Player Watch #18: Alex Rance

Remove this Banner Ad

If a premiership meant more than anything theres no way he picks Richmond over Freo...

That is a little short sighted. We are still funny enough a relative young side. We finally have a back 6 that can hold the best size to a reasonable score. Who is to say that in the next 2 drafts, we dont bolster our midfield forward line. Once we do that, and our back 6 have played 2 more years together, who is not to say in 2- 3 years we bust our window open ?

One thing ill say, now personally i believe our recruiters are still to conservative but they are targeting very specific FA and players from other clubs that can fit into our build. Unlike Norf who snap at the first that comes around. I still think we could be more aggressive and throw more $$ but so far ill back them. Its not a small thing, we are one of the rare clubs who have not lost anyone to FA

Given he's re-signed lids, cotch, dusty, and now rance, all of whom had bigger offers in front of them, what does this mean for richo?

The Wah Wah Wah brigade have had him on their "sack everyone" list for some time because of his failure to land a whale.

Surely keeping these four happy in an era of free agency may be a sign the guy isn't the clueless douche some have been spamming he is?

Agree but it puts heaps of pressure on Dan internally and from those very same players. There is a reason they took less, they want us to go buy an A grade talent or two that can immediately improve us as a side. Dan needs to do this, as next time round it wont be as easy to convince them to take under's if dan fails to do what he has told them IMO

Freo closer to a flag but in 2years they will be s**t house. If rance was to leave it would of been Brisy good money good young midfield and splashing the cash also not a football state so unlikely to get stalked again but glad he signed for us doubt he thought of playing anywhere else

Agree but it puts heaps of pressure on Dan internally and from those very same players. There is a reason they took less, they want us to go buy an A grade talent or two that can immediately improve us as a side. Dan needs to do this, as next time round it wont be as easy to convince them to take under's if dan fails to do what he has told them IMO

That's only an issue if he's doing the high bidding game though

Everything we've heard from the club since he came was we have pretty strict Policy on wage brackets in the club

This is why I think we will never pay the $1m for danger. We know the price of getting him isn't just his wage

Just read that the club held the news of Rance's signing from the players, question is why would they do this, it's not like it was horrible news it was friggen spectacular news, Dimma, Cotch knew on Thursday but chose not to tell the playing group, WTF were they thinking.
Of course the players knew, just look at Grigg's comments in the video about the new rec room. Looks like it was done a few days ago but the club waited to release it publicly.

That is a little short sighted. We are still funny enough a relative young side. We finally have a back 6 that can hold the best size to a reasonable score. Who is to say that in the next 2 drafts, we dont bolster our midfield forward line. Once we do that, and our back 6 have played 2 more years together, who is not to say in 2- 3 years we bust our window open ?

One thing ill say, now personally i believe our recruiters are still to conservative but they are targeting very specific FA and players from other clubs that can fit into our build. Unlike Norf who snap at the first that comes around. I still think we could be more aggressive and throw more $$ but so far ill back them. Its not a small thing, we are one of the rare clubs who have not lost anyone to FA
Yep, like the sentiment with what you are saying. Jack Trengove was one target last year that surprised. Just on the FA, what about Matt White?

Unfortunately we are destined to be that positioned 6-10 side for the next 5 years. We are miles off Sydney and Hawthorn, and GWS and GC are one pre season from surpassing us. As The top two age for the worse, the expansion clubs age for the better. Gold coast with a full list finish top 6 minimum next year and will also have a great draft this year thanks to injuries. GWS will be around abouts as well. The two clubs will be the Haw/Freo?Syd of the next 5-8 years and our list will never have the depth that they will have.

Unfortunately we are destined to be that positioned 6-10 side for the next 5 years. We are miles off Sydney and Hawthorn, and GWS and GC are one pre season from surpassing us. As The top two age for the worse, the expansion clubs age for the better. Gold coast with a full list finish top 6 minimum next year and will also have a great draft this year thanks to injuries. GWS will be around abouts as well. The two clubs will be the Haw/Freo?Syd of the next 5-8 years and our list will never have the depth that they will have.

Remember Gold Coast will not be able to hold their players.

They have a lot of elite talent and they all cannot be on 700K when they need some depth.

If GWS are that notch above etc.. how will they keep them? Plus once they win one or 2 any reason not to chase other dreams?

Remember Gold Coast will not be able to hold their players.

They have a lot of elite talent and they all cannot be on 700K when they need some depth.

If GWS are that notch above etc.. how will they keep them? Plus once they win one or 2 any reason not to chase other dreams?
Miles for example is a starter on our list, he couldn't get a game up there. Say both expansion clubs do lose a couple, there depth is far better than ours its not funny.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dayne beams didn't look to happy when asked about rance staying ead you bogan knob

Yeh but who wouldn't be disappointed if they thought they might be a chance to pick up Trossman ??? Just very happy RFC got him back in the stable...

Miles for example is a starter on our list, he couldn't get a game up there. Say both expansion clubs do lose a couple, there depth is far better than ours its not funny.

GWS does have plenty of options/depth but I don't think the depth at GC is not nearly as good.

But GWS can't keep them all and they even know that while GC have to reshuffle the list a little bit because they have a lot of absolute top shell players which would be hard to keep for team balance under the salary cap IMO

Last edited:
Would love to have Astbury be injury free, to allow Rance a bit more freedom. However can we rely on that, probably not. Will Elton be any good? Who knows but I think he could be a good back up needed. Would love to get Henderson but he would cost a high pick so not sure we pull that trigger. Still need midfielders as a priority I think, like a Yarran who can run fast and break lines.
He would go ok...good at either half line. Or draft 'em...I reckon we are 2 years out...

Just heard on the M's that it is around 700-750k a year. Id say that is pretty fair. Couldnt find a better defender for cheaper.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Just heard on the M's that it is around 700-750k a year. Id say that is pretty fair. Couldnt find a better defender for cheaper.

Very very much doubt that to be honest, Rance would of taken unders to remain at Richmond and i would doubt thats the number, More like $600-$650 max

Far out, spent all of yesterday not on the internet then log on and see this. Im so happy im lost for words, might have a couple of beers today :D
Just for something different? By that you mean a couple instead of a carton, right? :p

Why would he take unders?

Not sure it matters, to have lost him would have been a disaster for the club, keeping him and the other players that re-signed recently shows we are a club players want to play for, it also suggests the players still believe in Dimma and the direction of the club?

Whatever we paid Im sure he could have got more elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back