Alex Keath - Switching back to Aussie Rules?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ashton Agar

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 20, 2013
Test Cricket
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
LIVERPOOL, Sydney FC, Nottm Forest
Alex Keath has lost his contract with Cricket Victoria, and IMO he isn't a good enough standard to get back. Wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a category B contract with an AFL club. Or maybe join a VFL club and try and work his way into the AFL system through the draft.

Discuss.

23 yo, 196cm...
1430303972562.jpg

Doesnt look a KP build with those arms...Id say he'd be playing VFL for a few seasons before someone had a crack at him when hes 25 or older.

Should of stuck to one or the other.

He makes Jack Watts look like Hulk Hogan.

Unfortunately it's too late for him with that body type, even in a professional environment he'd need a good 2-3 years to get the required body shape let alone if he's good enough.

Article in the Age says he has no interest in trying out for afl, so this looks like (another) nothing story.

Interesting that he has had 14 clubs stay in contact with him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He makes Jack Watts look like Hulk Hogan.

Unfortunately it's too late for him with that body type, even in a professional environment he'd need a good 2-3 years to get the required body shape let alone if he's good enough.
Is he much different to what Blicavs was when Geelong signed him up?

He should go on the next version of The Recruit.

I reckon this could be very damaging for Cricket, as any kid with the choice will look at Alex and think cricket isnt worth the risk. If he wants to I am certain almost clubs would give him a rookie spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should never have chosen cricket. Went there for the lure of the big $$$ associated with the IPL.
No, he simply loves cricket more.

Is he much different to what Blicavs was when Geelong signed him up?

Yeah, he's not an Olympic-level athlete for one...

I reckon this could be very damaging for Cricket, as any kid with the choice will look at Alex and think cricket isnt worth the risk.

Or they could look at Mitch Marsh, and think it is "worth it".

It's all about actually being good enough. Keath seems like he's got a reasonable record for an all-rounder from limited exposure, so there's no reason why he can't get another look at state level somewhere. Even if he needs to have a year or two at grade level, his cricket career is not "over" just because the Bushrangers didn't recontract him and he hasn't quite "made it" so far at state level. If it was "state level or bust" for cricketers, the grade system in each state wouldn't exist.

Last edited:
And let's be honest, it's much harder to succeed in cricket than AFL. In Australia, there are triple the AFL sides with double the size that play in the seniors. 18 teams, 22 players a team, vs 6 teams with 11 per side.

He should go on the next version of The Recruit.

I reckon this could be very damaging for Cricket, as any kid with the choice will look at Alex and think cricket isnt worth the risk. If he wants to I am certain almost clubs would give him a rookie spot.

And Mitch Marsh would be earning nearly as much as Lance Franklin.

As a cricketer Keath's biggest problem is that he's just a bit of a no-rounder. As a junior and at grade level where the talent is more diluted he's excellent in both his batting and his bowling but up a level neither are dominant enough to hold his place. Just inbetween grades; I doubt he'll get there. As a footballer his size presents an issue but not a major one; look at Michael Johnson and Dustin Fletcher - those rangy type defenders can play a role in the game. If you're good enough you'll make it.

As a cricketer Keath's biggest problem is that he's just a bit of a no-rounder. As a junior and at grade level where the talent is more diluted he's excellent in both his batting and his bowling but up a level neither are dominant enough to hold his place. Just inbetween grades; I doubt he'll get there. As a footballer his size presents an issue but not a major one; look at Michael Johnson and Dustin Fletcher - those rangy type defenders can play a role in the game. If you're good enough you'll make it.

Also look at his backlift when he's batting

And Mitch Marsh would be earning nearly as much as Lance Franklin.

The cricketers earn insane money, but i reckon for an 18yo kid choosing the difference between earning $400k and $800k is pretty irrelevant, as both seseem like insane coin. They will be more after the glory and it will become a choice between wanting an AFL flag or a baggy green... Probably only 4 new baggy greens are handed out each year where 24 players get AFL premiership medals every year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back