List Mgmt. Alex Rance?

Remove this Banner Ad

He can't do it better than Deledio who is paid $750,000 a year.
What Richmond pay Deledio doesn't matter. We need a KPD and what we pay him is our business, which is to A. keep pressing for top four and B. field a competitive team who can take us to a GF. If that costs $800K, so be it. If you could buy four years of experience and development in a can from shops then we wouldn't have this problem, but we can't so we have to pay for a player, one that we weren't smart enough, or lucky enough, to develop ourselves in the first place.

What Richmond pay Deledio doesn't matter. We need a KPD and what we pay him is our business, which is to A. keep pressing for top four and B. field a competitive team who can take us to a GF. If that costs $800K, so be it. If you could buy four years of experience and development in a can from shops then we wouldn't have this problem, but we can't so we have to pay for a player, one that we weren't smart enough, or lucky enough, to develop ourselves in the first place.

I get your perspective, I really do.

I just think that tall defense isn't a position that needs to be filled by a superstar and having one in there is a luxury.
Lonergan is a really good tall back, he isn't a star. Silvani is a good tall back, he isn't a star. Players of this grade will be just fine when surrounded by a good structure and a hard working midfield.

The big differentiation between really good key backs and the elite ones is the one that marks and the one that spoils. Our game plan is built on spoils, whether over the boundary or through for a behind. We back our ability to win a stoppage clearance or a loose ground ball.

I honestly believe we would get more value from an elite midfielder for $750,000+ than we would from a key defender on the same money.

I just think that tall defense isn't a position that needs to be filled by a superstar and having one in there is a luxury.
Lonergan is a really good tall back, he isn't a star. Silvani is a good tall back, he isn't a star. Players of this grade will be just fine when surrounded by a good structure and a hard working midfield.

The big differentiation between really good key backs and the elite ones is the one that marks and the one that spoils. Our game plan is built on spoils, whether over the boundary or through for a behind. We back our ability to win a stoppage clearance or a loose ground ball.

I honestly believe we would get more value from an elite midfielder for $750,000+ than we would from a key defender on the same money.
Silvagni is fine but he's not durable. The guy is often injured at the worst time for us. After him, who do we have who isn't approaching retirement? Lonergan is serviceable but the Cats backline was very leaky last year. To keep with the Cats theme, we don't need a Lonergan, we need a Scarlett.

I don't think our game plan is built on spoils, certainly Johnson and Ibbotson, sometimes Spurr, will intercept mark in the backline. It's really only the Dawsons and Silvagnis who spoil. But we just need a big backman who can help organise the defence and who is street smart enough to go with the key or power forwards of the opposition. They need to be able to defend one on one as well as within our structures. We can't ask our mids to do all of the work, it's just not sustainable.

The thing with paying Rance that sort of money, is we could heavily front end the contract seeing as there is no one else really for the cap to be divvyed up to plus McPharlin/Pav/Sandi etc will be retiring. The room will be needed in a couple of years time when guys like Neale (coming off a Brownlow), Sheridan (hopefully), Crozier, Tabs (if he is still around) and all the other under 25s are coming up for contract renewals. At the moment we can afford to pay Rance whatever he wants this year and the next when in techincally he could end up being a $400k/year player in a couple of years.

Bingo!

Lets put that $800k per season in perspective.

The AFL has recently released their 2014 Annual Report. On page 127 is a breakdown of players' salaries for season 2014.

Of the 719 senior listed players:

Only 2 earned $1 million+.
Only 2 others earned between $900 001 and $1 million.
Only 6 others earned between $800 001 and $900k.
Only 10 others earned between $700 001 and $800k.
A further 26 earned between $600 001 and $700k.
Another 32 earned between $500 001 and $600k.

A total of 20 (2.78%) earned over $700k.

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/Annual Report/2014-AFL-Annual-Report.pdf

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure what this obsession with parachuting in players is all about. Judging from some of the posts on here it would seem we are doomed if we can't entice a key position player - ANY key position player - from another club.

Tony Modra says hi, as does Scotty Gumbledon, Jack Anthony, Trent Croad, Chris Tarrant. Not saying they were all failures, but just remind me which of them helped us win our first flag?

If we can get a good quality key position player AT THE RIGHT PRICE then we should always go for it, but not if we have to pay ridiculous money for them. Alex Rance is not the only KPD we could look at and if he wants more than $600K per year I'd rather we got two KPDs from the state leagues at $300K each.

We did not lose the 2013 GF because we were a KPD short, we lost it because we didn't execute basic skills. Anyone watched Rance's skill closely - I don't think he would have added anything to our 2013 GF effort.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have someone of Rance's calibre in the team, but if he only comes here because we are offering more coin than anyone else I have a feeling we will regret it in the long run.

I'm not sure what this obsession with parachuting in players is all about. Judging from some of the posts on here it would seem we are doomed if we can't entice a key position player - ANY key position player - from another club.

Tony Modra says hi, as does Scotty Gumbledon, Jack Anthony, Trent Croad, Chris Tarrant. Not saying they were all failures, but just remind me which of them helped us win our first flag?

If we can get a good quality key position player AT THE RIGHT PRICE then we should always go for it, but not if we have to pay ridiculous money for them. Alex Rance is not the only KPD we could look at and if he wants more than $600K per year I'd rather we got two KPDs from the state leagues at $300K each.

We did not lose the 2013 GF because we were a KPD short, we lost it because we didn't execute basic skills. Anyone watched Rance's skill closely - I don't think he would have added anything to our 2013 GF effort.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have someone of Rance's calibre in the team, but if he only comes here because we are offering more coin than anyone else I have a feeling we will regret it in the long run.

We'll always have to pay overs due to the travel factor.

None of them even helped us win our first final.

Which 2015 FA midfielder then?
Dangerfield would make us better.
I know nobody thinks he would come and expect every footballer to run back home, especially the Victorians but I don't think he is out of reach.

Heath Grundy would fill a hole for three years at half the cost too.

Dangerfield would make us better.
I know nobody thinks he would come and expect every footballer to run back home, especially the Victorians but I don't think he is out of reach.

Heath Grundy would fill a hole for three years at half the cost too.
Two reasons why we won't get Patrick Dangerfield.

Firstly, Dangerfield is reportedly desperately homesick for his beloved Moggs Creek (population 354).

Road distances:

Adelaide to Moggs Creek: 749 kms.
Perth to Moggs Creek: 3441 kms.
Geelong to Moggs Creek: 53 kms.

Secondly, his asking price.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...star-125-million/story-fni5f4l8-1227276980458

AFL rivals could afford to pay Patrick Dangerfield up to $1.25 million a season without disrupting their salary cap, according to the man who helped build Hawthorn’s premiership list.

Veteran list manager Chris Pelchen believes Melbourne clubs will have to pay Dangerfield more than $1 million a year if they are to trump Geelong for his services.

Couldn't agree more. Rance is a very good last defender.. But that's it. He's not a play maker off half back. The big bucks are definately better spent elsewhere.

A week ago, we were said to be offering Rance $800k (Jon Ralph). This week it's a mega $750k. I'll be at ease with it all in another 3 weeks' time when it's down around $600k.

image.jpg

A week ago, we were said to be offering Rance $800k (Jon Ralph). This week it's a mega $750k. I'll be at ease with it all in another 3 weeks' time when it's down around $600k.

View attachment 121098
Meh, Rance is top class. We probably are after him but the money is nothing but the media having blind guesses imo. As long as we don't lose any of our good under 25 players to get him (through salary cap concerns) he's welcome here.

On a side note liked Eddies comments about Keefe. No superstar but if he's a delisted free agent, he's worth going after.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back