Remove this Banner Ad

bradydaw91

All Australian
Aug 4, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Belconnen
2 key defenders that have grown to prominence in the past two seasons. If you had to choose, which one would you prefer in your side?

I feel Hooker is better at quelling crafty/leaner full forwards like J. Riewoldt and Rance is better on the bigger bodies(minus Cloke 2013).

Rance would have to be ahead at the moment, but hooker became real good last year, both teams would be happy with who they have though

They are both pretty good one on one defensively. Both big, tall strong defenders. I think where they differ markedly is their offensive abilities. Hooker is amazing at intercept marking, in fact in the last 2 years he's been up very high league wide in overall marks. Rance is definitely a better kick though and creates a lot of offense for Richmond. Hooker tends to win the ball back for Essendon then use short kicks or handballs to pass it off to someone like a Hibberd type - a bit like someone like Darren Glass used to do.

I voted Hooker for bias but there's really not much in it and this is one comparison that could change year on year.

They are both pretty good one on one defensively. Both big, tall strong defenders. I think where they differ markedly is their offensive abilities. Hooker is amazing at intercept marking, in fact in the last 2 years he's been up very high league wide in overall marks. Rance is definitely a better kick though and creates a lot of offense for Richmond. Hooker tends to win the ball back for Essendon then use short kicks or handballs to pass it off to someone like a Hibberd type - a bit like someone like Darren Glass used to do.

I voted Hooker for bias but there's really not much in it and this is one comparison that could change year on year.
I hear you mate. There are only 3 types of people who will vote on this
1. Essendon supporter will vote Hooker
2. Richmond supporter will vote Rance
3. West coast supporter will vote Hooker due to Rance edging out Mckenzie for all Australian spot. Still crying and will probably never stop. Sooks.

I hear you mate. There are only 3 types of people who will vote on this
1. Essendon supporter will vote Hooker
2. Richmond supporter will vote Rance
3. West coast supporter will vote Hooker due to Rance edging out Mckenzie for all Australian spot. Still crying and will probably never stop. Sooks.

Funny thing is WC tried to trade for Hooker and he gave them the big middle finger, bloody awesome bloke too.

Good poll. They would make a great combo with Rance taking the hard leading forwards and running the ball out of defense and allow Hooker to play on the gorilla types and cut off opposition entries in the air.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good poll. They would make a great combo with Rance taking the hard leading forwards and running the ball out of defense and allow Hooker to play on the gorilla types and cut off opposition entries in the air.

Now that would be a solid combo

They are both extremely good defenders, although they are very different defenders. Anyone who says one is easily better than the other needs their heads checked or are just being trolls.

Bias is the only thing that makes me say Rance, hence i wont vote

ps. I only click on richmond player v essendon player polls to see what eth-dog has to say. Wasnt as bad as usual this time, although "rance has improved markedly" is about as close to admitting richmond has a fantastic player he/she will go.

Now that would be a solid combo

They are both extremely good defenders, although they are very different defenders. Anyone who says one is easily better than the other needs their heads checked or are just being trolls.

Bias is the only thing that makes me say Rance, hence i wont vote

ps. I only click on richmond player v essendon player polls to see what eth-dog has to say. Wasnt as bad as usual this time, although "rance has improved markedly" is about as close to admitting richmond has a fantastic player he/she will go.
He's a good player, top 10 defender in the league last season but Fantastic? That's a bit overboard.

He's a good player, top 10 defender in the league last season but Fantastic? That's a bit overboard.

Top 10? Lol Top 3 last season easily. AA to back it up.

Top 10? Lol Top 3 last season easily. AA to back it up.
One could argue that MacKenzie, Hooker, Talia, Taylor, Lonergan and Carlile were better players. He was far from "easily" in the top 3, and AA is hardly good reference. Mal Michael was the best FB from 2001-2004 but didn't receive an AA guernsey.

One could argue that MacKenzie, Hooker, Talia, Taylor, Lonergan and Carlile were better players. He was far from "easily" in the top 3, and AA is hardly good reference. Mal Michael was the best FB from 2001-2004 but didn't receive an AA guernsey.

I'm sorry but rance had a better year than lonergan and carlile, he provides more offensive drive than Talia so is more valuable. I know you hate Richmond so you're delusional when it comes to rating our players, but if you want to see why rance is so good, watch the last quarter of our round 23 match against the swans

I'm sorry but rance had a better year than lonergan and carlile, he provides more offensive drive than Talia so is more valuable. I know you hate Richmond so you're delusional when it comes to rating our players, but if you want to see why rance is so good, watch the last quarter of our round 23 match against the swans
I don't hate Richmond. So He had a better year than 2 of the 6 I mentioned in your opinion, which means that he was the 5th best by that measure, correct? Talia was basically the reason Adelaide were in contention for finals, if it weren't for him that defence would have conceded nearly 100 points a game, so not really more valuable to the team. Rance had a very good year, nobody is denying that, but it's hardly "delusional" to say those players had a better year than him.

Hooker, who I assume you rate as the best defender in the competition, conceded 29 goals in 22 games compared to Rance's 23 in 22. Hooker is known as an elite interceptor and ranked 3rd for intercept possessions, Rance ranked 1st. You could make a convincing case for Rance being the best defender this year.

To say Longergan, Talia, Mackenzie and Carlile are better than him is stupid. Despite them all bar Mackenzie being predominantly known as lockdown defenders, Talia conceded 8 more goals than Rance during the H&A season, Lonergan conceded 3 less, Mackenzie conceded 16 more and Carlile 1 more even though he played 5 less games. None of these players even come close to Rance in the amount of rebound he provides.

The only player bar Hooker to come close to Rance in 2014 was Harry Taylor. He wasn't as prolific an interceptor (19th for intercept possessions per game) conceded 1 more goal,and played 1 less game, however he was better at defending 1 on 1 contests.

As much as I hate Richmond, and trust me I really hate them, you have to sit back and admire great players and Rance is one of them whether you like it or not.

Hooker, who I assume you rate as the best defender in the competition, conceded 29 goals in 22 games compared to Rance's 23 in 22. Hooker is known as an elite interceptor and ranked 3rd for intercept possessions, Rance ranked 1st. You could make a convincing case for Rance being the best defender this year.

To say Longergan, Talia, Mackenzie and Carlile are better than him is stupid. Despite them all bar Mackenzie being predominantly known as lockdown defenders, Talia conceded 8 more goals than Rance during the H&A season, Lonergan conceded 3 less, Mackenzie conceded 16 more and Carlile 1 more even though he played 5 less games. None of these players even come close to Rance in the amount of rebound he provides.

The only player bar Hooker to come close to Rance in 2014 was Harry Taylor. He wasn't as prolific an interceptor (19th for intercept possessions per game) conceded 1 more goal,and played 1 less game, however he was better at defending 1 on 1 contests.

As much as I hate Richmond, and trust me I really hate them, you have to sit back and admire great players and Rance is one of them whether you like it or not.

Might want to check your stats again, Rance only played 18 games therefore you have over inflated his averages.

Oops, thanks for that. He still concedes less than Talia, Carlile and Mackenzie.

Except he didn't. This has been done to death and Champion Data provided the stats on here along with them being shown on AA night that Rance averaged more than Hooker. They had virtually the same tally, 1.31 to 1.33 from memory, but it was more. Lonergan was the tall defender to concede the least.

Hooker had the better season. Rance was underrated last year though. Wasn't as bad as some made him out to be.

Back