Player Watch #18: Alex Rance

Remove this Banner Ad

King wrote an article about Malthouse last week that just didnt say anything. It was amazing how he could say nothing with so many words.

Rance had a close relationship with Leppa is what he is basing it on. Already been pointed out the non reality of Brisbane being a finals chance in the forseeable future.

Lets just say for a second Rance does choose to leave, which unfortunately is not out of the question and the longer it goes on before he re commits, the more chance he wont.

* We would have to get a first round comp pick (his contract would far outweigh Frawley's)
* We would have additional cash to spend elsewhere (a top up to our already considerable war chest??)
* An opportunity for Elton to step up?

It would be far from ideal for Rance to leave but it happens and we will lose a player we really don't want to at some point. The test will how we turn that negative into as big a positive as possible.

With 2 first round choices and cash we should be aggressive in chasing players, both FA and others from other clubs to bolster our list.

Tiger Whats your gut feel on the whole situation?

He will re sign with us. Rance is a unique cat, he has history on this as well if you remember his last contract. Rance might have been thinking of retiring, that I have no doubt and also the JW stuff is more true then not, just a tad over exaggerated. One thing that was clear through out, is that Rance loves the players he is playing with, they are all super close and want to build something together. From what I got told, that the leaders of the group ie cotchin, rance, martin, lids etc all made a promise to each other to see this through and stay together.

It is the reason they have re signed, less then what there worth. My read on all this, is rance will be re signed, no later then rnd 12.

Reckon Rancid will sign on with us as well...but...

if he doesn't and wants to go to Brissy as a frre agent, what sort of compo would we get?
Less than what Melb got for Frawley at this stage.:mad:

He will re sign with us. Rance is a unique cat, he has history on this as well if you remember his last contract. Rance might have been thinking of retiring, that I have no doubt and also the JW stuff is more true then not, just a tad over exaggerated. One thing that was clear through out, is that Rance loves the players he is playing with, they are all super close and want to build something together. From what I got told, that the leaders of the group ie cotchin, rance, martin, lids etc all made a promise to each other to see this through and stay together.

It is the reason they have re signed, less then what there worth. My read on all this, is rance will be re signed, no later then rnd 12.
You are the best in the business!!

Such a legend!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David Kings article. Wow. So what he didn't point out was when Rance last signed the current contract and how he was playing. That's actually the key point. 3-4 years ago Rance was getting potted by the same media.
Also, Brisbanes most awesome midfield. They only got polaxed on their home ground by 79 points by our midfield.
So in trying to understand the logic, Rance will leave his club of 8 years, where all his mates are, and the city where his family lives and wife comes from, and a club that has just played consecutive finals appearances and 70k of members, for a team that is bottom 4, players still looking to leave, no finals prospects, limited mates i'd suggest, relocate his wife, for pretty much the same money, and play at the 1/3 full gabba instead of the mcg?
This is why you can't take jilted ex coaches in the media too seriously.

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power.

will leave and who can blame him for wanting to leave this bunch of latte sippers.

But Rancer loves a Latte......:p

what compo pick do we think we will get? he would be on a contract like frawley and is about the same age so youd think first round, so we would be looking at something like having picks 6 & 7. It would give us something to bargain with if shiel is still an option.
Pick 2

OK here goes... Took my 6yo son to the Brando's Buddies clinic at Punt Rd this morning. Braved the weather, got washed out, everyone ended up in the grandstand. Happened to be sitting with the throng of players who came along (about 20 of them).

Jack took over, grabbed the mic and invited players up to be interviewed by him, and then allowed the kids to ask questions.

At one point Jack asked the kids if they wanted to hear from Brando or Tross. Rancey was the overwhelming favourite, and he was beaming. He was sitting next to me and when he got up he was playing up to the kids.

When he took the microphone his words were "before I answer any questions, there's no media here is there?"... followed by "don't believe everything you hear".

He was very comfortable, yes he's a little bit out there, joked with the kids about riding his scooter there this morning in the rain whilst the other boys drove their Jeeps, but talking to a few other lads I'd be EXTREMELY surprised to see him elsewhere next year.

Just my observations from today.

Nice one peterbuch74 , thanks for sharing . Bet all the littlies had a ball still with the boys...Sounds like Rance & jack were in their element ?

Nice one peterbuch74 , thanks for sharing . Bet all the littlies had a ball still with the boys...Sounds like Rance & jack were in their element ?

Very much so... as was Ivvy. Jack dragged Dusty up, and even with a microphone, none of us could hear him. He's a shy lad that one!

One who impressed me when talking to him was big Reece McKenzie. Stood next to me in the stand and I checked to see if he was on the next step up! Geez he's a unit. Rancey was asked by one of the kids what 1 attribute would he take from any other player on the list, and he replied with McK's hands. The boys speak very highly of him... His face lit up when my 6yo spoke to him and knew who he was too.

Very much so... as was Ivvy. Jack dragged Dusty up, and even with a microphone, none of us could hear him. He's a shy lad that one!

One who impressed me when talking to him was big Reece McKenzie. Stood next to me in the stand and I checked to see if he was on the next step up! Geez he's a unit. Rancey was asked by one of the kids what 1 attribute would he take from any other player on the list, and he replied with McK's hands. The boys speak very highly of him... His face lit up when my 6yo spoke to him and knew who he was too.

Awesome stuff, I'd have loved to have been there, hope you guys got lots of pics. Something you can look back on ...specially your little fella!! Love hearing this sort of thing. Bet it'll do the Big Reece Mc alot of good. Funny how we can forget that the boys are still Human & that they can be touched by the supporters too.:)

Stories like that make a loss like Friday not so disappointing IMO

The boys were still hurting today after Friday nights loss. The each spoke about how disappointed they were as a group, and that they expect more from themselves. I said to Ivvy to show us supporters how much it hurt them next Saturday!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back