Toast Alex Pearce

Remove this Banner Ad

Kenny_01

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 19, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Deserves its own thread. For anyone worried about our defence post McPharlin, they need not worry. Hate to jump early but just the way he went about it, it's hard to imagine us not having found a player.

Deft body work, fast, confident, skillful down back and very footy smart. At 199cm, a real find! Can't wait til he develops his body and gains more body/core strength!

Jeeez did I watch the same game? Fair enough its his first game but he was bloody nervous and looked really lost a lot, he kept getting caught up between play and also didn't know when to mark or spoil. He looks like he has potential though so hopefully he turns into a gun

Good game - seems a natural footballer. Really liked his commitment, and he backed himself to make a decision. He deserves a bit of hype, as playing a key position as a defender is no small task. Lets not go all mental as it was an amazing team defence limiting any effective I50 attacks from the Dons for most of the match. Great to have him on the list in development. Elvis will retire at season end so he will slot in beautifully.

Jeeez did I watch the same game? Fair enough its his first game but he was bloody nervous and looked really lost a lot, he kept getting caught up between play and also didn't know when to mark or spoil. He looks like he has potential though so hopefully he turns into a gun

Sorry mate but I disagree.

He would of got more of it but the ball carrier often chose to go to someone else with more experience. He was good created space plus kept up with the pace of the game.

A project player that deserves another game if Luke isn't 100% fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deserves its own thread. For anyone worried about our defence post McPharlin, they need not worry. Hate to jump early but just the way he went about it, it's hard to imagine us not having found a player.

Deft body work, fast, confident, skillful down back and very footy smart. At 199cm, a real find! Can't wait til he develops his body and gains more body/core strength!

I stopped worrying after watching Peel play East Perth on TV.

I thought that was the most accomplished debut by a Fremantle player since Michael Barlow.

Yes, I do think Alex looked somewhat lost at the start of the game, which was compounded by the refusal of his fellow defenders to involve him in the play - but the most pleasing aspect was that he found the tempo of the match and improved consistently the longer it went. When he started taking intercept marks at the start of the third, I knew his eye was in.

The other striking thing is that he did not make a single mistake. At all. OK, the Bombers forward movement didn't exactly lend itself towards panicked free kicks anyway, but for someone in their first game to make no noticeable clangers or bad decisions is remarkable.

Could it be, after 20 years, that we are finally able to use the Hawthorn and Geelong model of letting our key position draftees develop for a while in the twos so that when their time in the seniors does come that they know the structures and game plan and fit in quite seamlessly?

Now, as Ross said in his presser, one swallow doesn't make a spring and I'm sure there will be frustrating moments with A. Pearce as he develops - but he did very well in what we all hope will be the first in over 200 games...

Lets not forget that Alex is 200cm tall so that height advantage that Daniher is used to throughout his junior footy is completely nullified. There was one moment tonight where I thought Alex had run under the ball but he just stuck his hand up and got to it. Such a reach is awesome for a key defender. 11 one percenters tonight and a lot of them were from using his reach to clear the ball out.

That he also has elite endurance (tested best ever for a key position player at draft camp) and great athleticism augers well for his ability to make the jump.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back