Toast Alex Pearce

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, a poor choice of words. If you say he never clunks a mark, when we have seen that he has, it calls your opinions into question. That's not condescending, it's fact.

He can improve his marking and his presentation, but then so can others who have been playing longer. I wish Ross would change his mind about subbing him out when he plays, similar with Alex today. I would have liked to see him play out the game.
I've watched Taberner fairly closely over the last 18 months both at peel and senior games and I think he has definitely improved his marking.
He was left out of this game because of a poor attack on the ball in one glaring piece of play last week. He failed to get his head over the ball.

I've watched Taberner fairly closely over the last 18 months both at peel and senior games and I think he has definitely improved his marking.
He was left out of this game because of a poor attack on the ball in one glaring piece of play last week. He failed to get his head over the ball.
Taberner was left out because Dawson was available and we need him in and firing. That meant 1 tall had to go.

Taberner was left out because Dawson was available and we need him in and firing. That meant 1 tall had to go.

Yep, he was left out because Ross wanted to get his lovechild back in the team but didn't want to drop Pearce. I half expected Zac D. to line up at Full Forward on the weekend but we got Pearce instead.

Anyway, I guess Tabs will be back in next week if Dawson is suspended. I don't think our other key defenders are fit yet and Lyon is on record saying he rates Tab higher as a pure forward than Clarke.

Did you notice how much better Macpharlin played? Did you think the physicality Dawson brought may be a little useful in a couple of weeks? Did you think it was a poor call to prefer Pearce to Taberner up forward?

Did you notice how much better Macpharlin played? Did you think the physicality Dawson brought may be a little useful in a couple of weeks? Did you think it was a poor call to prefer Pearce to Taberner up forward?

No, not at all. I was pleasantly surprised that Pearce got a chance to play there, I just wasn't expecting it.

I think it's pretty exciting that Ross rates him as a forward option. After all, it's easier to find Key Defenders than key forwards, it's definitely worth giving him another crack up there. Just disappointing he won't be able to do it next week if Dawson is out.

Although who knows, maybe next week we'll play Tabs in defense and Pearce forward?

Yes, yes & no.

4 shots on goal and was subbed out! Bizarre.. Happened to Tab last week as well last week.

Maybe coaching panel don't rate the need for a second tall as much as we do?

To the contrary. They rate him more than us as I think the coaching panel went into preservation mode with Alex. They'd be thinking about the weeks ahead and the likelihood of no Dawson and the need for a young bloke who has played a handful of games to be managed cos we need him to continue to punch above his weight down back for a little while longer until the reinforcements arrive.

So people really think Tabs is the answer to our key forward problems?

People jumping to the defence of Tabs marking ability are stretching it as well. Every contested mark he has taken has bobbled around and hs juggled it and got it.

People jumping to the defence of Tabs marking ability are stretching it as well. Every contested mark he has taken has bobbled around and hs juggled it and got it.
Again, it's just silly to say anything if you're going to make ridiculous comments. It's not every mark. He has clunked plenty in a pack.

He bobbled one a week ago and earned a nomination for mark of the year, so better judges than you can appreciate his marking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again, it's just silly to say anything if you're going to make ridiculous comments. It's not every mark. He has clunked plenty in a pack.

He bobbled one a week ago and earned a nomination for mark of the year, so better judges than you can appreciate his marking.
Well lord of footy why did Tabs get dropped and a 9 game defend take his spot?

Well lord of footy why did Tabs get dropped and a 9 game defend take his spot?
It's been mentioned a few times already. I'm not your secretary.

It's been mentioned a few times already. I'm not your secretary.
Tabs was dropped, and a 9 game defender took his place, purely so Ross's love child could come in....
I think the real reason may be that Tabs is a bit ordinary at the moment ;). A footy lovechild!!! What an AFL scandal!!!

Reginald I really respect your posting oh here btw, I've steered clear of Bigfooty beef so far. So respect.

I'm just concerned with Tabs, I might be wrong but I swear he was playing better at the end of last year.

I was on the Tabernator train for a while, but my optimism is wavering. He is 22 and has trained and played fwd now for a whlie now, and I thought he was progressing nicely but slowly.

AP then comes in and just makes him look second rate (in one game so far) while being 2 years younger with less preseasons.

AP looks more natural, and more lively. Stoked we have him in our team.

I think the real reason may be that Tabs is a bit ordinary at the moment ;). A footy lovechild!!! What an AFL scandal!!!

Reginald I really respect your posting oh here btw, I've steered clear of Bigfooty beef so far. So respect.

I'm just concerned with Tabs, I might be wrong but I swear he was playing better at the end of last year.
Taberner being dropped to accommodate Dawson wasn't what I was talking about. It was mentioned several times that he was most likely being punished for not making a genuine attack on the ball.

Tabs plays a whole lot better when he is getting better delivery because he's no good if the ball is at his ankles.

I think a lot of people fixate on Tabs' weakness (his marking) and don't give enough credit to his strength (his running ability and leading patterns which are very good). He's also a very good field kick for a bloke his size.

He's dropped a lot of marks, but he's also been in the right position to attract the kick a lot of times for a forward with as little experience as he has. I think he's quite promising, but he will take another 2-3 years to realise his full potential. A lot of the reason for his dropped marks is lack of upper body strength, which will come with more time on the list.

I was on the Tabernator train for a while, but my optimism is wavering. He is 22 and has trained and played fwd now for a whlie now, and I thought he was progressing nicely but slowly.

AP then comes in and just makes him look second rate (in one game so far) while being 2 years younger with less preseasons.

AP looks more natural, and more lively. Stoked we have him in our team.

I don't think it's a case of one of the other either. Pavlich is likely playing in his last season, both of them will play forward for us in years to come. How often depends on how Apeness comes on. But Apeness has a long way back now after missing a whole season. He'll have to start all over again in the WAFL.

One thing Tabs has shown is a willingness to improve and develop his game. If you have that desire then you don't need much actual talent. This is true in any field, not just sport. Some people are born with enormous talent, which they piss away (Sylvia). Tabs will be fine, we just need to keep giving him the time to work himself out.

Clearly knew he would be playing back next week with dawsons brain fart - just put him in cotton wool

This is the main part about Dawsons stupidity, we lose a game of forward development for AP before September.

I think a lot of people fixate on Tabs' weakness (his marking) and don't give enough credit to his strength (his running ability and leading patterns which are very good). He's also a very good field kick for a bloke his size.

He's dropped a lot of marks, but he's also been in the right position to attract the kick a lot of times for a forward with as little experience as he has. I think he's quite promising, but he will take another 2-3 years to realise his full potential. A lot of the reason for his dropped marks is lack of upper body strength, which will come with more time on the list.

He also goes to ground to easily. The scuttlebutt at training on Wed was that he would be out because of a lack of attack on the ball .I personally didn't see anything like that in the Richmond game but he was left out of the side.

He definitely lacks physicality. It's something he needs to work on. But if he can improve that then he'll be a dangerous forward because he has the thing that can't really be taught - knowing when and where to lead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back