Toast Alex Pearce

Remove this Banner Ad

Not Enough.

On a completely unrelated subject - Dustin Fletcher is now so old, if he'd have become a father at 20, it would be technically possible for him now to play in the same team with his own son. :eek: Wonder if Alex will have that kind of longevity?
I think I heard somewhere that his son can actually apply for the draft next year?

Not Enough.

On a completely unrelated subject - Dustin Fletcher is now so old, if he'd have become a father at 20, it would be technically possible for him now to play in the same team with his own son. :eek: Wonder if Alex will have that kind of longevity?
Not that rare in amateur footy.

I can remember playing in a game where the opposition team had son, father and grandfather.

The old bugger was the best of the lot. I should know, he kept me kickless all day.

It's a sad day when your aspirations of a glittering career are snuffed out by a 60 year old with a limp.

He didn't start the day with the limp. :)

Last edited:
Looking at the stat Lyon would be most interested in for a key defender. Alex Pearce again had a team high 7 one percenters. In fact Alex Pearce is No 7 in the AFL for one percenters (on average). Averaging 8 one percenters in his three games, just ahead of Tom McDonald and Alex Rance (7.8 and 7.6 respectively), Dustin Fletcher and "wonderboy" McGovern.

Dawson used to be our one percenter hero, Alex could be an immediate upgrade on Dawson given he can dispose of the ball well and make good decisions (although Alex may struggle in one on one´s vs big forwards given his lean frame).

Kid has not put a foot wrong in three games despite everyone analysing him with a magnifying glass ready to bemoan our lack of good key position prospects. Total disposal efficiency across his first three games is 91% average despite being a nervous newbie. On the weekend it was 100% despite trying conditions.

Not wanting to pump the kid up too much, but he has got off to a pretty good start. We all know he is an elite athlete who had the best endurance results for any key forward EVER at draft camp and is a monster at just over 200cm, but his footy nous as a defender and good ball use have me very excited that we have found a "possible" elite talent.

Well done Alex. Fingers crossed for the future!

After watching A Pearce in only his third game of AFL,all of sudden our key defender stocks look a tad more robust.If we can get jonno,Dawson and silvagni all back on the oval in the next two months,we should enter the business end of the season with good cover!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's see how he goes against Cloke/White.

Jesse White looks a million bucks against below par opposition and totally useless matched up against a decent defence, that will tell us where Alex is at.

He has the tools.
Not this season I hope. Cloke is a reasonable contested mark, does beat even the best at it. Once Alex bulks up and practice match sims with Pavlich/Clarke he'll be a force.

Big difference for me - when Zac crashes a pack he hurts others, when Alex does it he hurts himself.

I think comparisons are way premature at the moment, but AP does look like a gun prospect.

Would love to see him given room to move up the ground more once we have some cover in defense.

My mate Zac is a negator pure and simple, as such needs to play to his strengths. If he does that he is a very handy player.

AP seems to be more mobile and is a better mark and a better kick. He has the skills to play a more constructive role for the team than just as a pure stopper. I can see him developing into a swing man who may well be able to provide a few cameos in the forward line from time to time to go with his main role of a key defender.

Given that McPharlin may well be in his last season, and given that Silvagni seems injury prone and Jonno is better utilised as the third tall defender I can see two or three seasons of Dawson at FB, AP at CHB and Jonno playing the Quarter Back role.

IMHO AP has been everything we hoped a young KPD would be. That is not to say he is a hero yet but that he has come in and played his role well. Very happy with that as a start. Plenty of others have not done as well for us in their first 3 games. I don't expect him to win us games but to play his role well enough to help us do so. Super happy with where he is at.

Is already better than Zac Dawson.

Dawson certainly was the king of 1%´s at Freo previously. Pearce has it over him though in terms of disposal and decision making and probably marking (has great hands), he also has the tank to go with the Reiwoldts (15.7 beep).

Dawson would be a lot better one on one at this point though and in playing that lockdown defender against the Cloke´s, Hawkins of the AFL world.

Pearce though is playing his role as the second big defender alongside Mcpharlin very well, providing the support in coming in and using his immense reach to kill contests.

Is already better than Zac Dawson.

I am loving the progression of A Pearce as much as anyone but I know who I would prefer playing on Cloke in our next game and it would not be A Pearce. Dawson is very very valuable against the "monster" forwards, Pearce would be rag dolled.

I am loving the progression of A Pearce as much as anyone but I know who I would prefer playing on Cloke in our next game and it would not be A Pearce. Dawson is very very valuable against the "monster" forwards, Pearce would be rag dolled.

I know who I would want playing on Cloke and it is neither of them. McPharlin would take Cloke and Pearce would take the resting ruckman (Dawsons usual role).

Given that McPharlin may well be in his last season, and given that Silvagni seems injury prone and Jonno is better utilised as the third tall defender I can see two or three seasons of Dawson at FB, AP at CHB and Jonno playing the Quarter Back role.

And how stuffed would we have been if he didn't go around again in 2015...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back