Toast Alex Silvagni

beetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not enough has been said about how good Silvagni was on the weekend.

He slotted into the back line with ease and really provided a lot of rebound. Very happy and comfortable knowing he is down there. Made life easier for Johnno and Dawson.

Big call but if McPharlin was fit, I'd probably still rather Silvagni in the team.

free at last

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
south of lat 32
AFL Club
Fremantle

He slotted into the back line with ease and really provided a lot of rebound. Very happy and comfortable knowing he is down there. Made life easier for Johnno and Dawson.

Big call but if McPharlin was fit, I'd probably still rather Silvagni in the team.

Maca's confidence in his body is gone,we need fit and firing players when the whips are cracking.Unfortunately,I think maca has to sit it out and play if called upon.

JunglistPosse

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

Wait till couldhavebeen sees this....

couldhavebeen

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2012
success
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth lyncs
Wait till couldhavebeen sees this....
Thank you yes I have read this post and I agree that he played a great game for the team .

He has proved time and again that when ever his is given a game he will give his all for the team no mater where they want to play him .
I would reserve my judgement on him holding out a fit Mcpharlin but I think he offers more as a swing man when and the team needs one .
He has come a long way in his improvement as a player so now if Mcpharlin hangs up the boots I have no doubt that Snos can cover his lose to the team .

Now we have Silvagni up to speed the next player I want to see take some big strides is Alex Pearce because I see his being the next big thing in our back 6.
This kid can play but is not ready yet but with another Pre Season under his belt he has serious potential to replace Dawson or Johnson when ever they are injured or loose form .
Yes I will call for his inclusion in the team but not yet so keep the powder dry folks .

Outshined

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2009
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Good game defensively, but needs to cut out the rushed kick. Had more time than he gave himself on numerous occasions.

FrancisX

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Was surprised he extended his contract for a year last year, was certain he'd move on to another club for more opportunities. I was more amazed he signed another deal this year.

I have always been a fan of him - was tough and admirable in our injury ravaged 2011 season. Takes strong marks. Can be a little clumsy but he puts his body on the line.

The fact that he has decided to stick with the club says to me coaches and management were constantly reassuring him and telling him to hang in there - 'we see your hard work you will get your chance, you are being groomed'. He has just been unlucky because of the amount of quality defenders, whether small med or tall we have.

PeelnThunder

Senior List
Aug 8, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Besides his kicking he was promising. But I think his kicking was more a confidence brain fade thing.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
He is a good ordinary player. In my opinion we need someone of a higher calibre, as MacPharlin has been. pretty happy to have Silvagni with us right now, but if our KPDs are Silvagni and Dawson then I am nervous. they can both play a role well. But they lack class, smarts and flair. Would not be comfortable with either of them playing on some players. Good grunt though.

I am hoping Pearce and Smith develop quickly to provide us alternatives, but Smith has been through a lot of injuries and Pearce still looks like he will need at least another season in development, and anyway may not be a genuine KPD, more a Johnson type.

Spoken4

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle & Peel Thunder
He is a good ordinary player. In my opinion we need someone of a higher calibre, as MacPharlin has been. pretty happy to have Silvagni with us right now, but if our KPDs are Silvagni and Dawson then I am nervous. they can both play a role well. But they lack class, smarts and flair. Would not be comfortable with either of them playing on some players. Good grunt though.

I am hoping Pearce and Smith develop quickly to provide us alternatives, but Smith has been through a lot of injuries and Pearce still looks like he will need at least another season in development, and anyway may not be a genuine KPD, more a Johnson type.

Freo took a good ordinary forward in Tarrant and with perserverance, turned him into a quality defender. Give Silvagni a whole season of games and he will be a good KPD for us.

johnthegardener

Team Captain
Jan 14, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
Two things that I keep reminding myself about regarding Silvagni. Firstly he's played predominantly with the WAFL this year and yesterday it appeared that he was very conscious of the increased pressure hence the somewhat hurried kicks, making sure he wasn't caught with the ball.
In a couple more games this aspect will improve dramatically I"m sure.

Secondly, didn't he have a tremendous game against Buddy a couple of years ago. Beat him pointless if I remember correctly.

With all this I"m quite comfortable with him in the side.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Freo took a good ordinary forward in Tarrant and with perserverance, turned him into a quality defender. Give Silvagni a whole season of games and he will be a good KPD for us.

I am not disagreeing, although he is a limited KPD in many ways, much like Dawson.

You are underselling Tarrant a little who had been AA, though obviously was unable to replicate/sustain that. However it demonstrates the talent that he clearly possessed. Kudos to him and the club for inverting his role.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
I am a lot more excited about Pearce than Smith. Other than getting injured a lot Tanner is not a great kick and looks more a Dawson type (not that there is anything wrong with that).
Pearce looks on a whole other level potentially (hopefully more a McPharlin type!).

Apr 7, 2010
West
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Brewers
I am a lot more excited about Pearce than Smith. Other than getting injured a lot Tanner is not a great kick and looks more a Dawson type (not that there is anything wrong with that).
Pearce looks on a whole other level potentially (hopefully more a McPharlin type!).

With more than a touch of MJ about him too, agree that he's a bit special.

DMan 11

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2012
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
What's with the dissing of Silvia's kicking on the weekend ???
He took a couple of long options that paid off and opened play right up - can't ask for more than that.
Yes, he has a slightly looping shorter kick but in all honesty that's a safer technique for someone who isn't the greatest by foot. He knows his limitations and works to them.

Off topic, saw mcgoverns game for wet toast and REALLY liked what he brings to them down back ( sadly) . Reckon we missed one there ...

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mcpharlin at full fitness is better but he's not & lets face it never will be again. So Silvanni has to be the best option. We can't carry suspect players into games anymore it puts too much pressure on the rest of the team.

Back