riots over cigarettes in June - I met many, many people that I would not have encountered in my normal life. I found that the overwhelming majority 99% were not bad people - all of us had made mistakes - some heinous - and worthy of punishment - but very few just plain bad inside. What I also found is that the same % (including me) were there because of some action or event in their past that had led them to the spot they were in now.

My advice is certainly feel sorrow for any victim of crime, but be wary of jumping to conclusions about the other side. Jails are allegedly run by Corrections Agencies, it's a fallacy - there is no correcting going on only more corrupting. I hope Albert gets the help that he needs - unfortunately sometimes it's only when your entire world collapses that you admit the truth - some never do.

I make no comment on this specific case, but a general comment on people making sweeping statements unaware of the full story.

I've unfortunately found myself in an ordinary spot and that has included a little time away and more than likely more coming. I'm not stupid, yet I've made many stupid mistakes. Having been in a fairly ordinary place - think riots over cigarettes in June - I met many, many people that I would not have encountered in my normal life. I found that the overwhelming majority 99% were not bad people - all of us had made mistakes - some heinous - and worthy of punishment - but very few just plain bad inside. What I also found is that the same % (including me) were there because of some action or event in their past that had led them to the spot they were in now.

My advice is certainly feel sorrow for any victim of crime, but be wary of jumping to conclusions about the other side. Jails are allegedly run by Corrections Agencies, it's a fallacy - there is no correcting going on only more corrupting. I hope Albert gets the help that he needs - unfortunately sometimes it's only when your entire world collapses that you admit the truth - some never do.
Not sure if this is right time to be contextualising Proud's current situation considering his girlfriend is currently in hospital with critical injuries.

Dunno how you can defend a bloke who tried to belt his girlfriend to death. Hope he gets what's coming to him. People who beat women are the lowest of the low.

Clearly the ability to read and understand is beyond some - I cannot see anywhere were i defended his actions or expressed anything but concern and well wishes for the victim.

You make a sweeping statement about people making a comment on your post.

In the first paragraph you tell us not to make a comment when we don't know the full story. Knowing the full story can't justify his actions so it is irrelevant if we don't know it. What he did was heinous and I hope he gets locked up for it.

Clearly the ability to read and understand is beyond some - I cannot see anywhere were i defended his actions or expressed anything but concern and well wishes for the victim.

One of those hot button issues where people get so riled up any form of...empathy, I guess, towards the perpetrator and his circumstances results in people being offended.

Domestic violence is a terrible plague in this country. I hope she wakes up and gets better and I hope as a collective we can teach young men how to manage their emotions and behaviours to allow for this awful epidemic to end.

One of those hot button issues where people get so riled up any form of...empathy, I guess, towards the perpetrator and his circumstances results in people being offended.

Domestic violence is a terrible plague in this country. I hope she wakes up and gets better and I hope as a collective we can teach young men how to manage their emotions and behaviours to allow for this awful epidemic to end.
Honestly it's not that difficult to not belt your mrs. Seriously it's not that ******* hard to keep your emotions in check. Alcohol isn't an excuse either. If you know you struggle to keep it together when you drink then don't drink. It isn't rocket science. drunk sober or whatever he has no excuse and deserves the full extent of the law.

Most of you guys probably don't know that Albert has been playing QAFL Div 1 footy for the Wilston-Grange Gorillas this year, and he's going sensationally well.

I've watched Proudy play several times this year, including last Saturday where he was one of the best on when the Gorillas smashed the second-placed Wests Magpies by 10 goals in a qualifying final at Yeronga. He's fit, fast and lean, never seen him in better shape, and still terrorising blokes with his attack on the ball or man. Makes you think, again, what could have been.....

I know that the boys absolutely love playing with Alby, the club's President can't speak more highly of him, and he might just win a QAFL flag this year.

Anyway, it's a great story of redemption, hopefully Alby stays fit and healthy, but more importantly, happy.
Wonder how the club and his mates are coping with what has happened.
Would be a terrible thing for them to deal with.

Wonder how the club and his mates are coping with what has happened.
Would be a terrible thing for them to deal with.

Ceebee, I'm sure the Wilston Grange boys would be very concerned about the victim, and extremely disappointed and disgusted with Proud.

However, Proud only played the one season for the club so there's not a big emotional connection there with the players or the club.

I actually thought he had got his s**t together, but clearly, and tragically, he was not even close to doing that.

Ceebee, I'm sure the Wilston Grange boys would be very concerned about the victim, and extremely disappointed and disgusted with Proud.

However, Proud only played the one season for the club so there's not a big emotional connection there with the players or the club.

I actually thought he had got his s**t together, but clearly, and tragically, he was not even close to doing that.
Yes .their would only be disgust for Proud and support for the poor victim.
A leopard never changes its spots it seems.
Just tragic.
Let's hope she recovers well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly it's not that difficult to not belt your mrs. Seriously it's not that ******* hard to keep your emotions in check. Alcohol isn't an excuse either. If you know you struggle to keep it together when you drink then don't drink. It isn't rocket science. drunk sober or whatever he has no excuse and deserves the full extent of the law.

Oh, do not get me wrong, he'll be hit with the full extent of the law and deservedly so. But it's worth mentioning that for men like you and me, it's easy to keep emotions in check. For Mr. Proud, who knows where he came from? Did he grow up in poverty? Did he have an alcoholic father? Was the home situation there abusive? Was his role model at home growing up someone of disputable character? Hell, did he have one? None of these excuse his horrific actions but they at least give a context, and we need to find ways to reach these sorts of men, because with two deaths a week for women this year in Australia due to DV, our current solution doesn't seem to work.

Friends raise money for Richelle Kadadi, girlfriend of ex-Lion Albert Proud

Friends of Richelle Kadadi, the badly injured girlfriend of former Brisbane Lions player Albert Proud, have set up a fundraising appeal for the 35-year-old.

Ms Kadadi remains in the Princess Alexandra Hospital with severe head injuries, with police alleging Mr Proud bashed her at their Sunnybank home on Sunday.

Mr Proud was charged with attempted murder by police and is in custody.

Ms Kadadi's supporters have created a GoFundMe online appeal page, setting a target of $50,000.

"Given the gravity of the situation, we think that a good way to help would be to raise as much money as possible to give her the help she needs for things like her bills and living expenses and whatever else she needs," page creator Suzie Tafolo wrote.

They have raised $5000 in less than 24 hours.

Thought this was relevant.

I think there is a lot in this post and DS other post and I acknowledge the honesty of wr in providing an insight into his situation and that of other people caught up in the prison system. It's complicated

I write this as a poster who for about five year had the White Ribbon logo as my signature, who has a business relationship with one of the key Family Violence Prevention agencies and who also also worked with prisoners in rehabilitation. As I said it's complicated.

I feel disgust with what Albert did. I have seen the effects on victims at the coal face of Family Violence. But in the end to stop this plague with have to try to understand what drives men to these terrible acts and that's empathy I suppose.

As well as donating to support the young women and her child, I suggest all male posters check out http://www.whiteribbon.org.au/. White Ribbon day is 25 November

I think this is a conversation where that difference between "excuse" and "reason" is important. There might be reasons why Proud is in the type of situation where he'd commit an act like this. But they don't necessarily excuse his behaviour. I think it is possible to be understanding of his situation while still condemning his actions. However, this makes it critical to be sensitive in how you express your opinions. Failing to acknowledge that committing an act of domestic violence is pretty much inexcusable is a fast track to getting people very upset.

I'm all for having a conversation about mental illness, alcoholism and the social circumstances that increase the prevalence of domestic violence. But man, if you are going to do so on the back of a woman getting hurt to the point of near death, you'd want to be highly sensitive and nuanced in how you do it.

I think this is a conversation where that difference between "excuse" and "reason" is important. There might be reasons why Proud is in the type of situation where he'd commit an act like this. But they don't necessarily excuse his behaviour. I think it is possible to be understanding of his situation while still condemning his actions. However, this makes it critical to be sensitive in how you express your opinions. Failing to acknowledge that committing an act of domestic violence is pretty much inexcusable is a fast track to getting people very upset.

I'm all for having a conversation about mental illness, alcoholism and the social circumstances that increase the prevalence of domestic violence. But man, if you are going to do so on the back of a woman getting hurt to the point of near death, you'd want to be highly sensitive and nuanced in how you do it.
Wow that is one of the best posts I have ever seen on Bigfooty. You articulated your thoughts really well and it is clear that it is a well thought out, educated post. Deserves more than a like:thumbsu:

It's really starting to s**t me off that every time this idiot's name is brought up in the news paper, they're all too happy to continue calling him 'Former Brisbane Lion player Albert Proud".

http://www.news.com.au/national/que...e/news-story/6b939ee902fed63c9014be7952fb960d

FFS, he played 29 games over 3 seasons, the last of those being 6 years ago.

I hope the new kids in the team get shown this as a method of explaining how your own stupid actions can continue tarnish the reputation of others long after you've gone.

It's really starting to s**t me off that every time this idiot's name is brought up in the news paper, they're all too happy to continue calling him 'Former Brisbane Lion player Albert Proud".

http://www.news.com.au/national/que...e/news-story/6b939ee902fed63c9014be7952fb960d

FFS, he played 29 games over 3 seasons, the last of those being 6 years ago.

I hope the new kids in the team get shown this as a method of explaining how your own stupid actions can continue tarnish the reputation of others long after you've gone.

I'm more irritated by the fact they keep referring to him as a "star".

I'm more irritated by the fact they keep referring to him as a "star".
Thank god I'm not the only one. Hopefully he'll be found guilty so he can get locked up and we won't have to hear about him for a bit!

On the other hand, I'm also glad that the ex-girlfriend seems to be doing okay now. That must've been a frightening experience for her!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back