Alex Rance vs Cale Hooker

Who would you prefer in your side?

• Rance

Votes: 45 57.0%
  • Hooker

Votes: 34 43.0%

• Total voters
Except he didn't. This has been done to death and Champion Data provided the stats on here along with them being shown on AA night that Rance averaged more than Hooker. They had virtually the same tally, 1.31 to 1.33 from memory, but it was more. Lonergan was the tall defender to concede the least.

So they basically conceded the same amount of goals per game, but Rance provides much more offensive drive. So therefore, somehow Hooker is superior. Ok i get it now :drunk:

So they basically conceded the same amount of goals per game, but Rance provides much more offensive drive. So therefore, somehow Hooker is superior. Ok i get it now :drunk:
Hooker had more intercept marks and possessions than any player over the past 2 years, so I don't think you can say that Rance provides more offensive drive. Is it Rance's whopping 0.1 more rebound 50's/game?

Hooker had more intercept marks and possessions than any player over the past 2 years, so I don't think you can say that Rance provides more offensive drive. Is it Rance's whopping 0.1 more rebound 50's/game?

Just use your eyes, you dont need statistics

Just use your eyes, you dont need statistics
Which means you know you're wrong. Some things can't be measured by statistics, but in this case they can be. There's a negligible difference in rebound 50's, and given that Hooker's been the best intercept player in the league for 2 years, you can't say "Rance provides much more offensive drive". He doesn't.

I will, and as such i would have to go Hooker. Troubles Petrie every time we play the Bombers. Petrie continually makes Rance look second rate.

ohhh yeah i forgot one match up decides who the better player is, petrie is hardly a measuring stick lmao rance towels buddy up almost every time we play them, i can show you a fantastic clip of hooker getting burnt by buddy and then claim that makes rance better if youd like?

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
ohhh yeah i forgot one match up decides who the better player is, petrie is hardly a measuring stick lmao rance towels buddy up almost every time we play them, i can show you a fantastic clip of hooker getting burnt by buddy and then claim that makes rance better if youd like?

You said use your eyes, and that is what i did. He has made him look second rate 4 or 5 times in a row now.

Hooker has done the opposite and made Petrie look second rate (notwithstanding the below)

R242014PetrieCelebration.gif

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
If you want to go with that, why not use this example of Rance's fantastic rebound ability?

rance2bennylulz_zps2d52cf94.gif

OhhDeledio

Premiership Player
Jul 30, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Which means you know you're wrong. Some things can't be measured by statistics, but in this case they can be. There's a negligible difference in rebound 50's, and given that Hooker's been the best intercept player in the league for 2 years, you can't say "Rance provides much more offensive drive". He doesn't.

image.jpg

Rance had more intercept possesions and intercept marks than Hooker. Also Hooker had 68 rebounds from 23 games. Rance had 55 from only 18 games. You could argue that Rance had over inflated averages because he played less games, but he could of gotten 3 intercept possesions for each of the 5 games he missed and his average would still be better than Hookers. IMO Rance has been the best intercept player of 2014

Last edited:
View attachment 104175
Rance had more intercept possesions and intercept marks than Hooker. Also Hooker had 68 rebounds from 23 games. Rance had 55 from only 18 games. You could argue that Rance had over inflated averages because he played less games, but Rance could of gotten 1 intercept possesion for the 5 games he missed and his average would of been 6.5. IMO Rance has been the best intercept player of 2014
Hooker had more intercept possessions and marks than Rance. Hooker has been the best intercept player for 2 years. You look at averages, I look at totals. And 55 from 18 in comparison to 68 from 23? That's a negligible difference, if Rance had played 23 games on those averages he would have had a total of 2 more R50. Hooker was the best defender over the last two seasons interception wise (most intercept possessions and marks 2 years in a row) and defensively wise last season as well. Either way there is no definitive way of saying that Rance provides more rebound, the difference either way is negligible.

OhhDeledio

Premiership Player
Jul 30, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Hooker had more intercept possessions and marks than Rance. Hooker has been the best intercept player for 2 years. You look at averages, I look at totals. And 55 from 18 in comparison to 68 from 23? That's a negligible difference, if Rance had played 23 games on those averages he would have had a total of 2 more R50. Hooker was the best defender over the last two seasons interception wise (most intercept possessions and marks 2 years in a row) and defensively wise last season as well. Either way there is no definitive way of saying that Rance provides more rebound, the difference either way is negligible.

Rance played 5 games less than Hooker last year, so it wouldn't be fair to judge these two on totals. Hooker is a great intercept player, no doubt, But i still think Rance was the best this year.

Either way there is no definitive way of saying that Rance provides more rebound, the difference either way is negligible.

This is the one where you probably have to watch games, rather than use stats. But from the games I've seen, I dont see Hooker rebound it the way Rance does.

Haha so you were claiming hooker averaged more intercept possessions and marks, but you were completely wrong so you're focusing on the rebound 50's and how the difference is "negligeble". How is it fair to look at totals when rance played less games? Ridiculous.

Haha so you were claiming hooker averaged more intercept possessions and marks, but you were completely wrong so you're focusing on the rebound 50's and how the difference is "negligeble". How is it fair to look at totals when rance played less games? Ridiculous.
I never claimed he averaged more, I said he had more, which is correct. The word average was never typed in relationship to interceptions. Rance had 41 intercept marks (regular season) in 2014, Hooker 49. Rance had 139 intercept possessions, Hooker 152.

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Averages between the 2

Hooker vs Rance
Poss -
18.6 - 17.4
Kicks - 10.4 - 8.5
R50s - 2.95 - 3.0
Marks -
7.4 - 5.7
Cont Marks - 1 - 0.94
Goals Conceded - 1.26 - 1.27
1%ers - 5.5 - 8.5

I never claimed he averaged more, I said he had more, which is correct. The word average was never typed in relationship to interceptions. Rance had 41 intercept marks (regular season) in 2014, Hooker 49. Rance had 139 intercept possessions, Hooker 152.

And please explain to me how that is fair considering rance only played 18 games?

Because totals reflect a whole season.

You can't compare totals when a player plays 5 less games lol average shows the real story

You can't compare totals when a player plays 5 less games lol average shows the real story
Yes you can. If you can't play a full season it suggests that you're unlikely to keep those averages up.

Yes you can. If you can't play a full season it suggests that you're unlikely to keep those averages up.

HAHA oh lord, your logic is so flawed. Wasting my time.

HAHA oh lord, your logic is so flawed. Wasting my time.
How so? If you get injured it says you can't run out a full season, and by that standard you can't hold up to those averages.

Is any body else reading this and laughing like I am? He broke his foot in a freak accident before the season started. How in gods name does that somehow mean he wouldn't be able to keep his averages up? Hahaha wow

BD03

Draftee
Jan 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
How so? If you get injured it says you can't run out a full season, and by that standard you can't hold up to those averages.

Injuries are somewhat accidents, unless you are consistently getting injured that's a different story. But being injured once and then saying that he cant run out a season is just outright ridiculous.

Is any body else reading this and laughing like I am? He broke his foot in a freak accident before the season started. How in gods name does that somehow mean he wouldn't be able to keep his averages up? Hahaha wow
How about how Hooker's maintained this level for two years, unlike Rance? Only Richmond fans say that is rebounding output is better than Hooker's, which is blatantly incorrect. When Rance keeps it up over another season he might be at Hooker's level in that regard.

Back